Currency Exchange

Aug 21, 2012
Hi Knowledgeable people,

I really need some help!

As I had previously posted, We'll be in Europe for our honeymoon in a couple weeks till early Jan. Seeing as though the exchange rate between Canadian dollar and Euro isn't so great right now, would I still save money by purchasing in Italy/France?

Some of the sweet ladies on here informed me that Chanel bags don't go on sale in Europe. Should I be buying some sale bags in the states now or wait till I'm in Europe to buy regular price? I won't be able to do both but if by default Europe is 30% cheaper, then I would want to buy something in Europe even if it's not on sale but if everything ends up being the same price as US/Canadian after the exchanger rate, then I rather buy something on sale here now.

Please advise as I'm really stuck and not sure what's a better decision.

Thank you all in advance!

Because of tax issues, bags are cheaper in the EU than in the U.S. How much depends on if you declare them, and how many (and how much $ you spend) you buy. Some declare, some don't. You will get classic line bags from stores in EU that you will never find discounted in the U.S. Buy what you want not what's on sale just because it's on sale.

Because of tax issues, bags are cheaper in the EU than in the U.S. How much depends on if you declare them, and how many (and how much $ you spend) you buy. Some declare, some don't. You will get classic line bags from stores in EU that you will never find discounted in the U.S. Buy what you want not what's on sale just because it's on sale.

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

To be honest I would only buy bags I love regardless but I would love to make the best decision financially. I've seen some that I like on sale but I'm sure I'll also see some in Europe that I will love. I'm more concerned about making the best financial move. I was just looking at a couple of examples, and I must have been doing the math wrong as the price didn't seem that different after the VAT refund and the exchange rate to US pricing. But if you're sure with the current exchange rate, it's still cheaper, I'll wait to Europe as I'd love to see my options there. I just didn't want to miss on the good deals now, and be shocked by the sticker price once in Europe:smile:

Bottom line- I'm looking for the best deal as I would find something I love at either place.