Culling your collection

In the last few years I've become unhappy with having bags I never use. I no longer consider them investment pieces or tell myself into thinking I might want them in the future. Right now on ebay I have 2 Oroton, 2 Marc Jacobs and 2 Louis Vuitton which have not been sold for months :hrmm: I thought with Christmas coming up someone might be interested in buying. And the Oroton and Marc Jacobs I'm selling 80% off because they did not hold their value at all.

Is anyone trying to cull their collection with no success? And what would you recommend. I was thinking after Christmas to stop listing and wait a few months before re-listing.

Share your culling stories!

Me! I've got several bags listed with best offer. I've got heaps of watchers on them all and ebay just had a 10% off coupon for items over $75....not one offer in that time. They've all been hardly used and in near new condition, are popular styles with most being classics that are still available and listed for less than half their new price.
Not reducing them further, the buyer is free to submit an offer of what they're willing to pay and I've just had nothing. Not sure why there are SO many watchers yet no real interest.
Happy to leave them listed but I'd prefer to keep them than give them away. Just surprised no one has made any offers at all given the amount of watchers there is.

Me! I've got several bags listed with best offer. I've got heaps of watchers on them all and ebay just had a 10% off coupon for items over $75....not one offer in that time. They've all been hardly used and in near new condition, are popular styles with most being classics that are still available and listed for less than half their new price.
Not reducing them further, the buyer is free to submit an offer of what they're willing to pay and I've just had nothing. Not sure why there are SO many watchers yet no real interest.
Happy to leave them listed but I'd prefer to keep them than give them away. Just surprised no one has made any offers at all given the amount of watchers there is.

The watchers with no real interest has happened to me too! I originally did best offer and kept getting lowballs or offers that were asking to trade bags. I hope our bags sell soon.

i've had one bag listed almost 9 months. i took it down for about 3 months during the year and relisted last month again. i am trying to sell certain bags through the new year sales time and then take them down and either consign them for whatever i can, or just start to use and enjoy them again. mine are chanel and lv only, so just because it's high-end doesn't mean it's a fast/easy sale. i am trying to cull about 8-10 bags and just have promised myself to not buy another one until i generate some sales. the loss of value feels a bit better if you use and enjoy the bag, so while some are for sale i've been enjoying them still. so at least they are getting some wear.

I've sold over 100 bags over the last 4 years as I completely revamped my collection - going from over 130 mismatched bags to my current much loved and curated collection of 27. I've sold bags at high price points (pristine Chanel) to lower (well worn contemporary). I've sold on eBay, Tradesy and consigned bags...

...and I hate it!! :yucky: Selling bags is a pain but doable.

Resale consumers (like me as I buy resale too) research and won't pay a penny above the going rate for a bag. They also want bags that are in great shape with all the original collateral. I will absolutely pass over a dream bag that is priced poorly, a little worn or comes without the collateral (dust bags, boxes, cards, etc) because I can. A pristine, intact, aggressively priced version will almost always show up if I'm patient. I have to get a great deal to buy less than pristine and fully intact bags.

So as sellers, we have to know that the buyer is in the driver's seat. :-s Here are my tips because there is hope!!! :smile:

PRICING
• Know what your bag is worth RESALE. Research what similar bags (model AND condition) have sold for and list your bag at or 5% less than that. It doesn't matter what you paid for it or what you want to "get out of it". A buyer will only pay what the market says the bag is worth.
• If your bag isn't pristine or doesn't come with expected collateral, you HAVE to discount it from market rate. For example, even if a Chanel looks pristine, it may have to be discounted by 10-20% if the authentication card or hologram sticker is missing.
• Show the original price of the bag with your price and percent off to remind buyers they are getting a deal. For example. "Originally $5500. Offered now for 45% OFF at only $3000!!"
• Lots of watchers over several months means your bag is liked / wanted but the price is too high. They are waiting for you to lower the price. Do so and you will likely get a sale.
• If you are willing to sell for x, list at x. Don't inflate the price and ask for offers. Some people don't want to haggle. Plus your bag may look expensive as people sort by price. I only use best offer when a bag isn't widely known and I can't get a read on market value.
• In eBay you can set listings to only see ones at x or above. I don't usually use that option because I've sold bags by pleasantly negotiating with lowballers. It's not personal and I can nicely give them a reasonable counter which they sometimes take.

PHOTOS
• Clean / condition the bag so it looks great.
• Take clear, well lit pictures - front, back, sides, bottom, interior, tags, brand markers, collateral (dust bags, etc.). Add a manufacturer beauty shot so people see the bag at its best (especially important for slouchy bags) but, make sure all other photos are of the actual bag.
• Stage photos well with a clean, neutral background. No bags on the floor, the grass, a messy table or an unmade bed. Keep your hands and other body parts out of the pictures. If you feel a modeling shot is needed, use a manufacturer modeling shot (google) v your selfie.
• Clearly show and describe any flaws. Not only is this the right thing to do but it makes your listing seem more credible and saves on returns.

LISTINGS
• Offer detailed and complete descriptions with brand, model name, measurements (including strap drop), color, material, hardware color, condition and if it comes with the dust bag, box, etc.
• For expensive and / or oft faked bags, its worth it to have the bag authenticated and list that in the listing with info on how they can verify the authentication.
• List on multiple sites to catch as many buyers as possible.
• Don't keep your bag off the market long. I do pull bags off for a couple of weeks to "clear" the watchers and start over but, months off means missed buyers.

I hope this helps. I currently have a fairly expensive bag with a consigner that hasn't sold in 6 months that I plan to take back and sell on my own.:crybaby: (I can sell it for less since I won't have to pay the commission.) And I have several other bags I need to list. :frown:

I'm SO happy I'm at the end of my bag collection reboot and that these are the last bags I expect to sell for a VERY long time. But til they're gone, I'm in the battle with you. Good luck!!

Sparkletastic has great advice. I've used Tradesy for clothes and shoes, and have sold one handbag there once (I haven't yet gotten the courage to cull my handbag collection quite yet!). What works best for me, and this is painful, is to sell for a bargain. Much of my stuff will go to Goodwill anyway, so even if I can sell for something, it's better than nothing.

I've sold over 100 bags over the last 4 years as I completely revamped my collection - going from over 130 mismatched bags to my current much loved and curated collection of 27. I've sold bags at high price points (pristine Chanel) to lower (well worn contemporary). I've sold on eBay, Tradesy and consigned bags...

Resale consumers (like me as I buy resale too) research and won't pay a penny above the going rate for a bag. They also want bags that are in great shape with all the original collateral. I will absolutely pass over a dream bag that is priced poorly, a little worn or comes without the collateral (dust bags, boxes, cards, etc) because I can. A pristine, intact, aggressively priced version will almost always show up if I'm patient. I have to get a great deal to buy less than pristine and fully intact bags.

So as sellers, we have to know that the buyer is in the driver's seat. :-s Here are my tips because there is hope!!! :smile:

PRICING
• Know what your bag is worth RESALE. Research what similar bags (model AND condition) have sold for and list your bag at or 5% less than that. It doesn't matter what you paid for it or what you want to "get out of it". A buyer will only pay what the market says the bag is worth.
• If your bag isn't pristine or doesn't come with expected collateral, you HAVE to discount it from market rate. For example, even if a Chanel looks pristine, it may have to be discounted by 10-20% if the authentication card or hologram sticker is missing.
• Show the original price of the bag with your price and percent off to remind buyers they are getting a deal. For example. "Originally $5500. Offered now for 45% OFF at only $3000!!"
• Lots of watchers over several months means your bag is liked / wanted but the price is too high. They are waiting for you to lower the price. Do so and you will likely get a sale.
• If you are willing to sell for x, list at x. Don't inflate the price and ask for offers. Some people don't want to haggle. Plus your bag may look expensive as people sort by price. I only use best offer when a bag isn't widely known and I can't get a read on market value.
• In eBay you can set listings to only see ones at x or above. I don't usually use that option because I've sold bags by pleasantly negotiating with lowballers. It's not personal and I can nicely give them a reasonable counter which they sometimes take.

PHOTOS
• Take clear, well lit pictures - front, back, sides, bottom, interior, tags, brand markers, collateral (dust bags, etc.). Add a manufacturer beauty shot so people see the bag at its best (especially important for slouchy bags) but, make sure all other photos are of the actual bag.
• Stage photos well with a clean, neutral background. No bags on the floor, the grass, a messy table or an unmade bed. Keep your hands and other body parts out of the pictures. If you feel a modeling shot is needed, use a manufacturer modeling shot (google) v your selfie.
• Clearly show and describe any flaws. Not only is this the right thing to do but it makes your listing seem more credible and saves on returns.

LISTINGS
• Offer detailed and complete descriptions with brand, model name, measurements (including strap drop), color, material, hardware color, condition and if it comes with the dust bag, box, etc.
• For expensive and / or oft faked bags, its worth it to have the bag authenticated and list that in the listing with info on how they can verify the authentication.
• Don't keep your bag off the market long. I do pull bags off for a couple of weeks to "clear" the watchers and start over but, months off means missed buyers.

I hope this helps. I currently have a fairly expensive bag with a consigner that hasn't sold in 6 months that I plan to take back and sell on my own.:crybaby: (I can sell it for less since I won't have to pay the commission.) And I have several other bags I need to list. :frown:

I'm SO happy I'm at the end of my bag collection reboot and that these are the last bags I expect to sell for a VERY long time. But til they're gone, I'm in the battle with you. Good luck!!
Sparkletastic, you said it all. I agree 1000%! I'm not much of an eBayer but I have a close relation who has been doing it for years. People quite frequently over-estimate the value of their product and then don't understand why it doesn't sell. When it comes to reselling bags (or most anything for that matter) it's definitely a buyers market. The luxury market is fickle. I have two daughters and rather than give my little used bags away on eBay I usually hand them down to my girls.

Reactions: Sparkletastic

PRICING

PHOTOS

LISTINGS

Brilliant, well thought out comment! Thank you so much. I feel like I have done everything you have said for the 2 Louis Vuitton. One bag is worth $2650 and I'm selling $1800, new with tags, receipt, box and dust bag. It was a mistake purchase that I couldn't return because I had used my LV credit. I compare the market on ebay and those bags are selling for at least $2200 used so I thought I had a good quick sale. The other LV has everything too but it does have a hair line scratch at base so I did $2500 best offer when it is worth $3400 which I felt was appropriate but maybe not.

Maybe I have put off buyers asking them to authenticate prior to purchase :huh:

Reactions: Sparkletastic

What about where the price is already at what others of the same condition are selling for and best offer is available? Why should I lower it when they are free to set their own price?
Personally I'd rather keep my bags than give them away for less than they're worth. Not worth to me, worth in comparison to what others are selling for.
Mine are all either as new or near new and I describe them properly. It would be unusual to think a used bag is going to have absolutely no signs of wear at all.
It's partly why I don't buy second hand. If I want new, I buy new from a store and pay the price for that.
I'm happy to leave mine listed as they are for as long as it takes because I always find the right buyer will come along. If not, they stay with me. I'm not that desperate to get rid of them just trying to cut down due to space.

What about where the price is already at what others of the same condition are selling for and best offer is available? Why should I lower it when they are free to set their own price?
Personally I'd rather keep my bags than give them away for less than they're worth. Not worth to me, worth in comparison to what others are selling for.
Mine are all either as new or near new and I describe them properly. It would be unusual to think a used bag is going to have absolutely no signs of wear at all.
It's partly why I don't buy second hand. If I want new, I buy new from a store and pay the price for that.
I'm happy to leave mine listed as they are for as long as it takes because I always find the right buyer will come along. If not, they stay with me. I'm not that desperate to get rid of them just trying to cut down due to space.
I understand your perspective but a few things to consider.

Are the other bags being listed at the price of yours or actually selling at the price of yours? Check "solds" to see. Sometimes everyone is listed above market. I always check at what price bags are sold to see what buyers are really doing. If other bags in the same condition with the same add ons (dust bag, etc) actually ARE selling at your price and yours is not, recheck the listing. Make sure the pictures and description are optimized and accurate. I once had a bag not sell because I accidentally put in the wrong color in the description that I copied and pasted from the manufacturer website. :facepalm: If you've done all the above, just wait as you said you plan to do. :tup:There may be more product than buyers and it may take some time.

And one reason not to use best offer is as I mentioned - many people don't like to "haggle". You may be a pleasant and fun seller. But many sellers can be rude and don't really know how to negotiate. So even though I negotiate regularly in my career sometimes I just don't want to be bothered with making offers to potentially uncommunicative or even rude sellers. You'd be surprised how many sellers act like they are doing you a favor to respond. I even had one seller call me an idiot because I politely messaged to ask if the bag came with dust bag, card, etc. When I see a listing, I don't know who is on the other side of that handbag and sometimes I don't want hassle. I just want to buy a bag. So veteran buyers who have been "burned" by cuckoo sellers will run from listings with best offers, incomplete listings, blurry photos, etc.

Also, it's not that rare to get a "used" bag with no signs of wear. I've bought several bags preowned but not used because some people get buyers remorse before wearing. These bags still had the little plastic protecting the metal, tags attached, etc. So I hunt pre owned new because I think it's the smarter choice than new in store. I get the same bag without all the mark up. :smile: (Now to me, the best option is new on sale but some brands like LV don't go on sale at all and other brands have individual items that don't go on sale.) So, yes buyers can and do have really crazy high expectations for preowned bags because we can. With patience the right bag will come along. For those of us who aren't selling new / like new we have to remember that better options across multiple sites and platforms are out there competing against us.

But bottom line, I don't think anyone should part with their bag for less than market value +/- 5% or so unless they are in financial hardship or simply just sick of looking at the bag. I have a bag I would sell but I don't like market price. So I'm keeping it. :-s But for those who do want to move a bag expeditiously, there are certain tips that can help make that happen.

Happy selling!

I always use completed listings to get an idea not active ones.
And I was referring to second hand used bags not bags that are unused. It would be unusual to expect a bag listed as second hand and used but in good condition not to show any signs of wear.
I'm happy to have people skip my listing because they don't want to offer a price even though my bag is fairly listed to begin with.
I'm not prepared to give my bags away I'd rather keep them. So if they don't want to buy for my fair price or offer a little less then they can shop elsewhere.

Never come across a rude seller myself when offering a best offer. Usually I put in an amount for something and they accept, decline or counter offer there is no exchange of words for them to be rude in. So I've not experienced that but that's ok too if they don't want to make an offer because they assume I'd be rude, I don't want to deal with them.

It is interesting to read another side of it though. Seems buyers can be quite unreasonable too. I have been known to block people that may have purchased because of the line of questioning. If someone is trouble before the transaction I'm not willing to risk it with the way paypal is. Don't get me wrong either, I do see what you're saying but I am someone who is selling unused bags just because I need room but I am not willing to sell at any cost. Price has to suit me too, not just the buyer. And I figure if they want it enough they will work with me to buy it the right buyer does usually always come along. Just not sure why people bother to watch something they're not really interested in unless they get it free. But that's me.

Last edited:
I always use completed listings to get an idea not active ones.
And I was referring to second hand used bags not bags that are unused. It would be unusual to expect a bag listed as second hand and used but in good condition not to show any signs of wear.
I'm happy to have people skip my listing because they don't want to offer a price even though my bag is fairly listed to begin with.
I'm not prepared to give my bags away I'd rather keep them. So if they don't want to buy for my fair price or offer a little less then they can shop elsewhere.

Never come across a rude seller myself when offering a best offer. Usually I put in an amount for something and they accept, decline or counter offer there is no exchange of words for them to be rude in. So I've not experienced that but that's ok too if they don't want to make an offer because they assume I'd be rude, I don't want to deal with them.

It is interesting to read another side of it though. Seems buyers can be quite unreasonable too. I have been known to block people that may have purchased because of the line of questioning. If someone is trouble before the transaction I'm not willing to risk it with the way paypal is. Don't get me wrong either, I do see what you're saying but I am someone who is selling unused bags just because I need room but I am not willing to sell at any cost. Price has to suit me too, not just the buyer. And I figure if they want it enough they will work with me to buy it the right buyer does usually always come along. Just not sure why people bother to watch something they're not really interested in unless they get it free. But that's me.
Some of the watchers will be other sellers keeping an eye on the competition

Reactions: papertiger
My bags for sale/sold on the Bay are not really comparable to yours as they'e mostly just superfluous in my collection, as I buy better stuff I need to make some room. Mostly vintage, amazing quality (and hard to part with) often exotic but unknown or non-designer names. Even at the cheaper end, high quality bags hang around, people are spoiled for choice. Lowering prices doesn't always guarantee a sale, if it's reasonable and the bag is nice I believe the bag will attract the right buyer. For all the work we put into selling we should have to 'give it away'. Eventually they do sell, so be tenacious and don't give up.

My bags for sale/sold on the Bay are not really comparable to yours as they'e mostly just superfluous in my collection, as I buy better stuff I need to make some room. Mostly vintage, amazing quality (and hard to part with) often exotic but unknown or non-designer names. Even at the cheaper end, high quality bags hang around, people are spoiled for choice. Lowering prices doesn't always guarantee a sale, if it's reasonable and the bag is nice I believe the bag will attract the right buyer. For all the work we put into selling we should have to 'give it away'. Eventually they do sell, so be tenacious and don't give up.

I would love to see your bag collection.:love:

Reactions: papertiger