CS/GM poor quality

This is when my craziness of taking digital photos helps!

I believe the first season of the original decline was the season that they did a CSGM of Belles du Mexique.

My photo of it was taken January 2009 - so, approximately A/W 2008 or S/S 2009. I am trying to recall whether I had the same problem with the Tohu Bohu reissue, which was A/W 2008. I had a friend who bought that one too, in the pink cw and IIRC it did not wear well.
Hermeshermione started this thread in Jan 2011 about a well loved csgm, purchased in 2010, an ex libris csgm from 2008AW
Your dates of late 2008 or early 2009 make complete sense for the first bad ones, it usually takes a year or two for scarves to get worn and for feedback to start coming in

Hermeshermione started this thread in Jan 2011 about a well loved csgm, purchased in 2010, an ex libris csgm from 2008AW
Your dates of late 2008 or early 2009 make complete sense for the first bad ones, it usually takes a year or two for scarves to get worn and for feedback to start coming in

Yes, we commiserated when this originally happened to a bunch of us back then! ;)

Yes, we commiserated when this originally happened to a bunch of us back then! ;)
Well, I remember NOT commiserating with you LOL - I am allergic to CS, have bought exactly one CS (by mistake). But, I do remember the sturm and drang of 2009.
The various Hermes fabrics fascinate me - more so the old crepes des soie, vintage silk, and different weight twills but the CS topic was ENORMOUS at the time.
I also remember being at Bergdorf's - where the lighting is better than at Mad Ave and seeing CSGMs. They were at an angle where you could see pilling (sp?) in the ones for sale. You did not even have to touch them to see the pilling. I hate asking an SA to pull out one that I have no intention of buying, I try not to waste their time.
And those were BN from Hermes, still for sale. For some reason, I will always remember that trip to Bergdorfs LOL

Well, I remember NOT commiserating with you LOL - I am allergic to CS, have bought exactly one CS (by mistake). But, I do remember the sturm and drang of 2009.
The various Hermes fabrics fascinate me - more so the old crepes des soie, vintage silk, and different weight twills but the CS topic was ENORMOUS at the time.
I also remember being at Bergdorf's - where the lighting is better than at Mad Ave and seeing CSGMs. They were at an angle where you could see pilling (sp?) in the ones for sale. You did not even have to touch them to see the pilling. I hate asking an SA to pull out one that I have no intention of buying, I try not to waste their time.
And those were BN from Hermes, still for sale. For some reason, I will always remember that trip to Bergdorfs LOL
Crepe des soies? How interesting! Sounds wonderful. Was this a very early fabric used?:flowers:

Reread my horrid/awkward words, wish I was more eloquent, I remember feeling for everyone about the CSGMs ca 2010, but not taking part directly in the discussion since I dont personally do CS, I am way too busy with all the other fabrics LOL

Reactions: Notorious Pink

Hi, sweetie - I was going to say I know you were “there” back then, but I have no memory of who participated. :hugs:

I like the CSGMs but I don’t like to have more than a few - enough to go with whatever I’m wearing to dinner. I am still not sure they are “worth” the price, but honestly I don’t see any actual competition as far as their designs go, and they are useful for tying an outfit together (especially for someone like me who may wear a bunch of colors at once).

I know exactly what you are talking about at BG, and I recall noticing the exact same thing, it was awful! It’s definitely better than that now (it seems to me that certain shawls are just less prone to pilling and pulling), but I don’t know if it will ever be as good as the oldies. I had one or two from when DS1 was little that were used as blankets, for travel, everywhere, and showed zero signs of use. BUT!!!! The designs and colors weren’t really there back then.

I had one of the crepe Madison Ave scarves, it was lovely. Of course, I never wore it, too pale for me, but the silk was realllllly niiiiiice on that! :love:

Reactions: marietouchet
Hi, sweetie - I was going to say I know you were “there” back then, but I have no memory of who participated. :hugs:

I like the CSGMs but I don’t like to have more than a few - enough to go with whatever I’m wearing to dinner. I am still not sure they are “worth” the price, but honestly I don’t see any actual competition as far as their designs go, and they are useful for tying an outfit together (especially for someone like me who may wear a bunch of colors at once).

I know exactly what you are talking about at BG, and I recall noticing the exact same thing, it was awful! It’s definitely better than that now (it seems to me that certain shawls are just less prone to pilling and pulling), but I don’t know if it will ever be as good as the oldies. I had one or two from when DS1 was little that were used as blankets, for travel, everywhere, and showed zero signs of use. BUT!!!! The designs and colors weren’t really there back then.

I had one of the crepe Madison Ave scarves, it was lovely. Of course, I never wore it, too pale for me, but the silk was realllllly niiiiiice on that! :love:
Hiya !
Yeah, the old CSGM designs were very different say 15-20 years ago. Totally different energy level.
Lots of repetitive little motifs like Chasse en Inde, not the big macroscopic designs of today. I always thought the CSGM business came from the idea of the old British cashmere shawl, in the canonical paisley pattern - think Queen Victoria sitting by the fire at Balmoral enveloped in cashmere from Kashmir. Granny style.

Hi all,

I just purchased 2 described at new from an internet seller. The colors are glorious & one is a
muffler & the other is a stole shape.
When I received them they just appear to me as showing wear easily (like piling)
I have other cashmere shawls mostly patterns that are delicate but don't show signs of wear easily
I also have cashmere sweaters that are delicate.
Any thoughts as to how they wear over the long haul with careful care?
Thanks

Hi all,

I just purchased 2 described at new from an internet seller. The colors are glorious & one is a
muffler & the other is a stole shape.
When I received them they just appear to me as showing wear easily (like piling)
I have other cashmere shawls mostly patterns that are delicate but don't show signs of wear easily
I also have cashmere sweaters that are delicate.
Any thoughts as to how they wear over the long haul with careful care?
Thanks
The CSGMs are rather delicate in my opinion.
One of my CSGMs shows pilling much more than the others. It is also slightly thinner.
The pilling one now just looks disgusting and gives a neglected vibe to my whole person, and I wonder whether it might be because I got it at the H sales... (or is it a coincidence and the solid design might just show more ?)
Anyway I began taking the pills off one boring day and it's just too much surface.
H seems to be able to repair the most damages, but personally I haven't washed them yet (I'll wait until they show signs, and try shampoo and cold water)
Brought 2 CSGMs last month to FSH who announced a cost of 80 € to take the pills off the pilled one and repair pulled threads, I'm waiting for the result.
FSH also told me pulled threads and broken threads at the rolls are repaired free of charge. I was surprised and hope it's going to be true when I'll pick them up.
IMG_20220527_102644.jpg

Last edited:
I got my Rocabar CSGM (shown above) back 3 weeks ago.
First, I was invited to pick it up 5 weeks ago.
The SA was pretty embarrassed: we checked together the pictures he took on his phone and the atelier had only re-rolled the edges, which I didn't ask for. The pulled and broken threads were there, the pills as well.
2 weeks later, a pulled thread was back in its place and half the pills had been removed.
Such a waste of time, at least they didn't charge anything.
The second CSGM, with a broken thread, couldn't have anything done.
Guess what? I'm not really satisfied...

• Wow
Reactions: HoneyLocks