Cruiser Luggage 45/50/55 Owners - Is it a functional carry on bag?

Monogramboy

*~Chad~*
O.G.
Sep 28, 2006
Hi all,

I did a search of the forum and see that several members own the Cruiser Luggage bag in various sizes, but didn't come across any discussions of its practicality as a carry on bag. I am not a fan of keepalls and am searching for an alternate carry on piece without having to splurge on a horizon rolling bag. I am most interested in the 55 size, but this seems rare to come by in the pre-loved market, so I will likely have to settle on a 50. I know any of the sizes of this bag meet the requirements for cabin sized carry on but I am more so interested in how it is to lug around the airport without a strap? Not sure this would be something I would do but also curious if anyone has ever attached a strap to theirs?

Any and all info would be much appreciated, thank you!

crusier.jpeg
^photo for reference for anyone unfamiliar with this bag as it is a vintage piece

I don't personally own a Cruiser bag, but I have tried one in store back in the day, and never pulled the trigger on it for a few reasons. Firstly, despite the boxy shape, and interesting closing 'procedure', I found it to be cumbersome, and I could only imagine if I was travelling and trying to get an item out of the Cruiser in a hurry, it would drive me insane. Also the base of the bag is structured, meaning it cannot lay flush with your body, or have the ability to be flexible if it is brushed against something - meaning that over time I can only imagine the corner wear the bag will get. Finally, it has no shoulder strap, and the overall design of the bag means it is strictly hand carry only, and that attaching a strap might mean the structural integrity of the bag would be heavily compromised. Mind you if you are intending to use this as a travel bag, and assuming you don't have any rolling luggage to lay this over the top, its going to get heavy, and yeah - it looks great aesthetically, but in the modern age of travel (I am assuming by air, and not on road) that it would be majorly inconvenient and cumbersome. Anyways, that's why I turned down the offer to purchase one back in the day, and opted for a Keepall. I think in general, the reason why everyone has a Keepall is because it is relatively practical and easy to use. Hope this helps!

I found it to be cumbersome, and I could only imagine if I was travelling and trying to get an item out of the Cruiser in a hurry, it would drive me insane. Also the base of the bag is structured, meaning it cannot lay flush with your body, or have the ability to be flexible if it is brushed against something - meaning that over time I can only imagine the corner wear the bag will get.
Thank you for the information, this is what I feared. I may have to get over my keepall aversion or splurge on a horizon