Cracks on My brand new Kelly ?!

Hopefully this issue with your Kelly isn't really an issue at all and completely natural due to the nature of the bag. As for that YouTube video I saw parts of it. That person tends to be really picky so I would not rely on that one video. Also I personally don't think it was a good idea for her to go on YouTube and publicly discuss her issue especially given that it may not be a defect after all. Couldn't there be potential legal consequences?

Ok so I normally don't comment on TPF but I hope you didn't return the bag. Mrs Owens was absolutely correct, it is caused by tension against grain of leather from tight stitching which is normal and common. You can ask bababebi whom is an expert on these bags and have seen lots of them. You can also take the bag to a hermes store with repair dept and the craftsman will tell you the same. Bababebi is the most trustworthy and knowledgeable hermes authenticator there is out there and has more experience with bags than some hermes SAs. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
After reading this, I pulled out a few recent Togo bags to compare. None of them have this sort of cracked graining above the stitches - anywhere. In fact, they are quite smooth above the stitching towards the resin. On my blue nuit togo B from early last year, this part is so smooth, it’s almost as if it has been pressed flat along the edges and on either side of the sangles. Though the others are not as "clean" in this way, the color over the leather between the stitching and the resin is still smooth, no cracks.

In the OP's side angle picture, the top edge of the bag is as it should be. The front edge of the bag and the sangles do not look the same.

I would take it back, if for nothing else to be on record the issue started right away, should it worsen.

With my Birkin it had been worse: the Resin seemed to not be applied correctly and the leather started to peel off at the side of the straps and the panels.
Anyway: I took it back to the store and showed it to the craftsman, who confirmed the bag needed to get some retouch. They therefore send the bag to Paris and offered my a preplacement which I declined because neither Epsom in RJ nor Togo in Malachite sing to me.
That's how I learned that you really can fall in love with a specific colour and leather and I decided to wait for the perfect combination.

This does not look right to me. I looked at a few of my Togo bags and saw nothing like this. I looked at straps on Togo and other grained leathers. My bags are all at least 12 years old. I am wondering if it is issue with newer Togo. Does it feel rough? And how does it look if you bend the leather...do the "cracks" seem to open more if leather is bent.

I think this is a problem with some of the newer bags. I have a gold kelly and my moms friend just got a gold kelly 32 in togo with the A stamp and it had the exact same problem with your bag. In real life the grains are kind of frayed right? They are drfinitely not leather grains. I could compare to my older kelly exact same model and saw the difference

Reactions: periogirl28
Hi Ladies, I came across this thread, and then took a look at a bag I am interested in purchasing preloved. Now I am feeling a bit worried as I think this has the same thing. I thought I would share photos. It is Gold , togo.
Do you think this is going to be problematic if I buy it? I also want to show photos to czk317 for reference to her bag.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 1.46.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 1.46.04 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 903
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 1.46.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 1.46.18 PM.png
    423.7 KB · Views: 879
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 1.46.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 1.46.26 PM.png
    336.3 KB · Views: 908
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 1.46.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 1.46.36 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 889
Hi Ladies, I came across this thread, and then took a look at a bag I am interested in purchasing preloved. Now I am feeling a bit worried as I think this has the same thing. I thought I would share photos. It is Gold , togo.
Do you think this is going to be problematic if I buy it? I also want to show photos to czk317 for reference to her bag.

This does look completely normal to me. No peeling of, just the grains of the leather.

This looks completely normal to me as well. I just looked at my gold Togo bag and it's fine.

I'm not sure this is an issue (if it is one) that shows in photos. From looking at all my Togo bags, the ones where the stitching is really, really close to the resin do not have this look. On bags where there is space between stitching and resin, the natural grain of the leather continues for a few mm and then is sealed off by resin. This applies both to sangles and edge of bag. Some of the pictures shown show a lot of vertical grain lines between stitching and resin, which could be interpreted as cracks or could, possibly, BE cracks, but it would be hard to know by a photo.
What I can say is that it IS normal to show grain above the stitch line.

Reactions: Coconuts40