Considering a Digital Perm...Opinions?

Hi!!

I'm just wondering how would you rate this for ease of maintenance?? I'm thinking of getting it done before school starts but I don't want to have a hairstyle that will take too long to style everyday.

Can I just go from a bath straight to school? Do you blow dry it? Is it necessary to put creams in?

I have an appointment next Sunday so any help would be much appreciated! I might just go for a haircut instead.

it actually depends on what type of look you want. if you want a highly stylized hair such as in the japanese fashion magazines, do NOT expect to do no styling. in fact, this is a common misconception. to get the look in the japanese magazine requires styling/styling products.

if you just want some waves / natural look , then yes, you can just air dry with minimal hair products.

Wow, the results are fantastic! I'm definitely going to consider getting a digital perm during christmas break! My hair is not sleek and straight and not beach wavy..but in a weird dull in-between stage :/ so I think a digital perm would be the right move to perk up my look :smile:

Would you ladies mind telling about how much the average price for one is? Especially in the Los Angeles area?

this is super late but i'm in agreement with the poster above. if you want really glossy pretty curls (like the korean actress nam gyu ri's curls), you'll have to work it a lot (curling irons to retouch, lots of products, etc). if you just want a natural wave, all i ever need to use is fekkai's beach hair spray from their summer hair line, scrunch, and air dry. some glossing serum over that works nicely. all of the pictures i've posted have been using minimal hair product.

ohh!! almost forgot. another update is due!

n3418541_38862399_608.jpg

a more recent picture of me. i believe it's been almost 2 months since i've gotten the digi perm. still loving it. styling has never been so easy! =]

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I had a question about the perm. Is it Ok to pull it back a lot (in a ponytail), because I run everyday and wouldn't want to get one if pulling it back is going to ruin it. By the way, it looks fantastic on you!

another tpfer linked me to your thread because I wanted those luscious looking curls in japanese/korean magazines.. what kind of products would you recommend to achieve it? I am hoping to go in next week to get the digi perm done, and I am so excited! I was hoping I didn't have to invest more money in a curler.. is it possible to curl it with just your fingers??

I have digital perm done to my hair for the past 3 years in 3 different salons. the results were very different. The times I got it done in more expensive salons, the results were better, the cheaper ones though they uses the same machine, not sure if it is the solution or the person, the curls are not as bouncy. You do have to blow dry to get the best results. In the first few months, the curls are still there without blow drying. After 3-4 months, the curls are more relaxed and will require blowdry if you want better results.

i've been so mia in the last couple of months i haven't been checking tpf. apologies!

I know this is an old thread, but I had a question about the perm. Is it Ok to pull it back a lot (in a ponytail), because I run everyday and wouldn't want to get one if pulling it back is going to ruin it. By the way, it looks fantastic on you!

i wouldn't reccomend pulling it back soon after getting the perm (obviously you can't for the first couple of days) but other than that, i see no problem with it. i pull it back when i'm in class and i haven't seen any many changes with it.

another tpfer linked me to your thread because I wanted those luscious looking curls in japanese/korean magazines.. what kind of products would you recommend to achieve it? I am hoping to go in next week to get the digi perm done, and I am so excited! I was hoping I didn't have to invest more money in a curler.. is it possible to curl it with just your fingers??

yes. you can DEFINITELY curl with your fingers although bigger, bouncier curls will require a curler. this is for more relaxed, subtle waves. i use a small helping of frederic fekkai's luscious curl cream and air dry for everyday use. when using a curler, i mix the curl cream with glossing cream and let my hair air dry and then i curl with a flat iron. here are some pictures for reference:

ONLY air drying (most recent picture of my hair....6 months after the digi perm):
photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1656/16/91/3418541/n3418541_40309033_2445.jpg

with a curler:
photos-h.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v342/16/91/3418541/n3418541_39680575_7709.jpg
it's about time for me to get my perm retouched as it's now growing out quite a bit (see above picture). i've been getting a lot of compliments on it so i'm definitely redoing it. =]

the photo restrictions wouldn't let me post the pictures so i went and got a photobucket account. so let's try this again:

air drying (6 months after digiperm):
lesleyprofile_ryansroom.jpg

with a curler:
n3418541_40484991_1708.jpg

i just redid my digital perm and noticed that the perm gets significantly looser at the end as my curls are not much tighter than they were prior to getting the perm redone. not a bad thing though. i had kinda sexy loose waves. i'm waiting for my curls to loosen up again. =]

That last picture looks fantastic - what size curler did you use?

i just use a 1.5 inch flat iron at the highest temperature setting and curl. the curls stay like that all day and all night without putting any kind of product in it to "fix" it (hair spray, gel, etc.). i'm no good with a curling iron.

alternatively, you can use ceramic rollers.

I found a place here in Houston that does it! It's $150; I'm so excited to get it done I'm just waiting for my hair to grow a lil longer :smile:

yay i'm so excited for you!! feel free to post your before and after pics here too!!

Ok, I tried curling my hair with the flat iron that I have (it's only a 1 inch) and they were really tight... but you're convincing me to get a digital perm!

yea that extra .5 inch makes all the difference, unfortunately. you can try a lower temperature setting for looser curls (unless your hair is very resilient to curling like mine is).

You mentioned that you just got your digital perm redone. Did they hook you up to a machine? You mentioned that for your first perm, you think they may have done a ceramic perm. I was told that it was only considered a digital perm if they hook you up to the machine. I wish there were a way to get a perm that looked like your second picture.

the photo restrictions wouldn't let me post the pictures so i went and got a photobucket account. so let's try this again:

air drying (6 months after digiperm):
lesleyprofile_ryansroom.jpg

with a curler:
n3418541_40484991_1708.jpg

i just redid my digital perm and noticed that the perm gets significantly looser at the end as my curls are not much tighter than they were prior to getting the perm redone. not a bad thing though. i had kinda sexy loose waves. i'm waiting for my curls to loosen up again. =]