Considering a Digital Perm...Opinions?

You mentioned that you just got your digital perm redone. Did they hook you up to a machine? You mentioned that for your first perm, you think they may have done a ceramic perm. I was told that it was only considered a digital perm if they hook you up to the machine. I wish there were a way to get a perm that looked like your second picture.

i was hooked up to a machine for the second one but the results look about the same as my first perm. also, the pictures above were before i redid the perm (in case that wasn't clear). i wish i could get the big bouncy curls everyday too, but to be honest, i find that my hair looks better curled now that i have a digital perm; now when i miss some strands, they aren't oddly stick straight since all of my hair is wavy now. =]

Hi, Thanks for the info!! I am interested in getting a digital perm as well. I too, am from Southern California....do you mind if I ask what salon you visted?

Thanks!

Sure! It's called Hill's Beauty Club and it's on Western near Beverly. Just try not to go on a Saturday or Sunday because the place gets absolutely CRAZY on weekends! Hope this helps; let me know how it goes!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hills-beauty-club-los-angeles-2

hello!
since i spent time reading this thread before i decided to get my digital perm, i thought i should contribute, since it was all your lovely pictures that helped make my mind up in the first place.
so here is my "before" picture:
CIMG1967.JPG

the next one is a few hours after it was done:
CIMG1979.JPG

and these last ones were my first attempt at styling it on my own:
CIMG1983.JPG
CIMG1987.JPG

i'm still getting the hang of it since i'm not used to having any curl at all in my hair...its a totally new experience.

as a side note: my stylist told me to shower in cool water. have any of you heard that? its kind of a bummer to me because i love my hot hot showers, but i guess its the price i pay. :P

gwenjune your hair looks gorgeous! You must be so happy with it. I just got my hair digital permed too 3 weeks ago and I love it. It's so much easier to style my hair now!

Lately I have been thinking of growing out my hair and getting a perm. I'm also Asian, and I have straight hair as well. I really want a perm because once my hair grows out long it gets NO volume.

I'm sort of afraid to get it though because I'm afraid it'll be too curly. I want like a body wave with curls sort of like Blair from Gossip Girl but just a tad bit looser than hers. Hmm...I dunno if I should take the plunge?

hello!
since i spent time reading this thread before i decided to get my digital perm, i thought i should contribute, since it was all your lovely pictures that helped make my mind up in the first place.
so here is my "before" picture:
CIMG1967.JPG

the next one is a few hours after it was done:
CIMG1979.JPG

and these last ones were my first attempt at styling it on my own:
CIMG1983.JPG
CIMG1987.JPG

i'm still getting the hang of it since i'm not used to having any curl at all in my hair...its a totally new experience.

as a side note: my stylist told me to shower in cool water. have any of you heard that? its kind of a bummer to me because i love my hot hot showers, but i guess its the price i pay. :P
Since you just got your hair perm, how do you style your hair? like to use use curler or you just put product in there and it curl by itself with no frizz?

miffy- congrats on your digital perm! since you are a relative newbie as well, any styling advice you've discovered? i found that twirling my hair and then blowdrying the twirls gently produces the best curl...but i know that others have said not to blowdry...my salon said it was ok tho

xlana-do it! you will love it! even when i don't put much effort into it, my hair still has a nice wave that makes styling much easier.

yenanh00-i'm still figuring out how best to style it. i only wash my hair every other day, so on the days i wash it, i put fekkai beach waves spray on it, twirl and blow dry and it looks pretty much like what is in my pictures. on the days i don't wash it, i brush it out in the morning, re twirl it (this revives most of the curls, they are just a little less curly than the day before) and then i use a curling iron to fix the spots that need it. if i don't do anything to it straight out of the shower, it is less curl, more wave, so it can do whatever you want it to really!

gwenjune - my stylist also did the twirl blow dry for me and it came out great. I don't usually have the patience to blow dry my hair, so what i usually do is leave my hair in twirls after shower and let it air dry and that seems to keep the waves in. I use the Fekkai beach waves too thanks to the recommendation of the OP. :smile: And on days I want more curls I use a curling iron and because of the waves that are already in my hair it only takes a few minutes to style.

gwenjune - my stylist also did the twirl blow dry for me and it came out great. I don't usually have the patience to blow dry my hair, so what i usually do is leave my hair in twirls after shower and let it air dry and that seems to keep the waves in. I use the Fekkai beach waves too thanks to the recommendation of the OP. :smile: And on days I want more curls I use a curling iron and because of the waves that are already in my hair it only takes a few minutes to style.

that's pretty much what i do too. i'm glad the beach waves recommendation was useful!

i use the beach waves and air dry when i just want tousled, casual curls for everyday use at school and whatnot. when i go out, i run a tiny dollop of fekkai glossing cream and/or biosilk and iron in some bouncy curls (you can check the previous page to see the stylistic differences). as a general rule i've been trying to avoid blowdrying my hair; my hair's been damaged enough already.

hahaha i forgot i can quote myself. now you can see the difference between airdrying and using an iron to curl. =]

the photo restrictions wouldn't let me post the pictures so i went and got a photobucket account. so let's try this again:

air drying (6 months after digiperm):
lesleyprofile_ryansroom.jpg

with a curler:
n3418541_40484991_1708.jpg

i just redid my digital perm and noticed that the perm gets significantly looser at the end as my curls are not much tighter than they were prior to getting the perm redone. not a bad thing though. i had kinda sexy loose waves. i'm waiting for my curls to loosen up again. =]