Command for a dog to not jump up on you?

First, one has to know why a dog is jumping up. Many people inadvertantly teach their dogs to jump up by patting their chests when sitting, encouraging the pup. It starts when they are cute puppies.

I learned to train dogs from an old German guy who trained dogs for the police. The word he used was "OUSE!" in a very gutteral tone. At the same time, turn the body lightly to one side and lift the leg closest to the dog to push him away. Tell him "SIT" and when he does, then praise quietlly.

The hardest part I had training our terrier is my DH wasn't consistant with what I'd taught her. He not only allowed her to jump up, he encouraged it. Now she's 13, and a spoiled brat. If she doesn't want to do anything, she won't.

My dog on the other hand, is perfect.

...OK, not sure whether to start a new thread or just update y'all on how this is going...

So far, not so good, but a little better. I went to BF's house on Friday after work so we could BBQ some steaks and just chill after a tough workweek. Plus, he was getting ready to leave on a business trip to the east coast early Sunday.

I had not been up to his house since before Christmas (!)...he's always picked me up at my place and we'll go out from there or have an evening in at my house. So, I have not had a chance to practice any of these techniques since first posting!

I picked out a nice bottle of wine and drove up to his house (it's about a 1/2 hour from mine but is a fairly rural area so it really 'feels' a lot farther out than it is). So peaceful.

I still have a tension headache from work and I'm ready to just chill, have a glass of wine and enjoy some good conversation with BF. The dog (18 month old black Lab) is all hyper and jumpy. I know she is happy and wants to play (and she's really still just a puppy at 18 mos?) but I CANNOT STAND DOGS JUMPING UP ON ME. My apologies once again to all tPF dog lovers out there...I didn't grow up with dogs, am not comfortable around dogs but I am willing to learn and am trying. So every time she tried to jump up on me I just yelled OFF!! And BF did his best to keep her in control while trying to get dinner going. I really let her have it...yell yell yell.
blink.gif

Well then, I am sure the dog was pissed at me b/c a few minutes later we found her chewing up one of my nice leather gloves!! That dog had pulled one of my gloves off the barstool and tore it to shreds. BF was livid and into the kennel she went. He was extremely apologetic and said he would get me a new pair of gloves and I thanked him for that. I'm just glad it wasn't my handbag (zucca b. Fendi, hehehe) or leather jacket...I told BF I KNOW she did that b/c she was pissed off at me or jealous perhaps...and yes, I know Labs love to chew so it's not surprising but STILL I'm effin' pissed!!

After dinner we relax on the couch with the TV and another glass of wine and just chit chatting about stuff. Dog comes out of her timeout in the kennel. Dog kept wanting to join in too and jump on the couch. I couldn't relax. This is just not fun when you're trying to snuggle, have a glass of wine (on a light colored couch). When she is being mellow and lying down or just hanging out she is a very sweet dog. I just am in no mood that night for hyper dog.

We slept well...kennel is in his master suite and even darn dog was well behaved and quiet all night too...then in the a.m. he went down to make coffee for us and let the dog out to go outside, etc. Well, when I was ready to get up and get dressed, dog brought me my underwear! Ew. OK at least she didn't tear it to shreds and I know she's a retriever and it's just DNA but obviously I was not going to put it on now. I went Commando all morning, LOL.

Honestly, I really and truly want to learn how to handle the dog. She has been through a round of obedience school, but honestly she needs more :yes:. And when the weather gets nicer and a little lighter in the evenings I want to take her on walks with BF around the neighborhood (difficult right now with dark rainy weather and no streetlights where he lives).

Or...perhaps I should just tell BF I don't want the dog around at all when I'm at the house...meaning she goes outside, in the kennel or in another room. :confused1:

Aww, honey, I feel you on this. As much as I love my dogs (and I absolutely would die for them) I cannot handle a dog eating my stuff or bringing me my undies either unless I'd taught them to do so. And mines a retriever/draft breed as well.

Sounds like to me he's not being consistant with his dog. The dog needs a bed to lay on while not crated, that way she/he also has a "good dog" spot to lay so he/she can be with you guys without having to be right with you, you know?

Another thing I wanted to mention is, at 18 months, the dog is still a puppy. A BIG puppy. He will settle down as he gets older. And if he's been nuetured or she's been spayed will help too. If your BF hasn't had that done, I'd talk to him about it. Spaying or nuetering a dog, especially a large breed, goes a long way in training them to be prefect house dogs.

And from now on, put your stuff on the cieling with tacks. ;)

Or...perhaps I should just tell BF I don't want the dog around at all when I'm at the house...meaning she goes outside, in the kennel or in another room. :confused1:

Honestly, if I had told this to DF, I think he would have chosen the dog over me... I STILL feel like I play second fiddle to the dog sometimes. Luckily, that isn't too often.

What I did learn was that after I started spending the night regularly, and then definitely after I moved in, the dog was much more relaxed around me. He doesn't jump all the time, and he's pretty mellow, especially when DF is out of town and it's just me and the dogs.

I think that single men just aren't good with training. They can teach a dog to sit or shake or whatever, but they're just not that consistent. I have started sending both dogs (his Golden and my Schnauzer) to their kennels while we're eating. Most nights I don't even have to tell them anymore - when we set the table and start to sit down, they go to their kennels (which is a miracle because my dog hasn't had a kennel for probably 5 years!) I can't take begging and drooling at the table. When we're in the kitchen, the dogs aren't allowed in there - there's no room and I hate to have dog hair in the food. They also aren't allowed in our office because there's not room for us and them, and they're just in the way. I tell them to GO, they look at dad, he tells them to GO and they go. It has to be a team effort - if BF doesn't back you up, it won't work.

The one thing I still can't break him of is pretty bad (and extremely annoying). DF taught him to have a taste for beer, wine and Starbucks. So I can't drink a glass of wine on the couch without a big nose trying to get in my glass. It's really frustrating, and soooo not good for the dog (I'm sure!), but I just haven't been able to break him yet. It's also embarassing when we're entertaining.

I guess I'd say talk to your BF openly and honestly. Don't make it a me or the dog thing, just tell him that you'd like to work with him to get her better trained. I wonder if the dog being female has anything to do with her attitude toward you. DF's dog (male) warmed up to me VERY quickly, and I am pretty sure I'm his favorite parent. In fact, right after I moved in, we bought those faux fur beds for them. DF's dog pulled his around to my side of the bed, and sleeps there every night.

If u remember from way back.....I got another SHiba Inu,Ripley,who literally spent the last year TERRORIZING MY HOUSE!LOL!.NOT KIDDING HE ATE walls,carpeting,WOOD floors,Prada boots,Tods heels.......
I have to say once he hit age 2,HE CHILLED.He is such a good dog now(We no longer call him Satan...LMAO!)
I had a party last weekend and everyone there commented on how great a dog he was.NO jumping..no grabbing food off tables.....
I think NO matter how much training u do some breeds just need to mature out of the puppy age before they r truly GOOD dogs.I did not ONE BUT TWO extensive training courses with Ripley(AND yes,He was the BAD BOY of the class...It was upsetting to me too)
Ripley will not dare jump on me ever.He listens to hand commands for Sit,STAY,leave it and drop it.I actually did the PETSMART training 8 week courses..2 sets and it helped ME more than him.I learned alot about how to talk to a dog and how to train.
I also learned if u REALLY want to train a dog properly,do it while he is hungry and u have a bag of treats handy.Ripley will do ANYTHING FOR FOOD!I adore him now and I didnt earlier on.he cost me OVER 20,000 in damages,no joke.But he is now trained and a cuddlebug!I cant imagine life without him

Google Cesar Milan, the dog whisperer. All your (dog) problems will be solved.

i second this!! i didn't realize that i had been doing the same stuff he does to my dogs all along. it came naturally to me but after watching his stuff it really makes sense. also, dogs don't 'get mad' at people the way people get mad at each other. it's a little hard to explain but if you read his stuff it makes sense. good luck with the situation!