Cocker Spaniel owners

HubbaWubba

Mar 7, 2007
Tell me about them. I heard they are supposed to be sweethearts. How big do they get?

Long story short. A person in my apartment building is moving. They have a puppy about 9 months old. They can't keep the dog for whatever reason. I haven't contacted them yet but am very close to it. I would probably want to basically borrow him for a few hours to see how my other dog would react to it. I don't even know if it is a male or female at this point. From the picture they posted it looks adorable.

Howdy Hubba - first, I've got to rail against these owners. Can't keep a dog? I hate that throwaway attitude. A puppy/dog is a long term commitment. New place doesn't allow dogs? A load of crap. If you have a dog, you find a place that accepts them. It is best that the pup finds a new home.

Yes, Cockers are adorable, with very sweet dispositions. Happy and affectionate. Due to the horrific inbreeding they are a veterinarian's dream dog...CA-CHING! Before embarking into this breed, I would try to find out more about it's history and parentage. PRA and epilepsy run rampant. However, you can always foster the pup while looking for a cocker rescue to take it. I hope it works out. Here are some resources:
http://www.uexplore.com/health/healthproblems.htm
http://www.asc-cockerspaniel.org/

Well, like I said, they didn't give a reason why they couldn't keep it. In the flyer, they mentioned they have a full grown Golden Retriever so maybe they place they are going only allows one dog??? I live in NYC so I know what its like to find apts that allow animals. Anyway, I will look at those sites you posted and get a little history of the breed. Thanks.

I had a Cocker Spaniel growing up and she was absolutely sweet and caring.. never barked. Protective. Chill. When she got older she got cataracts and lost her sight in one eye :sad: She died at 13 i believe and was about 25-30 lbs, maybe?

Hope this helps! They are really wonderful dogs!

Well, like I said, they didn't give a reason why they couldn't keep it. In the flyer, they mentioned they have a full grown Golden Retriever so maybe they place they are going only allows one dog??? I live in NYC so I know what its like to find apts that allow animals. Anyway, I will look at those sites you posted and get a little history of the breed. Thanks.

Sorry - I was really crabby when I wrote that. Working in rescue really can be so depressing. I see very few legitimate reasons for giving up an animal. Between the problems of puppymills, pet stores, irresponsible breeders on one side and neglected or ignored dogs on the other it can be really frustrating.

Hope you can give this dog a home, or help find a good one for it. Cockers are sweet souls.

i have a cocker spaniel. he's a rescue dog, we've had him for 5 years nows, so he's at least 7 years old. i love him dearly. he's the most loyal dog i've ever had and quite. very calm and loves to play fetch. when we were in an apt. he was great as long as he had his daily walk. other than his annual check up i never have to take him to the vet, other than when he "sprained" his knee. you have to keep their ears clean, other wise they'll get infected and stinky. they need regular grooming, mine goes every 4 weeks for a bath and cut. they have been over bred, as jburgh mentioned, and some have behavior problems, but if you're going to "borrow" the dog for a few days that should give you plenty of time to find out if he's a good match for your family. if you're prepaired for all the up-keep go for it, mine's totally worth it.

I put a call into the people, so I will let you guys know what happens.

i have a cocker spaniel. he's a rescue dog, we've had him for 5 years nows, so he's at least 7 years old. i love him dearly. he's the most loyal dog i've ever had and quite. very calm and loves to play fetch. when we were in an apt. he was great as long as he had his daily walk. other than his annual check up i never have to take him to the vet, other than when he "sprained" his knee. you have to keep their ears clean, other wise they'll get infected and stinky. they need regular grooming, mine goes every 4 weeks for a bath and cut. they have been over bred, as jburgh mentioned, and some have behavior problems, but if you're going to "borrow" the dog for a few days that should give you plenty of time to find out if he's a good match for your family. if you're prepaired for all the up-keep go for it, mine's totally worth it.

Wow every 4 weeks for grooming? I am used to short haired dogs that don't shed at all. I just bathe them and clip their nails, brush their teeth and they are good to go. My friend has a schitzu (sp?) and it's hair grows so fast. I don't know if I am up for the task of always grooming a dog so often. I like how mine are pretty self sufficient.

Let us know what happens. I know you just lost a baby and this might be just the think for you, dear.

Yeah I know, but I don't want to rush into anything if it's not the right dog, kwim?

I put a call into the people, so I will let you guys know what happens.

Wow every 4 weeks for grooming? I am used to short haired dogs that don't shed at all. I just bathe them and clip their nails, brush their teeth and they are good to go. My friend has a schitzu (sp?) and it's hair grows so fast. I don't know if I am up for the task of always grooming a dog so often. I like how mine are pretty self sufficient.

Yeah I know, but I don't want to rush into anything if it's not the right dog, kwim?
he goes in every 4 weeks so that he always looks beautiful... i'm sure you could go longer between grooming sessions. he has the traditional cocker cut, like the ones in the dog shows, but you could give your cocker the puppy/field cut and he wouldn't need too much attention in the grooming dept. my cocker doesn't shed at all!!!:yes: however, my bostons shed like crazy... can't wait to hear the outcome!

Cocker spaniels are really cute, but almost all the ones I have met have been nasty, but so were their owners so, its probably how they were raised rather than the breed. Good Luck, with a great loving home i think most dogs are happy and great family members

I have one right now! He was adopted but he is so gorgeous. I have owned 2 while growing up both females and they were loyal and caring. Very good with children and with the sweetest disposition. They both died of breast cancer and we later found out that all the breeding did not help. Mine now is a male and he is going to be about 25 lbs., which is pretty normal for Cockers. Let us know how it goes.

My cocker spaniel is going to be 3 next month, and he is the most adorable and caring dog ever. He was a little difficult to train (but I'm sure the one you may adopt is trained since it's 9 months), but after that it was smooth sailing. He is such a sweetheart, and he loves to just lay and cuddle. He does eat a lot (this is just mine, don't know about others), so he is a little fat, lol. He loves house food. The grooming can become a pain, but as long you do it once a month, you'll be fine. His hair grows extremely fast. I think if you do end up getting the cocker spaniel you'll be very happy... they are great dogs who are extremely lovable, and just like to hang around (at least that's how mine is, and a few I've met).

My cocker spaniel is going to be 3 next month, and he is the most adorable and caring dog ever. He was a little difficult to train (but I'm sure the one you may adopt is trained since it's 9 months), but after that it was smooth sailing. He is such a sweetheart, and he loves to just lay and cuddle. He does eat a lot (this is just mine, don't know about others), so he is a little fat, lol. He loves house food. The grooming can become a pain, but as long you do it once a month, you'll be fine. His hair grows extremely fast. I think if you do end up getting the cocker spaniel you'll be very happy... they are great dogs who are extremely lovable, and just like to hang around (at least that's how mine is, and a few I've met).
mine too!!! they can be obsessive about food!!! they seem to be missing that chemical that tells their brain when they're full... they only non-fat cockers that i've ever seen are either puppies or show dogs.

I had a Cocker Spaniel growing up and she was absolutely sweet and caring.. never barked. Protective. Chill. When she got older she got cataracts and lost her sight in one eye :sad: She died at 13 i believe and was about 25-30 lbs, maybe?

Hope this helps! They are really wonderful dogs!

I had one also, with very similar characteristics. She only barked to signal a problem, never at the mailman, squirrels (although she did chase them often), and very rarely at visitors. She was very loving, and was both an indoor/outdoor dog. We groomed her every other month, with at home baths as needed. She didn't get very dirty or smelly. She also had eyesight problems as she aged, and in the very end, developed a tumor that could not be removed (non-cancerous, she was too old and the Vet wasn't sure she'd make it).

We loved her until the end - she was about 14. It's still hard at times, as we have a "thing" at my mom's house that when you walk in, you announce "Hey Lucy, I'm home" ala Ricky Ricardo. We named her "Hey Lucy" (but was just called Lucy, or lucy goosey, lucy loo) and she RAN to see you and sat below you until you greeted her.