Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

View attachment 3766689 I have a 2007 No. 11261 Ergo Belted Leather Bag in Tobacco in excellent condition, except for the front 2 large rings. They have wear on the finish. Does anyone know what this hardware is made of? Is it brass or just plated? Is there any way I can polish this up? I could have Coach replace the hardware for $35, but I prefer to send it in to them only after I've exhausted other methods. Any help is appreciated. This is my first post to the rehab forum. I do have some goodies in my stash to start working on soon. Here is the hardware photo.

Usually using a metal polish (and lots of Q-tips and patience) will remove the dark marks on hardware. I prefer Wenol metal polish. You can buy it online or sometimes at auto supply stores - but there are other popular brands. Good luck!

Reactions: dgphoto
Hi all, I'm in the process of rehabbing an old Coach Court bag and waiting for it to dry. I decided to call Coach's head office to get the missing hangtag replaced while waiting. They said that they don't have hangtags for my bag model and were sorry they couldn't help. I thought they gave out generic gold ones if they didn't have a specific bag's hangtag? Did they stop doing that?

Hi all, I'm in the process of rehabbing an old Coach Court bag and waiting for it to dry. I decided to call Coach's head office to get the missing hangtag replaced while waiting. They said that they don't have hangtags for my bag model and were sorry they couldn't help. I thought they gave out generic gold ones if they didn't have a specific bag's hangtag? Did they stop doing that?
I called one week ago and was told that they would send out three per customer. They would try to match the leather of your bag, unless they were unable. If it was a limited edition and discontinued, or vintage, they may not be able to. In that case, they would send a metal tag to match the hardware of your bag. But, I have also been finding a big variance in what different customer service reps say and their level of knowledge. I have found Coach Customer Service very helpful, and I am really very appreciative of Coach! Many of their reps are new and just learning. We are getting something for free after all.

Impulse purchase at Wally World. Gonna try it on one of the ashtray bags and report back!
I thought it would probably be safe for leather since the label says it's safe for wool. That sold me on this brand v. the Febreeze version.

I used Oderzout from Ace Hardware (it's also available on Amazon). It's a granular sprinkle and it works so well. I just sprinkle it sparingly (this is key--too many granules and you transfer the smell back in to the leather! I use a teaspoon or so per bag) in the bag, and then set outside, not in a box or bag or anything. Try to keep any compartments open, and sprinkle a tiny bit in each compartment. Every day replace the sprinkles, keeping the compartments open. I had a horrible smoke bag that came odor free in three days. Then I dunked and conditioned.

Reactions: LadyEdwards
Just a little funny story. I was at Goodwill today looking at the bags but I didn't buy anything. As I was walking past a display of belts I overheard 2 men talking. One was a customer and the other was an employee.

The customer was holding a silver chain with lobster claw fasteners at either end and asking "What the heck is this? It isn't a belt!" and the employee said "I don't know what it is, what on earth could you do with something like this?" So I butted in and said "it's a purse strap!" and they both looked at me and said in surprised voices "Oh!"

I took a look at the strap and it was kind of flimsy so I walked away, but I was amused by the 2 guys trying to figure out a function for an obvious bag strap!