Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

If a bag has "mold measles" but no surface mold is the mold all dead or one would still have to work into the leather/lining to get the spots out? I'm so afraid it will infect my other bags or aggravate my allergies :sad: The bag is a vintage Prairie from mid-90s in Bone. The seller was super misleading about the condition (painted over scuffs/wear) and probably altered the picture as the mold spots on close-ups didn't even show. Unfortunately there's no refund. There is also pitting in the leather on the back of the bag where the black dots are faded but plentiful (almost like a pattern) so the mold before this seller had it had already been eating through the bag.

So far I've done a dunk in Dawn dish soap then vinegar while scrubbing with a toothbrush. It's still in the process of drying 24hrs+. So are these spots mold or is it just the lining trying to dry out? I went back in with alcohol on q-tips to these dots on the lining but when it dries it comes back. There is absolutely no smell, even when it was received in the mail.

Additionally how would one store this bag? Separately from all other bags ofc but would it be ok in the house in a storage box? Should I throw it away? Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

View attachment 5978790

View attachment 5978820

View attachment 5978821
Even if the seller has a no return policy, you might still try opening a case as NAD (not as described) if the mold spots were not shown nor disclosed in the listing.

Reactions: mochicake
I read several recommendations in this thread for Fiebing's Black Saddle Soap but I have no experience with this product, can someone tell me more about it?

The golden rule used to be that you should never use any shoe polish on a handbag because the color may rub off on your hands and clothes, but perhaps that isn't a problem with the Fiebing's black saddle soap?

I've also read comments here stating that it can be messy and difficult to work with the Fiebing's Black Saddle Soap, can anyone offer suggestions about the best ways to use it?

I am always open to new ideas about the new approaches for rehabbing bags, so I would like more information about this product, thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! Does anybody have any advice on what to do about these black marks/scuffs? I’ve tried a couple rounds of lexol leather cleaner and bick 4 cleaner+conditioner, but they haven’t budged.

Attachments

• IMG_9393.jpeg
    IMG_9393.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9395.jpeg
    IMG_9395.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 9
The mold spots are permanent, even if you've killed the mold. It's likely the mold was already dead when you got it. If not, the vinegar would have finished it off. I don't see any problem storing it with your other bags, now that the mold is dead.

Thank you for the advice. I had used some towels to stuff & dry it then put them with other things in the wash so was worried about those too. I've decided to throw the bag out since it looks way worse when I went outside to place it in sunlight. Sad that the seller had kept it until it was in such a state. The Prairie is a beautiful bag.

Thank you for the advice. I had used some towels to stuff & dry it then put them with other things in the wash so was worried about those too. I've decided to throw the bag out since it looks way worse when I went outside to place it in sunlight. Sad that the seller had kept it until it was in such a state. The Prairie is a beautiful bag.
You could always try to dye it a darker color.

Reactions: mochicake
Hi everyone! Does anybody have any advice on what to do about these black marks/scuffs? I’ve tried a couple rounds of lexol leather cleaner and bick 4 cleaner+conditioner, but they haven’t budged.
The fabric also looks dirty. I would give the bag a bath in Dawn dish soap and water, try rubbing the scuffed areas with soap and your fingers during the wash - or try gentlyt using a soft brush like a toothbrush or a nail brush. Don't be worried if the water gets a little red during the bath, that's okay.

Next rinse the bag in clean water and let it drain in the sink for awhile, then stuff the bag with towels to shape it while it dries. Turn it periodically to continue shaping and drying. Remove the towels while it is still damp and let it continue to sit until it is dry. It may take a couple of days.

I use Lexol often and I like it, but I consider it a "lightweight" leather cleaner and conditioner and so I use it mostly for light maintenance. There are more intensive leather conditioners that will hopefully darken the leather a bit and make the marks less noticeable.

Leather CPR is a good general leather conditioner and you can get it at the Dollar Store. There is another product called Black Rocks Leather 'n Rich (Amazon) that is a deeper conditioner and it usually darkens the leather (in a good way) and helps to cover blemishes.

Those would be my first steps, I would start with Leather CPR and give it time to absorb, if it still looks scruffy, I would apply BRs sparingly, wipe off the excess, let it absorb, and then buff with a soft horsehair brush.

Does the bag have other problems, could you post more pictures? Good luck!

Last edited:
That really is quite sad. I love the Prairie bag too. I agree you could consider dying it dark. It's always hard to give up on a cool bag. i would complain to the seller just to let them know it's unacceptable to conceal such damage when selling online. I would feel betrayed if I were you.

Reactions: mochicake and katev
I am so glad I read this tonight. I have been buffing after every coat of conditioner, but I’m feeling like that is overkill if I remove excess between coats and let it sink into the leather. Thoughts?? Much appreciated for your advice!

I am so glad I read this tonight. I have been buffing after every coat of conditioner, but I’m feeling like that is overkill if I remove excess between coats and let it sink into the leather. Thoughts?? Much appreciated for your advice!
I allow time after applying conditioner before buffing, usually overnight or at least a few hours. If I am rehabbing a bag I usually wait until the rehab is finished and then I buff the bag with a soft horsehair brush as the last step.

I allow time after applying conditioner before buffing, usually overnight or at least a few hours. If I am rehabbing a bag I usually wait until the rehab is finished and then I buff the bag with a soft horsehair brush as the last step.
Thank you! I usually wait 24 hours (at least) and buff between leather CPR, Black Rocks, and Obenauffs (if I use it). That’s a lot of buffing, but the buffing seems crucial if I use obenauff’s It seems really waxy.

Reactions: Lake Effect
Thank you! I usually wait 24 hours (at least) and buff between leather CPR, Black Rocks, and Obenauffs (if I use it). That’s a lot of buffing, but the buffing seems crucial if I use obenauff’s It seems really waxy.
If you are waiting that long I don't think you are removing too much of the conditioner. I think buffing helps the next coat soak in.

Thank you @whateve. That makes sense for CPR and black rocks. I usually wipe gently after application and then let it sit. With Obenauff’s, in the past, I let it sit and then warmed it in the sun prior to wiping and buffing. A little went a LONG way. Not sure if it creates too much of a waxy seal that prevents the leather from breathing. I did like the smell.

The link below shows after rehab photos of my recent project, an XL Ergo Tote 10744 (2006). I don't have any before pictures but the bag was very dirty and there were stains and ink marks on the lining. I dunked it and it cleaned up very well. There are still a few marks on the lining that I was not able to completely erradicate, but it is much better. I will give this bag to my friend for her birthday when I see her next week!

I saw my friend today and gave her the rehabbed XL Ergo Tote 10744 as a birthday gift and she really loves it!

thumbnail_IMG_4324.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for a little help please. I’m currently holidaying in Orlando, Florida and looking to stock up on Leather CPR, which seems to be the go to product for Vintage Coach.

I popped in to a local Walmart and checked for Leather CPR by the shoe polish, and also in the cleaning products aisle, with no joy. The assistants didn’t speak much English, so couldn’t help.

There’s a Target I could try nearby, not sure if they are likely stockists 🤷🏻‍♀️. Can anyone point me in the right direction please 🙏.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for a little help please. I’m currently holidaying in Orlando, Florida and looking to stock up on Leather CPR, which seems to be the go to product for Vintage Coach.

I popped in to a local Walmart and checked for Leather CPR by the shoe polish, and also in the cleaning products aisle, with no joy. The assistants didn’t speak much English, so couldn’t help.

There’s a Target I could try nearby, not sure if they are likely stockists 🤷🏻‍♀️. Can anyone point me in the right direction please 🙏.

Thanks for any help you can give.
I've gotten it at Marshalls sometimes. Never Walmart or Target. They used to have it at Bed Bath and Beyond and Tuesday Morning but those closed. I've never seen it at Ross or TJ Maxx but that doesn't mean they don't ever carry it.

Reactions: LunaLago