Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

I am not for a backpack for myself, but I DO love the looks of a restored bag. Many of the bags that are restored here are not "up my alley", but I truly admire the results of a restoration. Personally I still look for a bag to restore but I do not have access to a viable goodwill or any kind of other sales opportunities, so it will have to wait till I find "my restore" bag.

A new rehab in process. It's not Coach, but I've found another designer I love. Michael Green Scandiabag USA. He was a 1960's "hippie leather worker" in San Francisco. Moved to Seattle, had a factory here, and sold at Nordstroms (high end store). I found this squished and abandoned at the Goodwill for $13. Vintage backpack from the 80's probably. I'm loving how it's rehabbing. After the dunk and one leather CPR. I'm going to refresh the color, and it needs some leather cement on the top opening seams.

View attachment 5612297

View attachment 5612298

View attachment 5612299
Oh thanks for sharing! I’ve recently seen a few of his bags while out and about and thought they had a very similar feel to the quality of Coach. I’ve been meaning to research but kept getting distracted by shiny sparkly things . Based on you handle I assume you are a Seattle girl. Me too! Well kinda’ I‘m on the Eastside

Hello Coach experts,
This is a goodwill auction for vintage basic bags but they have a stripe lining and no creed? These are authenticated, has anybody seen these before?

View attachment 5612795

View attachment 5612796
They aren't basic bags, they are cosmetic bags, much smaller than basic bags and no place to attach straps. They are called chunky cases. Here is a catalog picture. These are often faked and I wouldn't trust Goodwill's authentication services.

7165 chunky make up kit magnifying glass zipper pull.jpeg

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is starting the week out healthy & Happy!

Does anyone know if you can recondition a D&B like a coach bag? Dunk it & condition it? I want to clean up my friends bag- it looks like crap. I don’t know the do’s & don’t of those bags. Thanks for any input or direction you can point me :smile:

Reactions: Tilis and LadaZuri

Does anyone know if you can recondition a D&B like a coach bag? Dunk it & condition it? I want to clean up my friends bag- it looks like crap. I don’t know the do’s & don’t of those bags. Thanks for any input or direction you can point me :smile:
Some of us have rehabbed Dooney bags. It depends on the bag. There is a Dooney rehab thread too but it isn't as active as on here.

Another question for the hive mind. I got this Coach F37975 Turnlock Rucksack Backpack in Colorblock Denim, and the denim corners of the front pockets are worn and have color loss. Any tips for helping with that?

View attachment 5613389
Fabric dye or ink dissolved in water. It would be difficult to match and anything you did would likely be permanent.

Another question for the hive mind. I got this Coach F37975 Turnlock Rucksack Backpack in Colorblock Denim, and the denim corners of the front pockets are worn and have color loss. Any tips for helping with that?

View attachment 5613389
My suggestion would be to use watered down fabric paint. Just a tiny bit should help. You can mix up a close match and test on denim scraps. Good luck!

I have dunked Dooney bags, and it depends on the bag what kind of rehab I would suggest. The true All Weather Leather from the 80s and 90s doesn’t really take dunking well because the leather was treated to be waterproof- hence the duck symbol- so I have found that cleaning with leather conditioner/cleaner on the body of the bag and blackrocks on the bridle leather trim to be the best route. Like I said, I have dunked them and they come out fine, but you won’t see huge improvement like a Coach bag.

My suggestion would be to use watered down fabric paint. Just a tiny bit should help. You can mix up a close match and test on denim scraps. Good luck!
Fabric dye or ink dissolved in water. It would be difficult to match and anything you did would likely be permanent.
Thank you both for the ideas! I did more research online. Two more techniques. This one seems strange, but I'm thinking about it. Crayon and then heat applied (ironing). Also, a technique using rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to spread existing dye from one spot to cover another. https://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-restore-the-color-to-faded-areas-on-jeans/