coach patent leather vs regular leather

fizzy88

Aug 15, 2009
hi everyone...does anybody know how well coach patent leather holds up over time as compared to their regular leather?

i'm thinking of getting the maggie purse in the graphite patent leather...love the look and color. however, i've never owned any patent leather purses before, so i researched "patent leather" on wikipedia to find out more about it (how it's made, how to care for it, etc)...and it said "With wear and tear, patent leather will eventually lose its glossy finish, but will still be smoother than most other types of leather, looking almost rubbery." RUBBERY!?!?!? ACK! that alarmed me! so now i'm thinking i should maybe stick w/ regular leather. what do you think? i don't really buy designer purses, so it's an investment for me and i would love to be able to use this purse for years to come (5-10 years).

has anyone had a coach patent leather purse for this long (or any patent leather purse)? if so, how has it held up over time?

your feedback is appreciated!

thanks fashionistas!

i have 2 patent leather sabrinas but only since march this year..
and i switched bags everyday and baby them too..
so, not sure about it withstanding the test of times yet..
maybe should let hyacinth or perhaps other more experienced coachies to answer this

I've had my patent Ergo lg hobo for two years now. Where the bag creases naturally, it has cracked. It started cracking after a year of use. I wont send it in, because I love the bag too much. It's the perfect for rainy days and snowy days. Now that it has cracked, I just use it as my "I don't care what happens to it so I'll carry it anyways" bag.

I use my patent gallery tote and patent leah all the time (they're my bad weather bags) and they both look gorgeous still. The gallery tote has gone through a lot since it's my go to bag on school trips as well (I'm a teacher).

hmmm...the "cracking" is a little concerning.

i'm now leaning towards the regular leather. i'm going to be using the maggie as my everyday purse (so it's def going to get some use/wear and tear)...so it sounds like regular leather might be the better option for me. if i'm going to be spending $700 on it, i def don't want it cracking in a few years!

thanks everyone. if anyone still has more patent leather experiences to share, would still love to hear from you!

ps. peacocky...you said you won't "send it in"...what would coach do in this case? can they repair it?

thanks!

Last edited:
coach can't repair it, so they would give me credit for the bag since they no longer make this bag to send me another. The $458 credit would be nice towards another, but I can't part with this bag.

The large black ergo I have is the more smooshy And wrinkly look type of patent leather and it's not stiff at all so I'm not too worried about cracking. The pleated ergos I have are made of patent leather that is smooth and more stiff. I would worry about cracking
more with these. So far, no problems yer. If it's stiffer, it's more unyielding and unforgiving to say bending and creasing. The smooshy type is more forgiving but it depends on use and environmental conditions as well. I know that regular leather cracks too when it gets too cold if I remember it right. I'd say patent is more if not just as susceptible to that.