COACH declares war on loyal customers (editorial article)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't resellers of authentic product that are bringing down the Coach name, it's the multitude of counterfeit sellers. When you can buy these counterfeits in carts in the middle of the same malls where the real boutique items are sold, and nobody does anything about it, then something is seriously wrong. (If I see another fake Fendi Spy bag in a mall stand, I'll puke)

If Coach would put all of this effort into banning just the fake sellers, things would greatly improve. So why are they wasting time and energy in banning authentic product resellers, when the fake hoardes are still out there?

I feel like it has to be about the money. What else drives a multi billion dollar company?

If Coach wanted more money for the bags that resellers are selling, then Coach should have sold the bags for more money than they did.

I'm not a resller, and frankly I don't see how selling on eBay can be worth it with all the fees and everything, so it isn't something that I'm interested in, but for those who are, this is sad.

I'm a member of MUA too :tup: I don't like it when MAC attacks their customers either, these companies really need better solutions imho. I'm no corporate thinker but isn't there a better way? Obviously, these companies want to move the outlet product out the door or it wouldn't be there at a discount-then they get upset that people are buying the products they want to sell. Not to mention that it makes no sense for a company trying to sell a product to continuously alienate customers-the more customers, the more you sell and that's the bottom line.

Finally...imho Coach needs to start worrying about it's own quality control issues of late rather than being concerned with how their product holds up upon being resold.

Hey fellow mua'er, are you the melissa on mua who is huge stila collector?

wow, i have no words for this. What about those of us whom just collect? I mean, I have spent lots oh $$$ between the outlet and the boutique- mostly the boutique. My returns were to the outlet. So sad....

Yeah I have heard of this happening and I think it's ridiculous and would be totally humiliating. I do agree with limiting purchases, as in 3 of each item, etc.. but other than that.. give me a break! A lot of people buy for gifts and/or buy more and return later or yeah, end up selling.. big deal! Coach got the price they asked for the product right?! :shrugs:

I will not say "no" to Coach over this.

I agree 100% that it's not fair to other buyers to have these people clean out the outlet and resell. I want my Coach from the shops not Ebay. I want to be able to enjoy the experience of going to the outlet and hunt for a super deal. I like Ebay, don't get me wrong, but I can't agree with those people who clean out a place only to resell (and this happens with all kinds of stuff not only handbags). Of course this practice can hurt people like my SIL who drops $700-$800 on the outlet on stuff that's all for her(yes, Iv'e been with her several times and I leave green with envy!!) or presents for Xmas, b-days or secretaries day (yes, she gives fab presents!!). It's the roll of the dice. The reselling practice is not dishonest per se, but it 100% honest either. What Coach really has to take a closer look at is fakes or replicas. That is illegal and cannot be tolerated.

Yea I don't really think it's cool to buy tons just to get profit yourself. Its backhanded and kind of shady IMO your profitting off of the work the company did. I mean one bag you used and don't anymore is different. I think Coach is justified in taking actions.

I will not say "no" to Coach over this.

I agree 100% that it's not fair to other buyers to have these people clean out the outlet and resell. I want my Coach from the shops not Ebay. I want to be able to enjoy the experience of going to the outlet and hunt for a super deal. I like Ebay, don't get me wrong, but I can't agree with those people who clean out a place only to resell (and this happens with all kinds of stuff not only handbags). Of course this practice can hurt people like my SIL who drops $700-$800 on the outlet on stuff that's all for her(yes, Iv'e been with her several times and I leave green with envy!!) or presents for Xmas, b-days or secretaries day (yes, she gives fab presents!!). It's the roll of the dice. The reselling practice is not dishonest per se, but it 100% honest either. What Coach really has to take a closer look at is fakes or replicas. That is illegal and cannot be tolerated.
I totally agree! :tup:

I personally don't like it when people clean out an outlet to resell on Ebay just because it takes away the shopping experience for those of us who like to Outlet shop and find fabulous deals, but it's their business in the end I suppose!

I would be absolutely mortified if I ever received a letter like that! I used to shop at Coach bi weekly and make a lot of purchases (wish I still could now, lol) -- and sometimes would get multiples for gifts and spend a lot of money there. I can only imagine if I got "banned" from Coach!!!

Argh, how embarrassing for that lady! I agree with what most have said already, if people buy a bunch of items from an outlet or boutique, Coach still gets their money. I would be curious to know how much money they think they are losing due to people selling items on ebay. They really do need to watch the fakes on ebay more closely as well as the hundreds of websites that sell fake Coach bags.

I think people who love Coach will continue to go to boutiques and outlets. Sure, we can get some good deals on ebay, but there are many things you can't get on ebay too.

What. The. Hell.

I'm gonna do some research into this...BF thinks it's a hoax but I really don't I see where they're coming from, getting aggravated with the huge amount of counterfeits and all, but this is a bit extreme. I'm gonna go ask my BF's mom today (who is an SA) and see if she's heard anything about it...

EDIT: Just thought of something else when I was talking to the BF...basically WHY would they do this?? It seems that they don't realize how much revenue they could lose due to banning people who are getting punished for the mass amount of fakes out there....This is just like...wowwww. I don't even know what to say!

:nogood: nope it's not. Saw this on the handbag forums on Ebay a while ago. While I don't like what Coach is doing, I can't stay away from the bags. But I will never venture into selling much on Ebay due to this...

this is my last post in this thread because I see nothing but train wreck coming. For my last post I will mention that Coach is not the only company that does this. LV targets customers as well and will trow them out of the store. It happened to a lady on the ebay board. Gymboree even does this, as well as pottery barn, J crew, Gap, Banana republic, etc. Just go in to any of these stores and ask them. Dooney even has a customer limit in their outlets, it's on the door when you walk in.

You are right about other companies doing this but it doesn't excuse the tacky manner in which some of these cases have been handled.

It isn't resellers of authentic product that are bringing down the Coach name, it's the multitude of counterfeit sellers. When you can buy these counterfeits in carts in the middle of the same malls where the real boutique items are sold, and nobody does anything about it, then something is seriously wrong. (If I see another fake Fendi Spy bag in a mall stand, I'll puke)

If Coach would put all of this effort into banning just the fake sellers, things would greatly improve. So why are they wasting time and energy in banning authentic product resellers, when the fake hoardes are still out there?

I feel like it has to be about the money. What else drives a multi billion dollar company?

If Coach wanted more money for the bags that resellers are selling, then Coach should have sold the bags for more money than they did.

I'm not a resller, and frankly I don't see how selling on eBay can be worth it with all the fees and everything, so it isn't something that I'm interested in, but for those who are, this is sad.

ITA !!!!!! :tup:

I personally don't like it when people clean out an outlet to resell on Ebay just because it takes away the shopping experience for those of us who like to Outlet shop and find fabulous deals, but it's their business in the end I suppose!

I would be absolutely mortified if I ever received a letter like that! I used to shop at Coach bi weekly and make a lot of purchases (wish I still could now, lol) -- and sometimes would get multiples for gifts and spend a lot of money there. I can only imagine if I got "banned" from Coach!!!

Agreed. I think they should limit the number of a particular item because it sucks for someone to come in and clean up every single item when you know no one needs 10 Black Alis.

Status
Not open for further replies.