Clothes from vintage fabric

TammyD

Rising Star
O.G.
Feb 26, 2006
Hello everyone,

Sorry, this is a totally self-indulgent thread. I found some really cute limited quantities of French and Italian vintage fabric from a local shop and could not help designing and making dresses out of them. Some of them were completed last week and here are pictures. Sorry if this sounds totally self-absorbed to anyone. I figure people who love purses might love interesting clothes too.

This one is made from French white cotton eyelet. It is luxuriously soft. I followed the Miu Miu design and lined it in black satin, but added shape. Tried it with vintage beads and a vintage belt.

Whiteeyeletdress.jpg

Whiteeyeletdress2.jpg

This one is French cotton in pale yellow with pink and white flowers. Vintage fabric. Also luxuriously soft. I made it in the 70s style boat neck design, but it's completely tailored ie. no elasticized waist, so that the skirt is A-lined. Figured it's more flattering. I made a matching belt with fabric buckles to go along with it, but here I tried it on with a vintage belt for effect. And green vintage heels.

Yellosunshinedress.jpg

This one is European vintage cotton, in white with green and pink design. I also made it in 70s style cross front design with A line skirt and matching belt. Here I am with my beloved dark brown spy.

Frenchpinkgreencotton2.jpg

Ok, I didn't make this dress. It's a vintage dress, the sheer kind you need a slip under. But I embellished my denim jacket with everything I can find so it looks intricate.

Blacksheerdresswithjacket.jpg

i'm with roo
HOLY
HECK
:blink: :biggrin:

those are really amazing. i would pay good money for those if they were in a boutique and my size and yaddayaddayadda...very nice indeed.

so jealous. i have two left thumbs when it comes to sewing machienes. i can knit though...kind of. and embroider. woo. :smile:

Tammy, those dresses are sooo pretty and original! Thanks for posting, they look great on you. I love vintage fabric, it can be really nice if you have the opportunity to find one in good condition. Your miu miu inspired eylet dress is stunning!

TammyD said:
Hi Roo,

So great to know you love sewing too!! Do you cut your own paper patterns? Or do you use ready-cut ones?

My mother used to make her own patterns, but I don't. I have a hard time finding quality fabrics in Seattle, so I have to travel to Vancouver B.C. to get the good wools and silks. Because of that, I don't like to take chances that I might make mistakes with my own patterns on something expensive I've bought and driven home.

Here's my most recent creation, this is a lightweight italian wool coat I made in azalea pink. I did modify the pocket shape on the coat but pretty much followed the pattern otherwise. I have not had time for sewing recently but need to make a few things for fall. (the thumbnail is the INC coat I copied the design of the pockets from)

View attachment 32042

pinkcoat1lining.JPG

pinkcoatoutside.jpg

Roo - beautiful coat!! I love the color! It is so hot right now. I am making a hippie summer dress right now with spaghetti straps using a vintage cotton fabric with shades of hot pink just like that. I am so loving the color!

TammyD said:
Roo - beautiful coat!! I love the color! It is so hot right now. I am making a hippie summer dress right now with spaghetti straps using a vintage cotton fabric with shades of hot pink just like that. I am so loving the color!

Keep posting photos of your creations! I love it!!!

Tammy D - i'm soo jealous, you are so talented!! I absolutely love the pink v neck dress, the shape is just perfect on you. I would buy that in a heartbeat from the shops. I see so many beautiful vintage fabrics here in london but can't sew, wish i could.

Thanks for indulging me, you guys! :heart: :heart: :heart: I have got so many more which are sitting in my closet. I tend to make most of my clothes because I come across these beautiful fabrics from all over the world and keep buying them. Plus at 5"2, I like my clothes to fit me well and not run too long. I will put them on and get DH to take more pictures of me in them so I can post them. I've got at least 15-20 pieces more which I made last year, and am making 2 more in the meantime for summer and a friend's wedding.

My closet is exploding!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: