Closet inspo please

We had just wire shelving in our closet for years. Big room over the garage, but completely disorganized with shoes in boxes stacked (so when you needed the one on the bottom the whole mess fell over). Sweaters piled on wire shelves, hanging items just jammed together. Had our contractor custom build based on our measurements for linear space needed for hanging items, and drawers needed for folded stuff. Sweaters and Jeans folded on shelves. Counted shoes, and figured out how much shelving I'd need for them (hint: it's never enough!). Shelves are all adjustable. Had sloped walls on 2 sides so accounted for that with shelves for bags etc and to maximize usable space. Also added an island for temporary storage and drawers for things like jewelry, scarves, belts etc. In-rod lighting is key! Also puck lighting to highlight items on shelves. A nice light fixture can dress up any area. It's not just better organized, it's a pleasure to walk in there and figure out what to wear vs. being stressed with a messy or uninspiring space.

End result is much more organized, with much fewer items, because when we hauled everything out to remodel we only kept out what was in regular rotation. Realized I didn't need at least 50% of what I had! Also having things visible and organized makes things more usable. (Look! new closet saves us $ in the end! lols....)

I do have to say that sliding door indoor/outdoor space you have going in is the bomb!!!
Ooh I love your space with the darker wood! I’m a sucker for that lighting as well. Really highlights everything. I’d like an island like you too for smaller items. That’s so unique that you have a small kitchen as well?! Don’t let me have a kitchen in my closet because I will NEVER come out of there, lmao!!

Reactions: WingNut
We had just wire shelving in our closet for years. Big room over the garage, but completely disorganized with shoes in boxes stacked (so when you needed the one on the bottom the whole mess fell over). Sweaters piled on wire shelves, hanging items just jammed together. Had our contractor custom build based on our measurements for linear space needed for hanging items, and drawers needed for folded stuff. Sweaters and Jeans folded on shelves. Counted shoes, and figured out how much shelving I'd need for them (hint: it's never enough!). Shelves are all adjustable. Had sloped walls on 2 sides so accounted for that with shelves for bags etc and to maximize usable space. Also added an island for temporary storage and drawers for things like jewelry, scarves, belts etc. In-rod lighting is key! Also puck lighting to highlight items on shelves. A nice light fixture can dress up any area. It's not just better organized, it's a pleasure to walk in there and figure out what to wear vs. being stressed with a messy or uninspiring space.

End result is much more organized, with much fewer items, because when we hauled everything out to remodel we only kept out what was in regular rotation. Realized I didn't need at least 50% of what I had! Also having things visible and organized makes things more usable. (Look! new closet saves us $ in the end! lols....)

I do have to say that sliding door indoor/outdoor space you have going in is the bomb!!!
Also, thank you! The indoor/outdoor area sold me! The shades come down and so you kind of feel it’s another room.
IMG_1422.jpeg
IMG_1416.jpeg

Ooh I love your space with the darker wood! I’m a sucker for that lighting as well. Really highlights everything. I’d like an island like you too for smaller items. That’s so unique that you have a small kitchen as well?! Don’t let me have a kitchen in my closet because I will NEVER come out of there, lmao!!
That "kitchen" is more of a right-angled hallway from the bedroom into the closet, which is actually behind the bathroom. Original layout by architect had you going through bathroom to get into closet (I hate that. Just hate it), so we changed the access to going around and behind the bath, and made the best use out of it, with built-in drawers, some cabinets, sink, micro, mini-fridge. Whoever gets out of the shower first is on coffee-making duty, so we can enjoy coffee while getting ready in the AM. I'll not have another house without that (yeah, spoiled)!

That "kitchen" is more of a right-angled hallway from the bedroom into the closet, which is actually behind the bathroom. Original layout by architect had you going through bathroom to get into closet (I hate that. Just hate it), so we changed the access to going around and behind the bath, and made the best use out of it, with built-in drawers, some cabinets, sink, micro, mini-fridge. Whoever gets out of the shower first is on coffee-making duty, so we can enjoy coffee while getting ready in the AM. I'll not have another house without that (yeah, spoiled)!
A hot coffee while you take a gander at your lovely handbag collection…yes please!!!

• Haha
Reactions: WingNut
We just met with our contractor and he’ll send plans in the next couple of days. Once approved the cabinets will take about three weeks to make and install should only be one or two days. We might also use his company to epoxy our garage floors! Feels good to start crossing things off the list before we move in!

I feel the design is pretty straight forward not too many bells and whistles. I am not a shoe person so I don’t know that I need that much shelving for shoes. I could use it for bags instead. Also, I think we’d like to do the backings of the cabinets. That door is actually a window.

I feel the design is pretty straight forward not too many bells and whistles. I am not a shoe person so I don’t know that I need that much shelving for shoes. I could use it for bags instead. Also, I think we’d like to do the backings of the cabinets. That door is actually a window.
Love the design! May I ask where you’re located? And if in the U.S., what company you selected? We’re looking to move in the next five to six years, and a big, swanky closet is on my radar, so I’m starting to think it through. I have Elfa shelving from The Container Store now, the white wire kind with the birch facade. Two of my shelves are birch, but only the two where I store things I use on the daily, like my work bag. I also have birch jewelry drawers with dividers and lids. It’s a very small walk-in and I want something bigger and more fabulous wherever we move next.

For your drawers, either along the walls or in the island, are they going to be for clothes, accessories, jewelry, or other things? I’m always curious how people arrange their closets.

On bag storage, have you taken stock of what you have and calculated that, plus how you plan to build up or downsize your collection in the coming years? Bag height and how you plan to store your bags will come into play. When I designed my current closet, they kept wanting to talk about long hang and short hang, while my focus was on my bags. Yes, I really did design my current closet around my bags.

On shoes, that’s one thing I didn’t have storage for built into my current setup. We don’t wear shoes in our house and our laundry room leads out to the garage, so I had shelving installed over the washer and dryer instead and this is where we store shoes.

Love the design! May I ask where you’re located? And if in the U.S., what company you selected? We’re looking to move in the next five to six years, and a big, swanky closet is on my radar, so I’m starting to think it through. I have Elfa shelving from The Container Store now, the white wire kind with the birch facade. Two of my shelves are birch, but only the two where I store things I use on the daily, like my work bag. I also have birch jewelry drawers with dividers and lids. It’s a very small walk-in and I want something bigger and more fabulous wherever we move next.

For your drawers, either along the walls or in the island, are they going to be for clothes, accessories, jewelry, or other things? I’m always curious how people arrange their closets.

On bag storage, have you taken stock of what you have and calculated that, plus how you plan to build up or downsize your collection in the coming years? Bag height and how you plan to store your bags will come into play. When I designed my current closet, they kept wanting to talk about long hang and short hang, while my focus was on my bags. Yes, I really did design my current closet around my bags.

On shoes, that’s one thing I didn’t have storage for built into my current setup. We don’t wear shoes in our house and our laundry room leads out to the garage, so I had shelving installed over the washer and dryer instead and this is where we store shoes.
Hi there! We used a local contractor out of Sacramento. We probably would’ve used California Closets but my husband knows him so we are able to get a better deal. To be honest, I’ve joke about IKEA before but if my husband and I had the know how I would’ve got some PAX systems and built it myself. I would’ve been perfectly happy with that! Lots of people use that system and seem to be happy with it. I’m pretty sure if we worked on that project together for several hours it would have resulted in divorce, lol.

The island top drawers will be for jewelry. I don’t have too much jewelry but I will ask for a lock on that drawer. I have two small children I can see them swiping everything and sprinkling it on the ground, lol. The smaller drawers along the wall will be for underwear/bras and smaller accessories like sunglasses.

You were smart to build around your bags. I actually didn’t take stock of my bags like a dummy but I will now. Bag storage is more important to me than shoe because we also do not wear shoes in the house. That’s why I’m thinking that dedicated shoe shelf is too much. I might only store my heels there, which I barely wear but a few times a year. I’m going to ask for a cabinet to be built in the garage. That’s where the bulk of the shoes will go. Thank you for making me realize this!

An option we had originally talked about was additional cabinets towards the ceiling. Now we see that there is only 11 inches left on top so I don’t think that storage would be beneficial.

I am a very scatter brained person that has zero organizational skills. Although this is an exciting project it is also overwhelming. I am always in two different minds as well. Part of me only needs one shelf and one hanger and I could be happy. The other part wants the luxury of it all. Lol!

Your walk-in right now sounds very organized! Do you mind sharing a picture of the handbag area?

I use my really high shelves to store boxes , pop of color and useful in case too. Plus I love boxes lol.
My jewelry drawer had a felt liner with different size compartments and I love it.
Don't forget a good closet mirror ( still need to find one) and nice closet lighting.
I ordered one from Wayfair and it shorted out when the electrician installed it so right now I just have a halogen bulb.
Also make sure you have good airflow especially if you live in a humid area.

• Insightful
Reactions: DME and BagLadyT