Clinique? Orgins?

Ais

Plus-Size Blogger
May 9, 2012
Okay, this forum is a wealth of knowledge, so I'm just going to ask.

I've been using clinique since I moved out on my own and discovered that skin care was much, much more than simply washing my face at night and putting on sunblock if I intended to try and bake myself to a crisp. It was the brand that everyone suggested for a beginner, especially one like me with sensitive skin -- I can't wear much of anything with perfume in it (19 times out of 20, it fails and I break out in little red bumps and it itches like crazy).

Anyway, a friend of mine found out I was using Clinique and she told me I just had to swap to Orgins, because it was "much more advanced and organic skincare". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for organic, but organic doesn't necessarily mean I want to smear it on my face - alkaloid poison (the poison from dart frogs) and feces are produced by nature and thus organic as well.

So what's the verdict? Which is better for my skin? And why? Or do you have another perfume-free skin care suggestion? I'm all ears (or eyes, as I have to read this ;) ).

I have used both Origins and Clinique and I really love them but for different things.
I started using Orgins when I worked there during college. I am lucky in that I have clear skin but it can be very dry; I also have incredibly sensitive skin and am allergic to sulfur which is an ingredient in most skincare products- I can't even use Cetaphil which is supposedly the most mild cleanser available however when I use it it burns me terribly.

Anyway, when I began working at Origins, I was having regular breakouts which I had never had before, and couldn't find a way to stop them. My manager, as part of teaching me about the brand, devised a routine for me to follow based on my concerns and I still use it to this day because I truly love it.
I cleanse with Origins Clean Energy cleansing oil. I was very hesitant in trying a cleansing oil because I figured it would make my skin more oily but in truth, if you have oily skin, oil sticks to oil so it removes excess, while if you have dry skin it cleanses without drying you out which the foaming cleanser I was using before did. It's incredibly mild but absolutely amazing.
Once or twice a week before I cleanse I use Modern Friction which is an exfoliator and actually the basis of their entire line. Again, I was nervous about how my sensitive skin would take the exfoliator but it's made up of rice so it doesn't irritate. It's seriously the best exfoliator I've ever used and it removes any excess dirt and dead skin which allows for everything else you use to sink in and work better.
If I use a mask I use their Clear Improvement charcoal mask which is amazing. It works like a magnet and literally pulls everything out of your pores. I love it!
If you can, I would definitely suggest consulting an Origins associate who will help you devise a routine based on your needs- I've played around with almost every product since I worked there and didn't dislike a thing. It's rare that I find a line that doesn't irritate my skin but Origins has really helped me.

Oh, and I moisturize with Clinique's Dramatically Differen't Moisturizer but only because I can't afford La Mer all the time. I am only so so about it but it's cheap and does the job. Don't hesitate if you have any more questions!

I have used both lines. I gave up with Clinique. Both my children have sensitive skin and I thought Clinique would help them and it didn't. Made their face itch. I have tried a few Orgins products on and off for years and years. I love some of them, such as the mint wash but others did not work for me. I also thought some of the products had a smell I did not like. The modern friction made my skin red and itchy and seemed to make my eyes sting even though I never got it in my eyes, I would try it a few times to make sure I was not doing something wrong. I liked the clean feeling after using the product but to me something in it did not work with my face.
Some Origins products seemed to have too much plant based or natural ingriedients in them which reacted with my skin. I love their body creams and sprays. Their one
moisturiser is good but I forgot the name.
I have used Dermalogica products for the past few months and have really loved them. Now that I am out I have switched to DHC products which I have used before. I find the DHC products are working better then many others I have used.
I use their cleanser, moisturiser and face spray. I also bought a liquid makeup and eye brightner cream since I get dark circles from allergies.

For both my kids I decided to have them try DHC. I bought them the liquid cleanser and olive oil moisturiser. I also bought two other moisturisers for them to try. So far my daughter has shown great improvement in the redness and dryness of her very sensitive skin in just over a week. For a simple basic skincare routine I would check into DHC online. They also have a great olive oil cleansing gel for taking off makeup and their bar soap is good. I bought my daughter the bar soap and small round facial brush to use with it. If you wanted to try DHC products they usually sell kits with small samples of the products in them.

Last edited:
I like certain parts of Clinique, but the one thing that I hate is their 3 Step. The clarifying lotions are full of alcohol, and the Dramatically Different Lotion is just mineral oil. I've also noticed that DDML used to be a moisturizer but now they are touting it as a "balancing lotion" that you apply before another moisturizer to help the 2nd one absorb better. Crazy. That way they can sell you more products.

Clinique used to be a lower price point so it was a good beginner brand in my mind, but many of their items are now higher priced or the same price as Lancome/EL, etc. Their Beauty Balm is $37 and their AntiOxidant Liquid Eye Shadows are $19, which I feel is too much for Clinique.

Like the OP , I have used clinique for many used... a friend raved about using origins and she convinced me to try their mushroom line ?? I am new to origins so names dont catch on yet.... and recently they have a brighter by nature serum??? has anyone used these ...I will be trying them out.... and I am forever looking for skincare products to even out my skin tone.....my face looks awful....being uneven skin color everywhere !

Like the OP , I have used clinique for many used... a friend raved about using origins and she convinced me to try their mushroom line ?? I am new to origins so names dont catch on yet.... and recently they have a brighter by nature serum??? has anyone used these ...I will be trying them out.... and I am forever looking for skincare products to even out my skin tone.....my face looks awful....being uneven skin color everywhere !

The mushroom line is Dr. Weil's line and I sampled it while I worked at Origins but never used it regularly. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are looking for anti aging products. I believe I was told mushroom is good for that.

I've also tried Brighter by Nature and I did like it but my favorite serum by Origins is definitely A Perfect World.

The mushroom line is Dr. Weil's line and I sampled it while I worked at Origins but never used it regularly. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are looking for anti aging products. I believe I was told mushroom is good for that.

I've also tried Brighter by Nature and I did like it but my favorite serum by Origins is definitely A Perfect World.

the reason I have picked Brighter by Nature is that I am looking for a product to even out my uneven skin tone !!! does any of the origins products do this at all ?? I hope so ... they sound so positive....

the reason I have picked Brighter by Nature is that I am looking for a product to even out my uneven skin tone !!! does any of the origins products do this at all ?? I hope so ... they sound so positive....

I've never used Brighter By Nature for a long period of time- only tested it in the store on the back of my hand several times but I do think it works well, and just putting it on the back of my hand I saw an immediate difference compared to my other hand. I've never had a negative experience with an Origins product, personally and I've tested almost all of them. I don't know if you have a store or counter near you but they will give you a sample so if you want to test it before you spend the money, definitely ask.

I've used quite a few clinique products, usually in sample form, but have never really been impressed. I never really liked the fragrances or consistencies to their moisturisers or cleansers, which I always found a little surprising, as so many people seem to be very loyal to this brand. I suppose everyone's skin and preferences are different!

Origins, on the other hand, have always impressed me. I am generally faithful to Dermalogica, but I used Origins throughout most of my teens and have continued to use a couple of their products in addition to my Dermalogica stuff - the charcoal mask is wonderful, and their "super spot remover" does an amazing job of stopping potential blemishes in their tracks. I also enjoyed using their Modern Friction microdermabrasion scrub, checks and balances cleanser when I was a teenager and my skin was somewhat oilier.

I wouldn't want to comment on which brand provides more "advanced skincare" - I'm sure both spend staggering amounts on R&D and know what they're doing, or they wouldn't be where they are today. But all in all, I feel that Origins has a better range of products, which have been more effective for my skin. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

They are pretty good with giving out samples of products in little pots, so perhaps if you're concerned about sensitivity, you could ask to try some and see how you get on?

Update.

Orgins gave me 3 days worth of samples for all products suggested by the consultant at the counter. Looking at the cost of everything online, grand total, I was so disheartened as it simply wasn't going to be affordable; not even if you counted the "gifts" from buying X amount. I was barely able to afford the clinique and the orgins was just a bit more expensive; I didn't use the samples they gave me as, knowing I couldn't afford it, it was just going to dishearten me further. It really had me stressed as this is the one area in which I do not want to sacrifice quality, I don't mind going for contemporary designers for bags, shoes, and wearing clothes primarily from H&M and similar shops--but my skin is a priority, the priority.

Long story short(er)? I've converted to using a non-name brand from Matas; they gave me 7 days worth of samples, but at their prices I would have been okay just buying their smallest containers. After a week of use my skin felt better, looked healthier, the red irritated bumps that are generally around were going away, and the moisture level evened out overall (I used to have a really bad dry area on my forehead and spent tons of $$ at clinique, but nothing worked).

My husband, who knew I wanted to try Orgins and had gotten samples, kissed my forehead the other night and commented, "wow, your skin is so smooth, that Orgins stuff must really be working". That sold me.

Good luck to everyone searching for good skincare, it's a challenge. I hope you find the skincare line that works for you.

Okay, this forum is a wealth of knowledge, so I'm just going to ask.

I've been using clinique since I moved out on my own and discovered that skin care was much, much more than simply washing my face at night and putting on sunblock if I intended to try and bake myself to a crisp. It was the brand that everyone suggested for a beginner, especially one like me with sensitive skin -- I can't wear much of anything with perfume in it (19 times out of 20, it fails and I break out in little red bumps and it itches like crazy).

Anyway, a friend of mine found out I was using Clinique and she told me I just had to swap to Orgins, because it was "much more advanced and organic skincare". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for organic, but organic doesn't necessarily mean I want to smear it on my face - alkaloid poison (the poison from dart frogs) and feces are produced by nature and thus organic as well.

So what's the verdict? Which is better for my skin? And why? Or do you have another perfume-free skin care suggestion? I'm all ears (or eyes, as I have to read this ;) ).

I think less is more. I found Clinique 3 step to be too much. I now use CeraVe cream cleanser (around $10 at Target and is big) and a Neutrogena moisturizer with SPF and my skin looks much, much better than it did using Clinique. My skin is soft and I also no longer break out.

i just bought the origins face foundation (in the round compact).. suppose to even out skin tone.. has anyone used this .. comes with its sponge but the CS recommended using it with a face brush.

Well I work at the Clinique counter often for my job, and I think that honestly, both brands are better for different things. Clinique really simplifies things for beginner skincare users. (With the 3 step kits, and those acne kits.) Clinique also has really good basic facial moisturizer and scrub creams. (Clinique also has a killer new Even Better concealer out, which covers even the darkest dark circles. I use it and love it.)

IMHO, Origins has a really good eye cream......much better than the one that Clinique makes. I also prefer Origin's cleansers over Clinique's. I really like the Plantscription collection by Origin.