Cleaning monogram vintage Gucci?

Jencine

Sep 18, 2009
I've tried sorting through the enourmous! amount of threads on here, and didn't see anything on this particular topic.

I'm not sure if vintage canvas monogram is structurally the same as the new kind? I'm totally new to Gucci.

I got a nice yet grimy used vintage bag it's apparently a brown tan color under the dirt... and have been doing small circles of Woolite and warm water on the bag, I'm sure that any wet treatment like this isn't the best, it's really been removing a LOT of distgusting build up but I can tell the corners are a good bit more worn and darkened.

Any tips for this one gals? I really would like to work on it myself rather than send it to somewhere to fix, I have a lot of free time at the moment and would like a project to keep me busy. I appreciate any feedback : )

I would be glad to try and help you Jenice if I can.

Could you please post a pic - I need to see what mono-canvas it is and what vintage. The 'tan' colour is throwing me too.

This is a before picture... it doesn't look so bad, but it's covered in grime!

download.jpg

It's not a Boston that I recognise but I'm guessing it's a covered canvas and leather.

I don't think you will harm that bag with a LITTLE water (as in damp and not dripping wet) and soap-like substance on the covered canvas part so long as you keep it to a minimum on the leather parts.

The scuffing and darkening corners are going to be more tricky.

I would not spray any 'protector' on the bag until you have completely cleaned it to your satisfaction or you will 'set' the dirt.

Thanks papertiger, those were my feelings too : ) I've been trying to date this bag but have been unsuccessful, it doesn't look 80's to me... maybe 70's or even 90's? Dunno, the inside is starting to flake so it's def. old!

I've been cleaning it every afternoon with a warm washcloth and Woolite doing circles then letting dry overnight to not saturate it too much.. seems to be working, more and more dirt comes off each time.

Thanks for you input, it's always appreciated!
-Karen

Thanks papertiger, those were my feelings too : ) I've been trying to date this bag but have been unsuccessful, it doesn't look 80's to me... maybe 70's or even 90's? Dunno, the inside is starting to flake so it's def. old!

I've been cleaning it every afternoon with a warm washcloth and Woolite doing circles then letting dry overnight to not saturate it too much.. seems to be working, more and more dirt comes off each time.

Thanks for you input, it's always appreciated!
-Karen

That's great - it'll be good as new soon :biggrin:

If you take a pic of the leather tab on the inside we could try to date it for you ;)