Cleaning LV

I just purchased a French Company 20+ year old monogram travel bag in rough condition. Anyone know the best place to send it out for a total cleaning/rehab??

I bought me speedy 30 about 10 days ago and the handles are already a little bit dirty, the dirt it grey. How can I clean this?
louis.jpg

louis2.jpg

I've seen that some of you use baby-wipes, but I am not sure if I dare to.. Please tell me what to dooo.
Oh and also, if baby-wipers are the answer, is it bad if they are those scented ones?

Edit:
can it be co2 from cars or something? There are so much cars and such everywhere here.
hmm

Last edited:
I have an opportunity to purchase a Azur Noe at a GREAT price. The only thing with it's condition is there is a water ring/stain on the bottom of the bag. Any ideas on if this is able to be removed and how? thanks!

Iv got 3 LV's (Delightfull GM,Speedy 30 and Carryall) and on each of them iv always used Johnsons babywipes to get little bits of dirt off :smile: . At the end of the day once dirt does get onto LV's thats it no matter what sort of product you put on no matter how many times you read ''How to clean LV's'' it will never go away but personally iv always thought once the handles go darker you dont really have to care as much with dirt and it separates the real from the fake and thats how youv always been able to tell if the bag is real or not. Iv also used on the Monogram part of my bags Woodpolish cleaner but with beeswax in it and it really does a good job protecting the bag and smells beautifull :love: , My mother has had her 2 LVs for the past 10 11 years and she's always used the stuff even on the handles (spray it on dry cloth 1st)

lvobsessed said:
Product: Mr Clean Magic Eraser
Uses: Cleaning up really dirty Vachetta leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Colored leathers
Sources: Any drugstore or supermarket, www.drugstore.com/search/...=404Search
Notes: Prepare Vachetta with Apple Garde conditioner, then use the Eraser, making sure to squeeze out excess water. Follow up with another treatment of conditioner once the leather is dry. Repeat conditioning treatment as necessary. It is normal for the sponge to “crumble apart” until it disappears completely.

Product: Wilsons Leather Spray
Uses: Conditioner- does not darken vachetta
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis pieces, as it will leave a film!
Sources: www.wilsonsleather.com/fa...cp=1855607
Notes: Spray a light mist for about 10 seconds, holding the aerosol can about 10 inches away from the purse. Wait about 30 minutes and do another final mist. Wipe excess spray off the canvas, Vernis body, and/or hardware. Let your bag dry unencumbered in a shaded area outdoors (or a well-ventilated area). (Full instructions at p074.ezboard.com/fauthent...=18.topic)

Product: Sunshine Polishing Cloths
Uses: Polishing brass hardware, zippers
NOT FOR USE ON: Non-metal surfaces
Sources: stores.ebay.com/Many-Hors...ayZ2QQtZkm
Notes: Use as directed.

Product: Brasso
Sources: Hardware stores, Target, acmehardware.com/product_...ku=3623626
Notes: Be careful when applying, as it is runny. Try to protect leather parts with paper and tape first.

Product: Apple Garde Water-Repellant Spray
Uses: Protects vachetta leather from water-spots and staining.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis body, canvas, and Epi pieces do not need it.
Sources: www.leatherstuff.com/shop...php?id=284
Notes: Spray a light mist for about 10 seconds, holding the aerosol can about 10 inches away from the purse. Wait about 30 minutes and do another final mist. Wipe excess spray off the canvas, Vernis body, and/or hardware. Let your bag dry unencumbered in a shaded area outdoors (or a well-ventilated area). (Full instructions at p074.ezboard.com/fauthent...=18.topic)

Product: Apple Leather Cleaner
Uses: Cleans and conditions older bags with established patina.
NOT FOR USE ON: NEW LEATHER!
Sources: www.leatherstuff.com/shop...php?id=267
Notes: Apply liberally with a clean rag to vachetta. Let dry and buff with another clean rag. Wait another hour or so and treat with Apple Garde.

Product: Tattersall Soap
Uses: Gentle cleaner/conditioner that can be used on vachetta
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis body, canvas, and Epi pieces
Sources: Saddle shops, doversaddlery.com/product...id=FROOGLE
www.paddocksaddlery.com/p...d=ErAHiIDv
Notes: Wipe leather clean with a terry cloth towel. The texture of the towel helps to remove some surface dirt. Tattersall comes with a natural sponge. Very lightly dampen the sponge and rub into the soap paste. Apply to the leather and then wipe with a dry towel. I usually use Carters baby wash cloths to polish off leather since they are VERY soft.

Product: Lexol Cleanser
Uses: Cleans heavier stains off Vachetta and Epi leathers.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis body
Sources: Auto supply stores, www.valleyvet.com/ct_deta...ccd=IFH003
Notes: Carefully apply and rub with terry cloth rag. Follow up with Lexol Conditioner.

Product: Lexol Conditioner
Uses: To condition vintage honeyed leather and Epi leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Light/new vachetta (causes permanent darkening)
Notes: Apply as needed

Product: VINYLEX (by Lexol)
Uses: Cleans and protects Vintage Monogram & Graffiti canvas. It leaves a bit of a shine, which disappears weeks later. However, this product is spectacular for vintage pieces that look a bit dry or tired and can be used on all LV canvas pieces, as it helps prevent scratching, resist cracking, and remain supple.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta Leather, Vernis body
Sources: Auto supply stores
Notes: Apply after cleaning with Lexol PH.

Product: Gonzo
Uses: Stain Remover; can be used on Damier, and Monogram.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta Leather, Vernis body. Use extreme caution on Epi
Sources: Linens n' Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, www.lnt.com/product/index...age=family
Notes: Carefully apply and rub with terry cloth rag or spot clean with a q-tip. Wipe off with a damp terry towel. Repeat carefully if necessary.

Product: Ronsonol (Petrol based lighter fluid)
Uses: Removes white marks (or other colors) and light surface soil off Damier/Mono canvas and Epi leather to remove superficial transfer marks
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta Leather. Use with extreme caution on Vernis.
Sources: Mart, WalMart, Walgreens or any tobacco store, www.filmart.com/cgi-bin/f...NSLF5.html
Notes: Use sparingly on a cotton ball. Wipe up excess with damp rag. Follow up with a dry rag.

Product: Denatured Alcohol
Uses: Remove ink stains as well as stains from rubbing up against a wall. Can also remove ink stains from Vachetteta
NOT FOR USE ON: Epi leather, Vernis body
Sources: Hardware stores, www.misterart.com/store/v...up_id=1542
Notes: Apply with cotton ball or swap and rub gently.

Product: Non-acetone nail polish remover
Uses: Remove s scuff stains from walls on Vernis bags.
NOT FOR USE ON: Canvas, Epi, or Vachetta leather
Sources: Any drugstore
Notes: Apply with cotton ball or swap and rub gently but firmly until stains lift. Finish up with a damp cloth. Wipe dry.

Product: InkAway
Uses: Removes ink stains from Alcantara interior
NOT FOR USE ON: Has not been tested on Vachetta leather, Vernis, or Epi
Sources: Craft Stores
Notes: Use with caution on cross grained leather. it will remove ink stains on the cross grain leather but it must be applied and removed quickly.

Product: Amodex
Uses: A very gentle ink remover that can be used to rub into cross-grain leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta leather
Sources: Amodex 1-877-866-1255 www.fahrneyspens.com/sort...ord=amodex .
Notes: Must be rinsed off or wiped off with damp rag.

Product: Glipstick Pen/Stain Remover For Leather
Uses: Removes pens/stains on most leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta leather, Vernis body
Sources: www.gliptone.com
Notes: Follow manufacturer’s directions

Product: Sanford “Magic Rub” Eraser
Uses: Removes surface marks on Vachetta, esp. Speedy handles
NOT FOR USE ON: Not yet tested on Vernis body, Damier, or Monogram
Sources: Office Max or Staples

Product: EraserStik
Uses: Can remove some ink marks off Vachetta.
NOT FOR USE ON: n/a
Notes: Use with care as it can lighten the spot, but it will remove the ink. It is more abrasive than the Magic Rub.

Brilliant! Must remember these!

U

Product: Mr Clean Magic Eraser
Uses: Cleaning up really dirty Vachetta leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Colored leathers
Sources: Any drugstore or supermarket, www.drugstore.com/search/...=404Search
Notes: Prepare Vachetta with Apple Garde conditioner, then use the Eraser, making sure to squeeze out excess water. Follow up with another treatment of conditioner once the leather is dry. Repeat conditioning treatment as necessary. It is normal for the sponge to “crumble apart” until it disappears completely.

Product: Wilsons Leather Spray
Uses: Conditioner- does not darken vachetta
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis pieces, as it will leave a film!
Sources: www.wilsonsleather.com/fa...cp=1855607

Product: Sunshine Polishing Cloths
Sources: stores.ebay.com/Many-Hors...ayZ2QQtZkm
Notes: Use as directed.

Product: Brasso
Sources: Hardware stores, Target, acmehardware.com/product_...ku=3623626
Notes: Be careful when applying, as it is runny. Try to protect leather parts with paper and tape first.

Product: Apple Garde Water-Repellant Spray
Uses: Protects vachetta leather from water-spots and staining.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis body, canvas, and Epi pieces do not need it.
Sources: www.leatherstuff.com/shop...php?id=284

Product: Apple Leather Cleaner
Uses: Cleans and conditions older bags with established patina.
NOT FOR USE ON: NEW LEATHER!
Sources: www.leatherstuff.com/shop...php?id=267
Notes: Apply liberally with a clean rag to vachetta. Let dry and buff with another clean rag. Wait another hour or so and treat with Apple Garde.

Product: Tattersall Soap
Uses: Gentle cleaner/conditioner that can be used on vachetta
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis body, canvas, and Epi pieces
Sources: Saddle shops, doversaddlery.com/product...id=FROOGLE
www.paddocksaddlery.com/p...d=ErAHiIDv
Notes: Wipe leather clean with a terry cloth towel. The texture of the towel helps to remove some surface dirt. Tattersall comes with a natural sponge. Very lightly dampen the sponge and rub into the soap paste. Apply to the leather and then wipe with a dry towel. I usually use Carters baby wash cloths to polish off leather since they are VERY soft.

Product: Lexol Cleanser
Uses: Cleans heavier stains off Vachetta and Epi leathers.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis body
Notes: Carefully apply and rub with terry cloth rag. Follow up with Lexol Conditioner.

Product: Lexol Conditioner
Uses: To condition vintage honeyed leather and Epi leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Light/new vachetta (causes permanent darkening)
Notes: Apply as needed

Product: VINYLEX (by Lexol)
Uses: Cleans and protects Vintage Monogram & Graffiti canvas. It leaves a bit of a shine, which disappears weeks later. However, this product is spectacular for vintage pieces that look a bit dry or tired and can be used on all LV canvas pieces, as it helps prevent scratching, resist cracking, and remain supple.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta Leather, Vernis body
Sources: Auto supply stores
Notes: Apply after cleaning with Lexol PH.

Product: Gonzo
Uses: Stain Remover; can be used on Damier, and Monogram.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta Leather, Vernis body. Use extreme caution on Epi
Sources: Linens n' Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, www.lnt.com/product/index...age=family
Notes: Carefully apply and rub with terry cloth rag or spot clean with a q-tip. Wipe off with a damp terry towel. Repeat carefully if necessary.

Product: Ronsonol (Petrol based lighter fluid)
Uses: Removes white marks (or other colors) and light surface soil off Damier/Mono canvas and Epi leather to remove superficial transfer marks
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta Leather. Use with extreme caution on Vernis.
Sources: Mart, WalMart, Walgreens or any tobacco store, www.filmart.com/cgi-bin/f...NSLF5.html
Notes: Use sparingly on a cotton ball. Wipe up excess with damp rag. Follow up with a dry rag.

Product: Denatured Alcohol
Uses: Remove ink stains as well as stains from rubbing up against a wall. Can also remove ink stains from Vachetteta
NOT FOR USE ON: Epi leather, Vernis body
Sources: Hardware stores, www.misterart.com/store/v...up_id=1542
Notes: Apply with cotton ball or swap and rub gently.

Product: Non-acetone nail polish remover
Uses: Remove s scuff stains from walls on Vernis bags.
NOT FOR USE ON: Canvas, Epi, or Vachetta leather
Sources: Any drugstore
Notes: Apply with cotton ball or swap and rub gently but firmly until stains lift. Finish up with a damp cloth. Wipe dry.

Product: InkAway
Uses: Removes ink stains from Alcantara interior
NOT FOR USE ON: Has not been tested on Vachetta leather, Vernis, or Epi
Sources: Craft Stores
Notes: Use with caution on cross grained leather. it will remove ink stains on the cross grain leather but it must be applied and removed quickly.

Product: Amodex
Uses: A very gentle ink remover that can be used to rub into cross-grain leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta leather
Sources: Amodex 1-877-866-1255 www.fahrneyspens.com/sort...ord=amodex .
Notes: Must be rinsed off or wiped off with damp rag.

Product: Glipstick Pen/Stain Remover For Leather
Uses: Removes pens/stains on most leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta leather, Vernis body
Sources: www.gliptone.com

Product: Sanford “Magic Rub” Eraser
Uses: Removes surface marks on Vachetta, esp. Speedy handles
NOT FOR USE ON: Not yet tested on Vernis body, Damier, or Monogram

Product: EraserStik
Uses: Can remove some ink marks off Vachetta.
NOT FOR USE ON: n/a
Notes: Use with care as it can lighten the spot, but it will remove the ink. It is more abrasive than the Magic Rub.
Thank you for the helpful info:smile:

I am new to this site, so this maybe be a dumb question. Is there a special cleaner to clean the handles of the Louis Vuitton Monogram Bags? I have 2 that are about 2-3 years old and I noticed the handles are getting pretty narly. Any suggestions?
Hi! I've used a product called Lovin' my bags. They have a cleaning process specifically for LV leather (not the coated canvas!) I've not used it a new bag; but it's great on my Artsy handle. It's a three step process which is cleaning, protecting and finally conditioning. It takes some time, but really worth it! If you do order Lovin' My Bag, add the extra sponges and microfiber cloths to your order. The kit doesn't come with enough to last as long as the product will. good luck!

Reactions: Mrs_A75
Hello I'm new here but I think some of you may know me already from other social media pages as I make reloved items from old damaged lv bags.
Anyway I'm here for some help to get an oily grease substance from the straps of a keepall 50 please.
At the moment I am letting baking powder set on them to see if that does anything.
The makrs aren't all over the straps, just certain areas.
Thank youinbound2499463050432779762.jpg

I just want to ask if just using damn cloth to wipe the vachetta is fine? I have NO desire to use magic eraser, iffy about using apple guard, anything That could potentially ruin the vachetta.
What happen if the vachetta dries and cracks? I should go see LV what they recommend.

Hello!

I have just purchased a pre-loved Pallas Shoulder Bag Full black. It has the black leather sides and handles and coated canvas on the front and back.

What would be the best way to give it a little clean up so I can... you know " get the old owner out of it" lol. How do I clean those leather sides and handles and what is the best thing to clean the coated canvas? I would also like to ensure against any future cracking as I have seen some bags crack and I don't know why or what causes it.

The black leather sides do have some very minor scuffing on the bottom corners, anything I can do for that?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Hello!

I have just purchased a pre-loved Pallas Shoulder Bag Full black. It has the black leather sides and handles and coated canvas on the front and back.

What would be the best way to give it a little clean up so I can... you know " get the old owner out of it" lol. How do I clean those leather sides and handles and what is the best thing to clean the coated canvas? I would also like to ensure against any future cracking as I have seen some bags crack and I don't know why or what causes it.

The black leather sides do have some very minor scuffing on the bottom corners, anything I can do for that?

Thanks so much for any help!!

I always use fragrance and alcohol-free baby wipes to clean the canvas and I've never had any issues. I would use those on treated leather too, but if you would prefer you can also buy leather cleaning wipes. I've used Lord Sheraton leather wipes with great success on other leather goods.

If there is any kind of odour inside the bag, I'd recommend using some dryer sheets and some Shake 'n' Vac powder. Leave them in for a day or two and then tip it out and use a wipe on the interior lining. Always worked a treat for me!