Clapton backpack?? Montaigne bb?? Help pls!

Pebli

Aug 17, 2014
I'm ready to buy my next bag which I always thought would be the Montaigne bb in mono but now the clapton backpack has caught my eye! Argh!

I've never owned a backback before (besides school lol) and never thought I'd go for one so im a little worried about paying that much on such a different style (to me) that may not suit. Also, I'm only 5foot so don't want to look like a little kid!

With that said, the fact I don't have any other bags like this is drawing me in (they're all crossbodies or top handle). We are travelling to Italy at the end of the year so think it could be handy, and being a mum to a toddler, being truly hands free would be fab.

If I could have both I would but I can only choose one for now. I've loved the Montaigne for so long but do I really need another crossbody?! Which would you go for? Was anyone else on the fence about a backpack and then it worked out?

I'm ready to buy my next bag which I always thought would be the Montaigne bb in mono but now the clapton backpack has caught my eye! Argh!

I've never owned a backback before (besides school lol) and never thought I'd go for one so im a little worried about paying that much on such a different style (to me) that may not suit. Also, I'm only 5foot so don't want to look like a little kid!

With that said, the fact I don't have any other bags like this is drawing me in (they're all crossbodies or top handle). We are travelling to Italy at the end of the year so think it could be handy, and being a mum to a toddler, being truly hands free would be fab.

If I could have both I would but I can only choose one for now. I've loved the Montaigne for so long but do I really need another crossbody?! Which would you go for? Was anyone else on the fence about a backpack and then it worked out?
I would avoid italy with a backpack for obvious reasons :P

I wouldn't pick a backpack anyway, unless your toddler is a girl and you would give it to her in time xD

I have the Clapton backpack and think it's a very dressy backpack. I don't think it's childish or anything (especially compared to the PSM, which is not for me). What I like is that you can wear it without the long strap and it can carry like a beautiful handheld. With other backpacks, they're so obviously backpacks that it looks a little ridiculous when used as a hand held bag.

I do wear my Clapton backpack crossbody sometimes.

Reactions: miss_chiff
I have the Clapton Backpack and I'm a huge fan of it! You can wear it on your back, without straps handheld, with one strap on your side or crossbody, like the Bumbag on your front (the cooler way, not on your hips), it's incredible versatile and I would take it on a trip with me for the reasons I mentioned - the different ways to carry. Once I carried it like the Chanel Gabrielle with 2 straps in different lengths. If you're interested, I've made a video:

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Hmmm OK so I won't use it for travel then... (we are also considering Hawaii though which I feel would be a bit safer)

Is it still a good daily bag?

I think clapton would be the first to fall out of fashion when compared to montaigne bb. Backpacks have their moments, but satchels are always a staple. Whether traveling or not, I just don't like backpacks. They're easy to pick or slice open without you knowing. It doesn't matter how safe an area is. If you aren't aware of your surroundings, you can make a good target.

There are rumors of all montaignes being discontinued too. I like montaigne but I have no problem getting it secondhand, so it's ok for me if I miss out on it new.

I think clapton would be the first to fall out of fashion when compared to montaigne bb. Backpacks have their moments, but satchels are always a staple. Whether traveling or not, I just don't like backpacks. They're easy to pick or slice open without you knowing. It doesn't matter how safe an area is. If you aren't aware of your surroundings, you can make a good target.

There are rumors of all montaignes being discontinued too. I like montaigne but I have no problem getting it secondhand, so it's ok for me if I miss out on it new.
Yes thats the other thing, I don't usually go for trends and like classic styles that will stand the test of time. I did wonder if backpacks are just having a very long moment but then will not be a thing anymore in the future!

Oh my gosh this is the first I've heard of such rumours?!?! Is it a well known rumour that SAs have commented on?

Yes thats the other thing, I don't usually go for trends and like classic styles that will stand the test of time. I did wonder if backpacks are just having a very long moment but then will not be a thing anymore in the future!

Oh my gosh this is the first I've heard of such rumours?!?! Is it a well known rumour that SAs have commented on?
It's going around the montaigne clubhouse. When I talked to my sa though, she said montaigne has been out for a long time now. She wouldn't be surprised if it does get pulled soon because of that. She also said with all the new bags lv is releasing too, it makes sense to let go of older styles.

She further explained to me that sometimes they get advanced notice, and other times, they receive two bags, lets say to replenish their stock, and only then are they told that's the last batch of the items because they're now discontinued.

If your intention is to get a travelling, running errands type of bag, I think Clapton can fit more, very versatile, can be carried in many ways although I prefer it as a backpack, instantly makes an otherwise matronly outfit younger and trendier. If you need to carry your toddler, backpacks gives you better support on your shoulder and back. If you have many crossbody bags, you won’t regret a backpack, backpacks don’t go out of style as a travelling bag, sling to the front of body for extra security. I like the flap closure, better than zip, not so easy to pickpocket and deeper inside so is harder for hands to reach. Cross bodies with a zip top are easy target. Pickpockets just bumped into you and unzip your bag. Happens to me before even when I sling bag in front of body. I recently purchased a backpack (not LV) and couldn’t be happier.

Last edited: