Christmas Trees & Decorations-- when is it time? & pics!

Mar 26, 2007
Okay, so it's after Thanksgiving. The commercialization of Christmas is evident by the Christmas music everywhere, Christmas sales, Christmas everything. Which sucks, but, at the same time, I love this time of year. I like to remember the reason for the season, though I'm more spiritual than religious. My favorite part of the year is putting up my lovely burgundy, silver and gold themed tree (bought everything for under $50 in my college days and still use it! LOL). I sit around listening to mannheim steamroller and unwrapping ornaments and such. I get one new ornament a year, so I have lots of silver, burgundy and gold balls, but only 5 or 6 ornaments since i only buy one real one a year :smile:

So the question is, when do you put up your tree? Is it too early to do it now?

What other decorations do you put out?

Let's see some pics, too!

TIA and hopefully we'll have fun with this thread! :flowers:

We put up our Christmas tree Thanksgiving night. I am still not finished decorating the house--I LOVE CHRISTMAS and go crazy with decorating. Yep- I am one of those people that put out the huge 8 ft decorations outside. Weather is not that great so hubby will be putting the lights and stuff hopefully tomorrow evening,

my tree went up on thanksgiving. but that's because we're going home for christmas and I wanted enough time with our tree. haha. ours is fake too and it's fun watching our kitties play in/with it.

catxmas11.jpg

catxmas12.jpg

catxmas01.jpg

here are a few pics of my cats in the tree, they think they make the best ornaments
mollytree1.jpg

catxmas04.jpg

catxmas05.jpg

catxmas07.jpg

catxmas10.jpg

OMG the cats in the tree is sooo funny/cute!

I need to buy a tree, so mine isnt up yet. I will probably buy one and put it up next week!
But, I think a little after Thanksgiving is the norm, maybe a little later for those who like real trees.

Mine's been up 2 weeks ago! :biggrin: In some parts of the world, you see Christmas decos up when the "BER" months arrive. yup! It's a biggie in the Philippines! You'll hear xmas songs as early as September!

In the UK it's traditional to put the tree up 12 days before and take it down 12 days after. However, you do start to see the decorations going up just as we get into December. It was the turning on of the lights in most towns and cities this weekend (shopping malls and high streets etc).

OMG, I want to put up my treeeeeee!!!!! I'm thinking that we'll do it after the 6th of December...In Germany most people put theirs up on Christmas Eve, so we get funny looks if we put ours up too early! If I had a fake tree, it would have probably been up the day after Thanksgiving (we celebrate since I lived in the US most of my life!) :biggrin:

I am putting mine up as we speak, Stella! It's fake :yes: I have this thing where I think it's so sad that a beautiful tree that worked so hard for years to grow, gets chopped down, stuck in someone's room and discarded-- though real trees are so much prettier than fake, I can see the appeal!

Am I the only one whose SO doesn't get into the whole decorating for Christmas thing?

Well, what I don't like about this period is that people get mad... it seems that the world is finishing, so angry cars, angry people inside other cars, inside shops and malls...everybody in a hurry, looking for the perfect gift.

I prefer another Christmas: part of it, is the Xmas tree. Usually we decorate our real one (with roots: each year we use the same tree) around the 8th of december and I'm always scared it would die because inside the house it's so hot! But I love the smell, the lights (white)...I looooove to stay between my tree and the fireplace reading a book and having a cup of tea!!!!
I also love the fact there are so many Xmas dinners and parties with friends... from the 13-15 of december till the 23. A way to see friends you never have the time to see.

I'll post pics after the 8 of december, then!
Love the cats&tree pics!!!

Wow Razorback, great tree and so much orange and brown!
Someone in your household is going to have a VERY merry christmas!

We buy a real tree, so we'll probably put it up next week, however I've pulled out the decorations and can't wait to get started .