Chinese Shar-Pei, Anyone?

Hi there in reply to your question i have a few things to ad. all breeds have there own problems gentetically as well as the shar-pei but not all shar-pei will have anything wrong with them and the same with all other breeds out there i have owned shar-pei for 30yrs and i am also a breeder of the shar-pei we have never had allergies in our pei but again that doesnt mean never could happen. the only issue we have ever had and in only one of our pei's was really bad entropia but again as my vet says all purbred dogs have there own issues not just the pei. also shar-pei are definatly not an outside dog not many dogs actually are and all dogs need shelter and companionship. keep in mind that its not a good idea too buy a dog for a child but for the whole family. as children can quickly loose intrest in any pet and its usually the adults that end up taking care of the said animal so unless you are buying the dog for yourself as well it probally isnt a good idea. also researching a good breeder one who stands by the breed and there pups and will replace a pup if anything happens (genetically) is a good idea. dogs are expensive and take alot of care.

Hi I'd also like to ad as someone else says all shar-pei have allergies that is completly wrong and im not saying that to start an argument and i may be a breeder and am not saying this too sell a puppy. i tell every perspective owners all the things shar-pei may have (gentetically ect) but not not all shar-pei are sick, not all shar-pei have allergies if someone tells you this then they arent telling you the truth . some shar-pei have allergies but too say all do is like saying everyone has asthma. which isnt true. i have been around and owned shar-pei for 30 yrs and i have only owned one that actually had allergies (minor allergy to corn, which most dogs of any breed are) i worked at the vets,speacialy pet food stores and the spca and have seen allergies in almost every breed but not every one of that breed has allergies. so to say pei do is wrong. yes shar-pei do require there folds to be cleaned as the have wrinkles and there ear canals are very tiny so they need to be cleaned alot to make sure they dont get yeast infections ect. also not all shar-pei are aggressive as i won several and the run and lick everyone they see. but my breeder friend who owns pei has a few that like only them. but thats all breeds again, im not trying to talk you into this perticual breed as i think for your first pet a less high maintance dog or cat even would be best. but i dont like when people try to make it sound as if it is only pei that have breed issues as that is completly wrong.