Travel China! What to wear? What to bring?!

jp23

jeska2333
O.G.
Jan 6, 2012
Hello everyone! I have a trip to china coming up and I'll be there in December and I'm super excited! The only issue is I'm from Southern California where it hardly ever gets colder than 70 degrees! Apparently it's below freezing in china during the winter lol so I have nothing to wear. I bought a wool and fur jacket a long time ago that my boyfriend said would work but as far as shoes and clothing go I have no idea what to wear or bring! Should I buy things here or wait to buy things there because of the exchange rate! And any advice would be appreciated! :smile:

Try this link= http://www.chinahighlights.com/weather/december.htm

The weather will vary, depending on region you visit. Where it's more damp, you'll feel colder.

I buy vital clothes before trips. Outdoors & finding hotel @ arrival, cold & I aren't best friends.
Might wait to buy scarf/hat, but not coat/shoes. I consider shoes my most important travel item & plan these carefully for destination.

Layers work well. Modern technology offers light clothing choices, which have tremendous warmth--easy to add & subtract for comfort.
I buy more layers, as necessary, during trip--which is almost always.

It's nice to have a few trinkets from home to exchange--US coins, gum, postcards, etc. Great for making new friends.

Enjoy this great opportunity!

If your going to northern cities like Beijing, Xi'an or Nanjing you will need to wear a coat as the temperatures will be in the 30s to 50s. If you will be in a southern city like Shenzhen or travelling to Hong Kong where its warmer layers such as a a long sleeved shirt and a cardigan or blazer will suffice. Also be aware that the clothing and shoes available on the mainland are small in size. For example, finding a size 9 or 10 in shoes will be difficult as will finding clothing in sizes larger than around a size 8 or 10.

unless you're a sample size 2 or 4 and things fit you perfectly off the rack (or you don't care how it fits/looks) I suggest you buy your clothes at home.

as another poster said, the size range in Asia tend to run small or it did the last time I went clothes shopping there. I was less than 100lbs, less than 10% body fat - so not fat at all but athletic - I was a size medium, whereas in the US, I had a hard time finding clothes that were small enough.

China is a big place, depends when you are going.

When I went and traveled all over I packed for every occasion and pretty much used all my outfits. If you are going more North and into the mountains then pack jeans, a good coat and stuff you can layer. In fact, I'd advise just taking a normal wardrobe that you can layer. China can be really funny with massive varying temperatures.

Don't buy clothes out there unless you are teeny tiny in height and dress size. I attempted to go shopping there (was massively disappointed in the shops) and I was a size 10 UK, size 6 US and nothing would fit because they said I was 'fat size':lol:

My no. 1 tip. Take good walking shoes!

Yes so I'm a size 6-8 US with a large chest so I guess I won't be shopping there lol! I recently invested in a good winter coat but am still looking for boots! We will be in Beijing for most of the trip but will also be in harbin for the ice festival a couple of days :Ob

Yes so I'm a size 6-8 US with a large chest so I guess I won't be shopping there lol! I recently invested in a good winter coat but am still looking for boots! We will be in Beijing for most of the trip but will also be in harbin for the ice festival a couple of days :Ob

Oh Harbin! I am so jealous! I've always wanted to see that ice festival.

I've been to Beijing twice - once for a month and my main recommendation is that your boots be comfortable but not too expensive. Whatever you wear on your feet will get filthy if you're walking around the city much.

Also, if you'll be around town (not just staying in 5 star hotels) you may need to use traditional toilets. So nothing so long that it might accidentally drape in there while you're doing your business. Keep track of your hat and gloves in there, too. :smile:

I've never been there in the winter but locals told me that it is miserably cold and uncomfortable so bundle up!