Child care- Help!! :-]]

One of my friends recently put her 14 month old son in childcare... she was looking mostly for at home daycare because it's slightly cheaper. She interviewed several people, and settled on the one she felt most comfortable with. I can't remember the exact figure, but it was about $400 a month, I believe.

One of my cousins is lucky-- he and his gf were able to find a family friend (of his parents) that would watch their baby. The lady was retired, but her husband is still working, so she was home all day anyway... she only charged about $300 per month for 5 days a week (from 9 am till 4 pm or so when one of the baby's grandparents can pick up him)... I'm lucky that we have a lot of family friends/relatives around us. It's pretty easy to find childcare and we are always most comfortable having people we know well watching the children. I don't have kids yet, and I don't think I'll have to worry about childcare when the time comes.

And I'm sure it varies depending on where you live, of course.

When my oldest child was in childcare it was $850 a month at a private school and that was definately reasonable for this area. For each additional child they typically give you a discount of usually 20%. Since I have had my second child I haven't needed care but it's probably gone up since then!?!

Wow,then I guess child care here is bargain! I thought so!! :yes: Here take my daughter on occasion, like when I need to get my hair or nails done, to a Day Care center they charge 14 dlls. a day or 70 dlls. a week! She's 2 so there's no way she going to sit still. I am sure there are more expensive places if I look but since I know and trust the owner that's where I take my DD.

Hi sorry I cannot help here as I live in Singapore . But this strikes a chord... many Singaporean mothers work full time and there are generally 3 options:
1. professional childcare (private ones are up to USD800 excluding a small govt subsidy to working mothers) a month
2. leave their kids to domestic maids ( who are employed at USD250-300 a mth , usually from INdonesian or Phillippines)
or 3. leave the kids in the care of family members like grandparents, aunties

There have been many cases of domestic maids abusing the kids (esplly those who cannot speak yet) as they are poorly trained and also expected to be the all around general worker (cook, cleaner, nanny, tutor) so they take their frustrations out on the children. Some of my friends are so trusting they leave their newborn babies with their maids (unsupervised) and the maids handle baths/ diaper changes etc. These friends tell me that these are chores.
I know that I am lucky I have my mother look after my son.. but if that should not be possible in future, I'll go with a professsional (but not public ones as there are horror stories too) or just DIY as I have heard too many horror stories about these maids. I prefer to employ them to do only domestic chores and to cook. If you check around with working mothers here, my family stands out in a world where you see the maids carrying/slinging the babies while the parents are walking ahead hand in hand. Some of my friends claim that the kids are closer to the maids than the mothers and form separation anxiety when the mother takes over after work!
My maids do not touch the children as we believe all the "chores" like diaper changes, baths are perfect times to bond .. it does get to be a drudgery at times when you are totally overwhelmed by all his needs while having to balance conference calls/travel and work but his smiles and laughter makes it all worthwhile!

I'll tell you what worked for my daughter who lived far from us., her and her husband put an ad in the cafeteria of a adults only community condo asking to adopt a grandmother for their kids., and offering a cash salary to the right person., several wonderful ladies applied, once they felt one of the ladies was right for them, they hired her., to come to their house on a regular basis, do laundry, watch the kids, etc., .......I was elated to meet her on a trip since I could not be with my out of state grandkids., now, 10-12 years later, my grandkids are really the ones that watch over their adopted grandma., she took care of them for a long time, even on trips, by herself, and now, they are actually watching over her, her salary is still in place since now she has become a vvery important member of the family and the kids literally are her babysitters now, making sure she is okay, etc., if you have an adult or senior condo develoipment near ytou, try it, you may find yourself a wonderful senior grandma who would love to watch over your kids.

^^ True. I scoped my neighbours carefully. I had a neighbour who was a widow in her 60s. Her son had died in an accident and her daughter was remarried; so her little grandson was living with her. I spent some time seeing how she interacted with the grandson and she was a very loving and kindly grandmother. So I asked her if she would be willing to babysit my son on the days that I had to go to school in the summer etc as she had a pretty flexible schedule.

This arrangement worked out fine for us, and we ended up helping each other in a lot more than babysitting - i.e. SO would take her grandson and my son out to play soccer and do 'guy things' and so that little boy got some interaction with an adult male (his grandmother was awfully overprotective - a plus when you are leaving a kid with this person!)...I think of her with great affection because when I got to her place to pick up my son she'd go "You're tired, you're hungry! You cannot go home and cook, you are tired! Eat! Eat!" and she'd feed ME all these soups and stews and good food!

General childcare at a center run by the county was $600-800 per month. This was for care 7am-5pm with all meals provided, and in a good learning environment. In CT we have something called 211 (like 411) a number you dial and obtain information about what are avialable daycares or childcare options, fees and other info.

Hi! I currently nanny for ONE child & there is a car just for that use. I work 40 hours a week (exactly) & I take home exactly $500 a week!

So in my situation $2,000 a month for 1 kid!

Current childcare costs for our daughter, who is currently two and half years old amount to approximately $2,200 per month. When our daughter was younger, she was cared for by a full-time, live-out nanny who came to our house at 7 a.m. and left at 6 p.m. Since December 2006, a couple of months after turning two years old, our daughter spends her mornings (between 8:30 a.m. and 12 p.m.) at Discovery Isle and her afternoons (between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m.) at home with the same nanny who has taken care of our daughter since she was two months old.

We wanted individualized attention for our daughter when she was younger and contacted several nanny agencies in town before she was born. We ended up using Loving Nannies of San Diego which charged $1,000 back in 2004. Loving Nannies conducts a background check (SS#, crim, DMV) and interviews each nanny before the nanny is referred to a family. Loving Nannies forwarded to us the applications of nannies who seemed to fit our needs and we ended up interviewing eight individuals. During the interview, I asked the nannies basic questions regarding how they would interact with a child at various ages, their prior work experience, how they would deal with emergencies or difficult situations, how they would discipline or teach a child, etc. I also tried to learn about the nanny as a person by asking her about her interests, etc. Having the nanny was great because we did not have to worry about scrambling to get our daughter packed for daycare and the nanny was able to take our daughter to the doctor's office on when our daughter fell ill. The nanny maintained our daughter's room and play areas, did laundry, cleaned/sterilized her bottles, prepared meals for our daughter as she started solids, and would drive our daughter to classes (baby sign language, baby gymnastics, etc.) once or twice a week. We had two logs that the nanny completed each day. One log noted when and what our daughter ate, when her diaper was changed, and when there was a bowel movement. The other log noted what activities were engaged in (tummy time, singing to baby, stroller walk, class, nap time, etc.). When our daughter was younger and slept a lot, the nanny would prepare dinner for us. The situation was great but we had to scramble when the nanny got sick was took vacation or personal days off. We of course, had concerns in the beginning about how reliable and trustworthy our nanny would be but we have been very fortunate and have not had to change nannies at all.

When our nanny became pregnant, we started our daughter in daycare at Discovery Isle. My husband and I visited three daycare centers close to our house and met with the providers. I then asked the nanny to visit and give her opinions on the daycares we were considering. We decided to go with Discovery Isle because it was structured, because they have a camera that would permit us to check in on our daughter's room via our office computers, and because our nanny told us that the childcare providers there were the warmest and most attentive. Before our nanny gave birth, we had our nanny take our daughter to the daycare a few days a week for a couple of hours to get our daughter acclimated to the new environment. Our daughter went through a week long honeymoon period where she really liked the novelty of the daycare setting. However, she cried every day for the next three weeks when she had to go to daycare while the nanny was on her maternity leave. Now, our daughter loves Discovery Isle and the various activities she does there (art projects, story times, outdoor jungle gym, etc.). I like the fact that she is learning to interact with other children. She is exposed to activities and people that she would not be if she were at home with the nanny. Seeing how other toddlers conduct themselves has helped (with her pacifier use, toilet training). A big downside is that our daughter has been sick quite frequently since starting at Discovery Isle five months ago.
Even though our daughter only attends daycare between 8:30 a.m. and 12 p.m., we are paying about $975 per month, plus an additional $60 per month for lunch, for full time care at Discovery Isle (6 a.m. to 6 p.m.). This is so that we have a "back-up" when the nanny is sick or on vacation and cannot pick our daughter up at 12 p.m. We allow our nanny to bring her new baby to our house with her and now pay the nanny $8.50 per hour on the reasoning that the situation is comparable to a nanny share situation. Our nanny is compensated for mileage, gets two weeks paid time off, and is paid $10.00 per hour for any additional time she works beyond her 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. hours (i.e. when we need her to work a full day because our daughter cannot attend daycare due to illness). So far, this has worked out to be approximately $275 per week part-time and roughly $500 per week full-time. Each Christmas for the past two years, we have given her a bonus equivalent to two weeks salary along with a personal gift from our daughter such as a piece of jewelry.

Sorry this is so longwinded but hopefully this information is of assistance.

I have 5 children 7 & under, and am pregnant with # 6. When the youngest was born there were 5 under 5. We have tried everything from pre-school to college educated nannies to loving hispanic ladies.
The good thing about SoCal is that everyone wants to live here, and there is an abundance of retirees, college students, actresses and housekeepers.
What do you want? Live-in is the cheapest and most reliable. You know their habits and punctuality isn't an issue. Do you want English? For housekeepers, I only hire non-English speakers. My kids are all bilingual as a result. I also prefer the oldest child or a woman who has had, and raised many of her own children. My main housekeeper has 5 children and her oldest daughter works for us too.
Starting in LA is $60 per day for no English.
Nannies are $15 per hour to $200,000....remember this is LaLaLand! Many people will pay anything not to raise their own children. However, I can tell you horror stories I have heard from nannies who have left those jobs.
Good Luck. I hope this was helpful.

If you're only going to be in class for a few hours a day, look into your University and see if they have an on-site child care center. The University I went to in the US had a child center on campus that was relatively cheap for the students, as it was staffed by trained and accredited Early Education majors. At the center the kids were fed meals and had a big playground with lots of toys to play on. The average fee was around $200 a month, give or take a bit depending on the hours that the child was in there.

You could also look into getting a babysitter, but you may have some troubles finding a HSer or a college student since they're usually in class at the times when you'll be gone. If you want a nanny then you may be giving out $15-20 / hour, depending on where you live!

$520 a month for a almost 3 yr old, she's not in a daycare center. She is in a home daycare that belongs to a woman I used to go to the same church with. We've been paying this amount to her since the little one started at 14 months.