Chic ways to wear Birkenstocks

Here's a question for you Birki lovers. Had toe surgery and can't wear anything except my Birki's. For the time being I am unable to get my foot comfortably into any other shoe. <sob!> We've been invited to a very fancy wedding with dancing. I spotted a pair of white Birki's online: http://www.zappos.com/p/birkenstock-arizona-white-birko-florr/product/8265050/color/463604
Do you think these would be o.k. to wear to a wedding? I'm planning to wear a long silk skirt with a light pastel tropical print and a silk blouse or jacket. I have white lacey socks I thought I might wear to cover up the blasted toe. Would this work, or would I look like a total geek? Hate the idea of spending $100 for shoes for one night, but it doesn't look like I have much choice unless I want to stay seated all night and be hobbling around. And anyway who really notices what footwear other guests are wearing at a wedding?

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me in this thread. :smile: I recently bought some silver Gizehs but the front large strap doesn't lie flat on my feet, it twists a tiny bit. Is this normal or a bad fit, or do I need to size up in the shoe?

Here's a question for you Birki lovers. Had toe surgery and can't wear anything except my Birki's. For the time being I am unable to get my foot comfortably into any other shoe. <sob!> We've been invited to a very fancy wedding with dancing. I spotted a pair of white Birki's online: http://www.zappos.com/p/birkenstock-arizona-white-birko-florr/product/8265050/color/463604
Do you think these would be o.k. to wear to a wedding? I'm planning to wear a long silk skirt with a light pastel tropical print and a silk blouse or jacket. I have white lacey socks I thought I might wear to cover up the blasted toe. Would this work, or would I look like a total geek? Hate the idea of spending $100 for shoes for one night, but it doesn't look like I have much choice unless I want to stay seated all night and be hobbling around. And anyway who really notices what footwear other guests are wearing at a wedding?
I really love the combination of Birkenstocks with silk clothing like slip dresses, skirts and blouses. I am sure you will look fantastic.
To be honest, I would not put on lacey socks though...
I wish you a fast recovery!:heart:

I really love the combination of Birkenstocks with silk clothing like slip dresses, skirts and blouses. I am sure you will look fantastic.
To be honest, I would not put on lacey socks though...
I wish you a fast recovery!:heart:

Thank you so much, Daneela! I will wear a pair of Birki's with the confidence of being stylish!

I don't like the idea of lace socks either, but the toe is gnarly and needs to be protected. Band-Aid City with no advantage of polish or pedicure. So I think that's the sensible option.

Have you ever seen the Birkenstock Zurich? http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Birkenstock/Zurich.cfm/prod5.AJ078
It looks like it might offer more toe coverage than other styles, although it is a bit clunky looking.

Again, thank you for the help! :heart:

I went through the same problem for a wedding the end of last summer. I have the same Birkenstocks you found in white - but mine are silver. I wore those the night before - rehearsal dinner - running around all day etc. Everyone commented how cute - and how comfy for the wedding.... they weren't meant for the wedding, however, I did throw them in my bag incase I needed them for the wedding. Just a thought - but silver does seem to dress them up - and since then, I've worn them a lot - kind of a funky look with leggings or jeans.
What I actually bought for the wedding were flat sandals from Nordstrom - sparkley jewels on the straps - inexpensive, but comfortable. Really simple, with straps that didn't interfere with toes. Look on the Nordstrom website - in the search box put "womens flat silver sandals".... lots of options! And you are so right... an hour into the wedding, most were barefoot and dancing - and few notice what other guests are wearing.

I went through the same problem for a wedding the end of last summer. I have the same Birkenstocks you found in white - but mine are silver. I wore those the night before - rehearsal dinner - running around all day etc. Everyone commented how cute - and how comfy for the wedding.... they weren't meant for the wedding, however, I did throw them in my bag incase I needed them for the wedding. Just a thought - but silver does seem to dress them up - and since then, I've worn them a lot - kind of a funky look with leggings or jeans.
What I actually bought for the wedding were flat sandals from Nordstrom - sparkley jewels on the straps - inexpensive, but comfortable. Really simple, with straps that didn't interfere with toes. Look on the Nordstrom website - in the search box put "womens flat silver sandals".... lots of options! And you are so right... an hour into the wedding, most were barefoot and dancing - and few notice what other guests are wearing.

I love the silver idea! Did you find that the silver Birkenstocks wore well? Did the silver finish last? I tried some on today at the shoe store and thought they were gorgeous. :love: But for a church wedding and fancy reception I was hesitant.

You're right that Nordstrom's web site does have lots of great little silver sandals! I had no idea. I may buy a pair in the future. I have a number of open-toed sandals but alas all inflict pain on my bum toe at the moment. Can't figure out why. Birkis are the only thing I can wear without eventually hobbling around grimacing. In fact in Birkis I just want to go and go.

So today at the Birki store I eventually settled on (drum roll) a pair of Arizona's in tobacco oiled leather. See photo below with my skirt.

The clerk convinced me that the white pair was much too bright and would be a fashion faux pas in the making. Especially with the socks. I liked the Zurich style but they didn't look as nice as they did online. Plus they weren't quite as comfortable as the Arizona. The tobacco color is one I can wear into the fall, plus it will hide dirt better than the white. And best of all I had a coupon for the store as a frequent shoe buyer :P that whacked the price down about 40 percent. Really happy!

Thanks all for your kind words and advice! My feet thank you too!

001.jpg

Thank you so much, Daneela! I will wear a pair of Birki's with the confidence of being stylish!

I don't like the idea of lace socks either, but the toe is gnarly and needs to be protected. Band-Aid City with no advantage of polish or pedicure. So I think that's the sensible option.

Have you ever seen the Birkenstock Zurich? http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Birkenstock/Zurich.cfm/prod5.AJ078
It looks like it might offer more toe coverage than other styles, although it is a bit clunky looking.

Again, thank you for the help! :heart:
I have not seen in my area, but these are really nice ones!
IMO, they will great will tailored trousers.

I love the silver idea! Did you find that the silver Birkenstocks wore well? Did the silver finish last? I tried some on today at the shoe store and thought they were gorgeous. :love: But for a church wedding and fancy reception I was hesitant.

You're right that Nordstrom's web site does have lots of great little silver sandals! I had no idea. I may buy a pair in the future. I have a number of open-toed sandals but alas all inflict pain on my bum toe at the moment. Can't figure out why. Birkis are the only thing I can wear without eventually hobbling around grimacing. In fact in Birkis I just want to go and go.

So today at the Birki store I eventually settled on (drum roll) a pair of Arizona's in tobacco oiled leather. See photo below with my skirt.

The clerk convinced me that the white pair was much too bright and would be a fashion faux pas in the making. Especially with the socks. I liked the Zurich style but they didn't look as nice as they did online. Plus they weren't quite as comfortable as the Arizona. The tobacco color is one I can wear into the fall, plus it will hide dirt better than the white. And best of all I had a coupon for the store as a frequent shoe buyer :P that whacked the price down about 40 percent. Really happy!

View attachment 3726384
Love the combo!

I think you could definitely wear these to a wedding because you just had surgery and your health comes first. I wouldn't wear them with socks either. Just keep it bandaged and then have a pedicure on all the other toes [emoji6]
I hope your tor heals quickly and have fun at the wedding! [emoji4]

Edited to add I just realized you went with the tobacco arizonas - those will work too and yeah you can wear them into the Fall:smile:

View attachment 3726384
Arizona is versatile, great choice. I'd love to try Zurich if I can find the color I want.