Check out the letter I got in the mail today from The Dept. of Veteran's Affairs

Roo

O.G.
Apr 28, 2006
Greaaaat :rant: :mad:

http://www1.va.gov/opa/data/Letter_to_Veterans.asp

Dear Veteran:

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has recently learned that an employee took home electronic data from the VA, which he was not authorized to do and was in violation of established policies. The employee’s home was burglarized and this data was stolen. The data contained identifying information including names, social security numbers, and dates of birth for up to 26.5 million veterans and some spouses, as well as some disability ratings. As a result of this incident, information identifiable with you was potentially exposed to others. It is important to note that the affected data did not include any of VA’s electronic health records or any financial information.

My mother's boyfriend got one of those letters yesterday.

Then my DH heard on CNN that the thiefs were after electronics and had most likely wiped the hard drive clean prior to selling it on the street.

The college I went to had a laptop stolen, and I got one of those letters - I decided not to worry about it, there are too many other things in my life that demand attention.

I am not necessarily that worried for myself, since I have Equifax credit monitoring, so any time there is so much as a fart on my credit files, I get a notification. The thing that bothers me is that there are a lot of guys deployed right now that don't have the resources to deal with monitoring their personal information. I used to work for Uncle Sam as a civilian and I called a friend of mine who works in the local MEPS. He told me that active duty people are also affected by the breach so the potential for it to be a nightmare is pretty likely.

I agree pdonna. The thing is, that info can be used to harm you in ways not even related to credit. Other kinds of identity theft occur that are more insidious... grrrrr

I heard this a while back on the news also. It seems that, according to ABC, the VA had known about this for a few weeks!! And only now has come clean with the information and started an investigation. I wonder why...?