Cheapest shipping to Italy, and what is Firstmail??

Lvbabydoll

O.G.
Mar 2, 2006
So let me start by saying I don't suspect anything weird from this potential buyer, and I'm just selling one of my mom's cloth dolls (under $100 value), so nothing too weird here.

The doll is already boxed up (I'm using the same sturdy slipcover box it came in) and weighs a total of 4lbs, 4oz. I checked the rates for Italy and it shows $37.53 for Priority International which I've used before, and $46.46 for Express with tracking.

The buyer who asked me the question has since emailed me this (2 different emails):

hello..you can send with firstmail becous e cost only 19$ to italy???
thankyou

hello..yes ia usps..but is cheaper shipping;) US $26,50
USPS first Mail InternationalTM
Spedito a Italia

I had told her that I didn't know what firstmail is and even after searching around on google for awhile, I still have no idea what firstmail is or how anyone uses it.

I just emailed her back with the link to the rates I was personally quoted from USPS.com so she could see I wasn't trying to gouge her, but I don't know what else to do as I can't get her any cheaper shipping rates, that I know of. :shrugs:

Last edited:
She probably ask you to send via AirMail which is a lot cheaper but no tracking info or insurance but you can get insurance for the package via a third party insurer like this one.

pursewatch- Maybe...I'm just not sure where she came up with her rates, I've checked pretty much all over and can't find anything that cheap to Italy.
I just checked USPS International Priority Airmail (http://www.usps.com/international/intlprioritymail.htm) and it says there has to be a total of over 50lbs per mailing (I guess for businesses?) and shipments can be up to 4lbs...but my package will be over 4lbs and I can't make it any lighter. :Push:

mydogisfriend- I definitely would use First Class International if I could, I use that all the time, but shipments for that service can't be over 4lbs and it's like 4 ounces over that. My PO is super strict about it too, so they definitely wouldn't let it slip by them. Sigh.

^Maybe...thanks!

I have no idea, if she wants to pay the rates I gave her, that's ok, but I really can't suck up a $10-$20+ extra charge just to ship it to Italy. Between that and the ebay/paypal fees, it's going to suck too much of the money from the sale that I need to give to my mom since I'm selling for her.

Oh well, thanks to everyone for their help!