Workplace Change in dress code policy at work

UOTE=bnjj;23305826]Class has nothing to do with how fancy a person's shoes are (take all the Housewives shows stars or the Kardashians for example) and there are countless people who wear jeans and flat or casual shoes that do not look like slobs in any way.

If this is your attitude toward others, I really wonder if this comes through loud and clear at your workplace and contributed to this new dress code.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry you took my class comment wrong. I was not saying people that dress down do not have class at all. I was trying to simply tell you guys how I dress because I read some comments and I think everyone was taking it wrong. Someone had said not to dress like you are going to a club so I wanted to clear up the fact that I don't dress like a club. Matter of fact I don't even go to clubs LOL. I didn't want people to get the wrong idea that I wear short shirts and look like a tramp. That's what I meant that's all. And when I made the statement about my workplace wanting to take class out of the workplace I was just kidding:smile: I have a really good sense of humor and didn't mean any harm in my statement. I actually said it in a meeting and everyone laughed even the people that don't dress up because they know me so well and can take my scarcasm. They did not take offense. If you read this thread in full I actually worked on the dock out of high school and drove forklift so I have nothing against the ways others dress. Thats why I am the way I am today and I feel very fortunate to have the opportunites that they gave me, but I had to work hard to get there and it paid off.

Well it is hard to find 3 inch heels, I look for 3.5 and have a hard time finding those. 4.5 inches and up can start looking over the top for work in my opinion. But you can be fashionable in flats and you can also add things like an amazing scarf or jacket but honestly I wouldn't stand out so much from others. Maybe wearing shoes that can cost over a thousand dollars has contributed to a feeling that you don't need a raise? I really hope you confront management if you aren't being fairly paid - that is illegal.

Also I think for liability reasons it is completely reasonable to limit wearing heels when there is the possibility of being on a factory floor. I worked with very sloppy people in an office environment so I get your point of view and I even had a boss who would always compliment my shoes make a comment that sloppy dressing = sloppy work but I think most successful people look good but don't stand out like crazy.

Yes, I agree with you 100%. At 1st I wasn't looking at the whole picture, because I was so emotional and wasn't thinking rationally. Fast forward 3 weeks and I have settled down and wore flat boots today and glammed it up so I felt really good. One of the dock workers said, "Oh you are not dressed like a camper today, I don't know if I can take this" and then she laughed. But yes, it is very hard to find a 3" heel with a block style heel. I've been trying and I saw a really cute pair at Nordstrom so they pop up here and there. I don't think my shoes have to do with a rasie because all my shoes I always get on sale so yes retail they are $1000 but I pay $300. I would never pay full price for any retail. People see the car I drive and know I don't have money.

A VP at a company of mine was infuriated and jealous of the fact that I wore nice shoes. She actually snarked at me repeatedly until I reminded her I didn't have kids so I could spend money on nice shoes. She says, "Oh, THAT'S why."

But guess who got laid off? Yup, me.

Since then I figure if the other women don't dress like me then we're going to have a problem. I've also had women get mad that I don't have short hair, when they all did.

Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Yes, I know what you mean. I don't have kids either so a guy I worked with always had a hard time understanding how I had the money for that kind of stuff. I always reminded him I don't have kids.

^^ I always liked jeans and blazers. Add a button down shirt/blouse in a solid color and some decent boots/shoes. A lot of people don't like heels with jeans, but I think it looks great if done right.

Of course that depends on the workplace too.

Jeans and blazers are my favorite. Sometimes you can't really see my heels cause my jeans cover them.

I'm confused as to why one needs to go from fancy shoes to dressing like a slob. Surely there's some kind of in-between, no? I don't understand why you would go from "fashionable" clothes and high heels to jeans and runners. You can't wear some skinny pants with a cardigan or blazer and some unique shoes that are 2" or a pair of Ferragamo flats? Dresses with killer riding boots boots and tights? What's up with that?

Yes, you are right. I have pulled out my killer riders and cute sweater dresses. I love leggings too with long sweaters / tops, but unfortunatly these are banned. My 3 week stint in runners/ jeans was all emotional and trying to prove a point which everyone thought was funny. Even before the dresscode was implemented I was dressing the way you stated.

I agree. There are literally thousands of ways to dress cute without wearing 4+ inch heels at the office. Sorry, I'm not joining your pity party...

Sorry I was not looking for pity. Like I said, all I wanted to do is share my dresscode and wanted to hear that other people have the same kind of dresscode that's all. It made me feel a lot better.

where did OP say she wanted to wear fancy shoes? i thought she said she wanted or liked to wear heels...she likes to dress up. there's a difference.
everyone has their own interpretation of fashionable...so what if OP's POV is heels? since when it's a pet peeves to want to wear heels?

and if ppl around her like to wear mom jeans and payless shoes and thought that's proper, i think OP has a right to feel blue. geezzzzzzz...

Heel haters.

Thanks June. You really understand me and you get me. Next time I am in New York we should meet up. You have fabulous style. Love you sweetie.

Chanel 0407 said:
Yes, I know what you mean. I don't have kids either so a guy I worked with always had a hard time understanding how I had the money for that kind of stuff. I always reminded him I don't have kids.

It's always crazy to me how much people care about how one spends their money... I am a very savvy shopper and find great deals on great stuff for me and the kids. We mix in Burberry with Gymboree and Target and they always look fab.

I agree.

I don't mean to dogpile on you, OP, but it sounds as though you think you're better than other women because you dress in expensive, high-heeled shoes. You mention that you are paid less than others in similar jobs; could it be because they are more focused on the job? I don't know if you want to keep your current job or not, but it sounds like you may not be enjoying the job itself -- you seem focused on dressing up and doing personal stuff at work.

I am very focused on my job, there are some nights that I work till 8pm while my co-workers never put in extra time. I know my company is stuggling right now so I have nothing but focus now to keep the place going. Usually my boss and I are the only ones that work extra hours. I work from home and weekends a lot too. I was in Paris on vacation and I was still answering e-mails and running my reports. I didn't want to leave my co-workers with extra work. People thought I was crazy for doing that:smile: But I really do like my job.

Chanel 0407 said:
LOL, I wear Uggs to work too especially in the winter. It snows like crazy here and they are comfortable. See I don't always wear 4" heels ladies. I have all kinds. I love Hunter boots too.

:smile: I'm so glad you are feeling better about this and can make light of it... (Pulls up mom jeans and slides into Payless slippers LOL)

It's always crazy to me how much people care about how one spends their money... I am a very savvy shopper and find great deals on great stuff for me and the kids. We mix in Burberry with Gymboree and Target and they always look fab.

Ahh, I bet they are adorable.

Exactly! Its all about being Creative. I love finding things at Target, F21, and H&M nad incorporating it with my nice bags and shoes.

I wore a turquiose necklace I found at Macy's the other day and then I saw almost the identical necklace for $300 so I felt really good. I love when I can score a great deal like that.

thank you for saying this - every time I hear people making comments on how someone has the money to do xyz and that they couldn't cause they had kids I think: well, it is doable and if it is such a drag, why did you have kids? no need to be envious of someone else's abilities. plus, why do people care what others spend?

OP: well if nothing else you have the chance to rediscover new ways of dressing according to the dress code. I just started a new job and they have a dresscode, it is a fun challenge to rediscover my wardrobe according to this dresscode and make my pieces work anyways. so once you get over the annoying part (I understand) I suggest you see it as a fun challenge (and yes, perhaps you should also look into them getting you a salary increase if this is what is warranted).

Dress codes are such a drag - I never seem to be able to find anything that suits the dress code - in fact if I do find something that fits, doesn't make me ROTFLOL and suits the code I buy it in every colour (which also makes me a laughingstock - can't win!).