Chanel or no Chanel - is the quality on any new bag worth the price?

The OP brings up some very valid points, especially about buying second hand if she has to pay duty and taxes to get it into her country.

I'm always a bit surprised when posters here on tPF, say they baby their bags. Until very recently, the past 2 years or so, I never bought a bag to baby. I used it hard and everyday... and it still held up extremely well. It's supposed to, if made well. I have a Bottega that I used for years and years and it still looks the exact same!

And this inspection thing? Why should I have to? They pay quality control people to inspect bags and a loose stitch or glued strap (!) should never hit the stores anyway. Does anyone inspect Hermès before purchase? Maybe they do inspect before buying, but I bet they don't have to.

I really want that new Chanel extra large flap with the messenger strap and I am now in the same position as the OP... is it worth the money and will it last a lifetime and do I have to baby a messenger style bag. I really don't know what to do.

Last edited:
While it is true that we shouldn't have to inspect our purchases, I guess it is something that is advisable to be done due to the many problems with the bags nowadays. In relation to your dilemma, get the bag if you really want it... but you will have to be prepared of the possibility of quality issues. If that is unacceptable to you, I suggest you pass on Chanel.

The OP brings up some very valid points, especially about buying second hand if she has to pay duty and taxes to get it into her country.

I'm always a bit surprised when posters here on tPF, say they baby their bags. Until very recently, the past 2 years or so, I never bought a bag to baby. I used it hard and everyday... and it still held up extremely well. It's supposed to, if made well. I have a Bottega that I used for years and years and it still looks the exact same!

And this inspection thing? Why should I have to? They pay quality control people to inspect bags and a loose stitch or glued strap (!) should never hit the stores anyway. Does anyone inspect Hermès before purchase? Maybe they do inspect before buying, but I bet they don't have to.

I really want that new Chanel extra large flap with the messenger strap and I am now in the same position as the OP... is it worth the money and will it last a lifetime and do I have to baby a messenger style bag. I really don't know what to do.

In short, the way light reflects off the quilting is the indicator. Is the middle of the diamond flattened (and I'm not talking about a not well kept vintage where all the quilting is deflated) but that the light reflected back is from a larger area. The older ones, the quilting begins to ascend gradually from the stitch to the center of the diamond and then immediately descends gradually back down to the stitch. The light reflects off a much smaller area, the apex of the diamond. It's quite obvious once one knows what to look for. I can see it in photographs so it's that noticeable.

This is very informative & helpful. Thank you for sharing this. I did not know about this. I always thought that the diamond has to be big - guess I was misinformed.

OP, I understand how you feel about whether or not to buy new or vintage. Especially when some of the vintage are selling $1500-2000. After reading through many posts, I made up my mind to buy vintage. The way I see it is that these vintage bags are better quality and have lasted 10-15 yrs and still look great.

If these vintage bags can/will last another 10-15 yrs then I think it is better value compared to a brand new bag ($3000) that can last 10-15 yrs or even less (should the quality really does sucks).

As previously mentioned as long as you buy a classic Chanel, then isn't it better to get a better quality great looking bag at a lower price? Does it matter what its age is?

GL in your search.

ps. just wanted to add (incase dh stumbles onto this thread), I wouldn't turn my back on a brand new Chanel if the price is right as well. :P

I was on the list for a black caviar Maxi forever. When my time came, I passed on it. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't spend $3K+ on a bag that I wasn't confident would stand the test of time.

I think it's revolting that we have come to the point where a CHANEL bag isn't considered to be of the highest quality.

Would Coco stand for that? Not a chance. It's really a sad thing.

OT but I just wanted to point out that even Hermès is susceptible to defects.

thank you.............Lambskin girls oh lambskin girls :graucho:

I've seen lambskin with and without glued straps. I think it depends on the year & where they were made (France or Italy).

My vintage lamb m/l is glued and made in France. Prior to purchased, I made sure that the strap is still good. Although I would prefer that there are no glue used, the strap does look nicer/cleaner without the stitching.

I brought my flap into Chanel to have the manager take a look at it and she said that it's in very good condition. She even said that the leather is not as faded (dull looking) as some she has seen from younger flaps.

I don't think you need to baby your bags but you do need to clean and condition them to have them last a long time.

I've seen lambskin with and without glued straps. I think it depends on the year & where they were made (France or Italy).

My vintage lamb m/l is glued and made in France. Prior to purchased, I made sure that the strap is still good. Although I would prefer that there are no glue used, the strap does look nicer/cleaner without the stitching.

I brought my flap into Chanel to have the manager take a look at it and she said that it's in very good condition. She even said that the leather is not as faded (dull looking) as some she has seen from younger flaps.

I don't think you need to baby your bags but you do need to clean and condition them to have them last a long time.
Could someone explain what glueing the strap means? Is that the leather that is threaded in the hardware? Thanks from a newbie making the same decision as the OP.