Chanel novice questions about my puzzle flap

Roxane

Horange!
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
I have very little experience with Chanel, having been interested only in their non-classic designs, such as the baby cabas, rock & chain, etc. However, I saw a photo of the puzzle flap in a magazine way back in Jan and I have been dying to get my hands on one ever since. I got my wish last week and bought a dark navy blue puzzle flap from the Madison Ave Chanel store, but I have questions on exactly what I bought!

My bag looks exactly like this one from Chanel.com, except that it is in a very nice warm navy blue:
ss9.jpg

The tag that came with it does not give much information. It just says "classic bag with flap", but I believe this design is called the "reissue"? Does it have anything to do with 2.55, etc? And mine appears to have a different serial number than the one on Chanel.com. Mine is A38182 Y04904, while the one on the website is A38186 Y04904. Could mine be a different bag? :confused1:

I have read that the puzzle bags are made of vinyl (which is basically PVC), but the website says it is calfskin. How do I know whether mine is calfskin or vinyl?

Sorry for asking such basic questions :shame:

Congrats on the blue bag! Have any pics of it? I would love to see that one! ;) I have not seen the blue puzzle in person, but I found (and bought) the red version in the large bag. Gorgeous bags, love the patent!!!

The puzzle bags are patent leather (calfskin), not vinyl. As to the difference in the codes A38182 Y04904 versus A38186 Y04904: basically the first portion of these numbers (A38186 or A38182) represent the size of the purse. So to answer to your question why numbers are different, it is bc. the one on the website is a different size than yours. The last set of numbers (Y04904) represents the type of material and hardware. I hope that helps =)

Show us some pics!!! :P

As to the difference in the codes A38182 Y04904 versus A38186 Y04904: basically the first portion of these numbers (A38186 or A38182) represent the size of the purse. So to answer to your question why numbers are different, it is bc. the one on the website is a different size than yours. The last set of numbers (Y04904) represents the type of material and hardware. I hope that helps =)

Thanks very much for the clarification! :flowers: My flap measures 9 1/2" w x 6" h x 2 3/4" d, so I guess that makes it the 225 size? The photo from Chanel.com has 7 puzzle pieces across the flap, while mine has only 6, so I guess theirs is a larger size.

I am not sure I love the patent calfskin and gold hardware, but I an crazy about the puzzle quilting, which is why I bought it. I was actually wildly tempted by a denim blue alligator classic flap with silver hardware, but that bag had a pretty noticeable scratch under the flap – I told the DH he (or his wallet) was saved by that scratch! :lol:

Managed to snap a photo of my puzzle flap today, taken indoors, next to a window, so colour is quite accurate.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Roxane-Puzzle_flap.jpg
    Roxane-Puzzle_flap.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 481
BTW, if you are into that puzzle motive, have you checked out the Henry Cuir puzzle bags (I believe they even had them before Chanel did)?
http://www.purseblog.com/totes/sheryl-crow-style-henry-cuir-puzzle-tote/

Thanks for the link :flowers: I think I have seen those before, but the puzzle pieces look distorted, so I wasn't really interested. What I like about the puzzle flap is that I get the classic Chanel design, but with a fresh twist. Can't say I am overjoyed about the patent, though, but I'll take what I can get! :P

I on the other hand is absolutely overjoyed that this bag comes in patent!! I think we might be bag-twin soon - although I will be getting the medium size!