Chanel Leather Quality - Current Collection

A lot of it depends what style you like. Some are bigger, softer grains which tend to look more shiny. Others have smaller pebbles and appear more matte. I would take your time looking at several bags (even if it's not the one you're interested in) to compare and see which style appeals to you more. I personally prefer the bigger grains with very puffy quilting.

I have 3 caviar flaps, so hopefully the attached photo can help: the black has the biggest pebbles, then the beige, then the grey. The beige has the flattest quilts (though still on the puffier side of the scale, IMO).

Another thing to note: I would be less concerned about inferior leather than other quality issues (mismatched quilting, off center turnlock, popped stitches, glue residue, etc). All the more reason to see and feel the bag in person if possible! Because the style you’re after is pretty popular, I wouldn’t settle for the first one you see in the boutique if it isn’t exactly to your preferences.
Hi dear, I just got my WOC but the caviar leather is dry and rough when I tough. It doesn’t feel nice too roughly. Please give me your opinion on my bag. I have the photos here too. Thank you! PS your bags look so pretty

Attachments

• 48A8F19C-AE91-4415-9D53-BCCE4FED5CF8.jpeg
    48A8F19C-AE91-4415-9D53-BCCE4FED5CF8.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 121
  • A1F77B33-F144-4F65-9A72-F7E3FB4606A2.jpeg
    A1F77B33-F144-4F65-9A72-F7E3FB4606A2.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 118
Hi dear, I just got my WOC but the caviar leather is dry and rough when I tough. It doesn’t feel nice too roughly. Please give me your opinion on my bag. I have the photos here too. Thank you! PS your bags look so pretty

hi! It’s hard to tell from the photos, usually dry black caviar looks grayish but yours looks like a rich black. If it feels dry, though, I’d probably return it and wait for a different one

Reactions: vivaciousbev1
Looks good to me. Normally if it’s more pebbly it’s more hard wearing which isn’t a bad thing

I know what you mean! I have been to quite a few boutiques and seen many wocs, they are all dry and dull, rough to touch, I did not like it one bit. My SA has been keeping an eye on the new arrivals every time, but she always texted me back saying the caviar on the wocs were matte and dry. It took me almost a month to come by a shiny and soft one which I bought yesterday.

The first photo is mine. The second photo is a very shiny and soft display I came by a month ago in boutique when I purchased my classic flap, but it has a loose thread that’s why I didn’t get it.

I would return the one you have and look for a soft and shiny one, as the dry and dull ones look very ugly in my opinion, and it does not look luxurious at all, most importantly, it feels very cheap to touch, like cardboard.

Attachments

• E94DAD86-7789-485F-84EB-D284094E10E0.jpeg
    E94DAD86-7789-485F-84EB-D284094E10E0.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 110
  • B8F3B0A5-528B-4060-BE2E-BC89B1A5C93A.png
    B8F3B0A5-528B-4060-BE2E-BC89B1A5C93A.png
    746 KB · Views: 110
Thank you for your comment dear! Great if it’s more pebbly it’s more hard wear but I don’t know why the leather is very dry.
Oh my. Well leather does get shinier with time - I’ve seen ones like another poster above, where the leather was so dry it was grey: yours looks at least black. I have two black flaps and one is matte and pebbly (but dark and black) and one is flatter bigger pebbles and more shiny. The other pics of the woc above is beautiful, but some soft caviar is prone to creasing also. If you’re unhappy, please exchange it. But just note the next bag you exchange it for may have worse flaws (happens to me all the time).

I know what you mean! I have been to quite a few boutiques and seen many wocs, they are all dry and dull, rough to touch, I did not like it one bit. My SA has been keeping an eye on the new arrivals every time, but she always texted me back saying the caviar on the wocs were matte and dry. It took me almost a month to come by a shiny and soft one which I bought yesterday.

The first photo is mine. The second photo is a very shiny and soft display I came by a month ago in boutique when I purchased my classic flap, but it has a loose thread that’s why I didn’t get it.

I would return the one you have and look for a soft and shiny one, as the dry and dull ones look very ugly in my opinion, and it does not look luxurious at all, most importantly, it feels very cheap to touch, like cardboard.
Thank you so much my dear! You are right the one I have looks cheap and when I hold it on my hand I feel like I hold something is so hard and dry. I will go back to the store to return it tomorrow. I realize that the leather on WOC with gold hw is usually more shiny and soft than the leathe on WOC with silver hw. I’m unsure my thought is right. But I have seen a couple of my friends ones they have gold hw and look a lot better than mine.

Oh my. Well leather does get shinier with time - I’ve seen ones like another poster above, where the leather was so dry it was grey: yours looks at least black. I have two black flaps and one is matte and pebbly (but dark and black) and one is flatter bigger pebbles and more shiny. The other pics of the woc above is beautiful, but some soft caviar is prone to creasing also. If you’re unhappy, please exchange it. But just note the next bag you exchange it for may have worse flaws (happens to me all the time).
Hi dear, sorry for the bad experience about exchanging the bags before. Yes I have seen the threads on this forum how Chanel doesn’t make bags with quality as good as in the past. That makes me even feel nervous when receiving my bag and I also have a classic small flap on the waiting list. But my WOC is very dry when I touch and hold on my hand I feel like holding a peeling leather bag. Do you have any experience like this with your purchase? Thank you

Hi dear, sorry for the bad experience about exchanging the bags before. Yes I have seen the threads on this forum how Chanel doesn’t make bags with quality as good as in the past. That makes me even feel nervous when receiving my bag and I also have a classic small flap on the waiting list. But my WOC is very dry when I touch and hold on my hand I feel like holding a peeling leather bag. Do you have any experience like this with your purchase? Thank you

yes I went through 12 medium flaps once in ghw. All horrible or crooked. I’m not saying settle, but sometimes we are being super picky (but at the end of the day, so what makes you happy as I’m super picky). Can you perhaps show us more pics? Mine isn’t shiny but I like the grain and how tough it feels. I’ll show you both flaps I have. The one with ghw is more matte and pebbly, but my shw is the shinier one:

Attachments

• 94256C5D-4ADB-4B76-AEC9-8D9B1670EE4A.jpeg
    94256C5D-4ADB-4B76-AEC9-8D9B1670EE4A.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 109
  • FB35E0D4-D8F5-4D42-8B76-1332490A8D0F.jpeg
    FB35E0D4-D8F5-4D42-8B76-1332490A8D0F.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 106
yes I went through 12 medium flaps once in ghw. All horrible or crooked. I’m not saying settle, but sometimes we are being super picky (but at the end of the day, so what makes you happy as I’m super picky). Can you perhaps show us more pics? Mine isn’t shiny but I like the grain and how tough it feels. I’ll show you both flaps I have. The one with ghw is more matte and pebbly, but my shw is the shinier one:
Your bags are gorgeous. Thank you so much for taking pics so I can compare. The leather of your bags look great. I can tell it’s as dry as mine. Sorry I’m not at home and don’t have the bag with me. I will take more pics when I’m home this evening. Love this forum so much. I’m a new member here. Everyone tries helping me with their sincere opinion ❤️

Reactions: vivaciousbev1
Yes - although my shw is more shiny and puffy, it’s more thick and sturdy. My friend has a same shiny puffy flap but hers is thinner leather. It just depends on the season. This is a dry grey flap I came across, and I wasn’t a fan as it truly looked “dry”. There are also caviars that look shinier than my shw, where it’s almost wet. Those are nice too but can be more soft. At the end of the day I would get what’s symmetrical, and nothing too dry, but not aiming for a super wet look either. LOL

Attachments

• 250546DB-F7CD-410F-9D3C-B925AA1DE80D.png
    250546DB-F7CD-410F-9D3C-B925AA1DE80D.png
    678.7 KB · Views: 90
Thank you so much my dear! You are right the one I have looks cheap and when I hold it on my hand I feel like I hold something is so hard and dry. I will go back to the store to return it tomorrow. I realize that the leather on WOC with gold hw is usually more shiny and soft than the leathe on WOC with silver hw. I’m unsure my thought is right. But I have seen a couple of my friends ones they have gold hw and look a lot better than mine.
Unfortunately yes, cheap is the word. I’ve also gone through quite a few dry, dull and rough classic flaps to get to my shiny soft classic flap. Don’t settle, after all these are big purchases. And the leather is the one of the first things we see on these bags, get the look and feel that you love.

I am glad I’ve persisted in finding a shiny classic flap, some SAs in other boutiques tried to persuade me into buying the dry classic flaps saying that the leather will look shinier in time, I do not see how unless I apply petroleum jelly generously on it. :lol: Like I said, they look and feel like cardboards. Anyway below is mine, I love my classic flap.

94D35710-7344-4EF1-BEAF-E70998A27024.jpeg
B9859A0B-98F7-4469-916F-7FBDA790FC7C.jpeg

Yes - although my shw is more shiny and puffy, it’s more thick and sturdy. My friend has a same shiny puffy flap but hers is thinner leather. It just depends on the season. This is a dry grey flap I came across, and I wasn’t a fan as it truly looked “dry”. There are also caviars that look shinier than my shw, where it’s almost wet. Those are nice too but can be more soft. At the end of the day I would get what’s symmetrical, and nothing too dry, but not aiming for a super wet look either. LOL
I totally agree with you my dear. I guess I like the leather not too dry or wet neither. I am not a Chanel regular customer because they are so pricy, but this time I gotto tell the SA that what I am exactly looking for. It’s easier for me and her too. But I know we never know the next bag will be okay or has some kinds of defect or flaws. I’ve seen so many members talked about it in this lovely forum ;)

Unfortunately yes, cheap is the word. I’ve also gone through quite a few dry, dull and rough classic flaps to get to my shiny soft classic flap. Don’t settle, after all these are big purchases. And the leather is the one of the first things we see on these bags, get the look and feel that you love.

I am glad I’ve persisted in finding a shiny classic flap, some SAs in other boutiques tried to persuade me into buying the dry classic flaps saying that the leather will look shinier in time, I do not see how unless I apply petroleum jelly generously on it. :lol: Like I said, they look and feel like cardboards. Anyway below is mine, I love my classic flap.

View attachment 4978931
View attachment 4978939
Wow your bag and its leather look amazing not too dry or wet ;) I love it. You are right leather is the first thing we see in the bag lol so it has to be not too dry.
PS I also think the WOC next to your bag in the first pic looks nice too. It looks like the leather isn’t dry