Chanel Lambskin - how do I clean it/care for it?

Hello all, I don’t usually post here however I have a question I hope you can help me with! I am about to buy a bag I have been trying to get for a while. It is the classic flap shopping line! I saw it years ago and loved the quirkiness of it. I saw it at last and snapped it up, however it had some rather bad chain marks on the front. I have a day to decide to return, so you think I could get the marks out?? I really appreciate the help!

IMG_3640.jpeg

Hi, if anyone could give any advice on any caring for colour transfer and scuffs on lambskin that would be very helpful!

I am planning on caring for the bag myself to try and remove stains and scuffs, if that doesn't work I'll send it to the handbag clinic.

Thank you! x

Screenshot_20230907-075023_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230907-075008_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230907-074946_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230907-074909_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230907-074432_eBay.jpg

Beautiful bag!

On my black lambskin CF I use:

+ The Handbag Spa Ultimate Care Kit (Any high-quality, non-silicon based gentle leather cleansers and protectants could work.)

+ Saphir leather crème (A tiny bit goes a long way! Reconditions and recolors. You may need to mix two colors of Saphir to get that specific shade of green.)

Note: The Hangbag Dermo Protect would be the last step of you're using Saphir to protect against color transfer and other wear-and-tear.

The corners of your bag are missing leather though, so you may be able to downplay the discoloration with Saphir but the imperfection will still be noticeable.

Chanel lambskin is usually very forgiving, at least on vintage bags. The scratches and light scuffs may mostly be gone or highly camouflaged after buffing with The Handbag Spa products, but you may still see deeper scratches in certain light at certain angles.

Don't forget to let the leather dry for many hours between steps, even overnight if you're uncertain.

Happy restoring!

@pursekitten Thank you so much for your reply. I'm definitely going to try and restore myself with the products you have recommended. Do you think a handbag restoration company (such as handbag clinic) would be able to restore the corner wear? Thank you x

I've never been brave enough to send my bag to a clinic/spa, but The Leather Surgeons in NYC is the company I've seen the most and have very good reviews. Their IG: @leathersurgeons

Ex:

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 3.10.13 PM.png

Reactions: GLX0
@pursekitten Thank you so much for your reply. I'm definitely going to try and restore myself with the products you have recommended. Do you think a handbag restoration company (such as handbag clinic) would be able to restore the corner wear? Thank you x
Check out mademoisellem.atelier on Instagram. She used to make and repair Hermes bags. She has her own restoration company now.

Reactions: cottoncandy101
What brand of cleaner should I get to clean a vintage lambskin Chanel? They're so many out there that I get confused and I don't want to always send my bags to a spa service as it adds up. I have a Saphir moisturizer but they have different cleaners it's so confusing. I know my spa service uses a foam cleaner. Also, can I use the same cleaner on vintage caviar then?

Thanks in advance for suggestions :flowers:

I am in love with this bag but the lambskin is starting to fray... Break apart. Has this happened with anyone else's bag and successfully been able to repair it. It seems like it's the structure of the leather so I was unsure.

I'm thinking to send it to leather spa or leather surgeons in NYC. But I'm so afraid due to some mixed reviews here.

Any thoughts would be great. I can still return the bag but want to try my best to repair it.

(Edit: I can't seem to upload photos there so I need to figure out how)

Last edited:
I am in love with this bag but the lambskin is starting to fray... Break apart. Has this happened with anyone else's bag and successfully been able to repair it. It seems like it's the structure of the leather so I was unsure.

I'm thinking to send it to leather spa or leather surgeons in NYC. But I'm so afraid due to some mixed reviews here.

Any thoughts would be great. I can still return the bag but want to try my best to repair it.

(Edit: I can't seem to upload photos there so I need to figure out how)
I would return if you’re still within the return window. It should not fray or have issues especially if it’s new.

Has anyone had an experience using a conditioner on light colored lambskin (non-vintage) bags such as the caramel or light grey?
I’m thinking about it but worried it will darken the bags or make it splotchy from drying unevenly. If you’ve used it successfully what brand do you suggest?
TIA!