Chanel Extra mini vs Gucci Super Mini

Thank you!! I think you’re right - the Gucci super mini is a little smaller in depth - just a bit. Fashionphile has an absolutely stunning chevron Lambskin extra mini for sale right now. Let us know if you nab it! The extra mini has to be the most adorable bag on earth. Tiny and luxurious!

Yes! Tell us if you get it! We need more extra mini CHANELS on this forum!

It arrived today!!
There are a couple of flaws from scratches to scuffs (which i can kind of live with) and one rather deep puncture mark. I’m still deciding if I want to keep it but i’m leaning towards keep because the leather is puffier and softer than my chevron lambskin medium flap, I don’t even know how, maybe it’s the year, maybe it’s because it’s used. I don’t know but I love how puffy it is.
IMG_1127.jpgIMG_1134.jpg

It arrived today!!
There are a couple of flaws from scratches to scuffs (which i can kind of live with) and one rather deep puncture mark. I’m still deciding if I want to keep it but i’m leaning towards keep because the leather is puffier and softer than my chevron lambskin medium flap, I don’t even know how, maybe it’s the year, maybe it’s because it’s used. I don’t know but I love how puffy it is.
View attachment 4067778View attachment 4067779
It looks amazing on you, congratulations! I’ve found that the lambskin from some seasons is incredibly soft and luxurious - I can’t stop touching my lambskin extra mini!

It’s so cute ! It looks great on you!

It looks amazing on you, congratulations! I’ve found that the lambskin from some seasons is incredibly soft and luxurious - I can’t stop touching my lambskin extra mini!

That’s a keeper!!!

Thank you guys! I think I am keeping it! Though, I haven’t given up on my dream of a pristine/BN black lambskin one so if any of you see it please keep me in mind! [emoji177] I wish Chanel would just make this regularly again!

As a follow up for all you dear ladies, I thought I would do a comparison!

I LOVE super mini bags so much, I own both the Chanel Extra Mini and the Gucci Super Mini. The Gucci i’ve owned for about half a year now, and the Chanel arrived preloved earlier this week. I originally wanted the Extra Mini last year, but they didn’t make it anymore and it’s kind of hard to find the combo I wanted preloved, but I discovered Gucci made one around the same size too so I settled for that first. The desire for Chanel never died so as you all know I eventually caved for that gently used on from fashionphile. I haven’t seen many comparison photos out there so I thought you guys might be interested!
Height and width wise they are about the same, Chanel has a turn lock closure and Gucci has the regular push down closer (not a fan of the way the Gucci closes, mostly because the bag is so soft it’s hard to click close when the bag isn’t stuffed right).
View attachment 4073012
But the Chanel is just a tiny bit deeper, it is also more structured.
View attachment 4073013
View attachment 4073014
It could be just my particular bag but the quilts are puffier, I do own a medium lambskin chevron Chanel I bought earlier this year and it was not as puffy as my Extra Mini.
View attachment 4073015

Another main difference is the inside.
Chanel has a fully leather lined interior and a stupid divider down the middle (what we’re they thinking? Did they think “Geeze so much space in this little bag, let’s stick a divider down there so people can fit even less stuff in”?):
View attachment 4073016
Gucci has the microfiber interior with the key/Fanny pack clip
View attachment 4073017

I did weigh them when I first got it and I think they weighed about the same at ~300 grams (Chanel was like 10g heavier I think). You can’t take the chain off the Chanel to weigh but from impressions it seemed like Chanel’s bag body was slightly heavier than its chain and like more than half the weight of the Gucci was from its own Chain. For both bags the weight distribution was roughly half bag half chain. The weight distribution matters because I like to rest my hand on the strap of my bags when worn shoulder and the Gucci bag body is so light I would end up moving the whole bag up and down my shoulder while it’s not as obvious with the Chanel. The Gucci does have a slightly longer chain than the Chanel.

Last edited:
As a follow up for all you dear ladies, I thought I would do a comparison!

I LOVE super mini bags so much, I own both the Chanel Extra Mini and the Gucci Super Mini. The Gucci i’ve owned for about half a year now, and the Chanel arrived preloved earlier this week. I originally wanted the Extra Mini last year, but they didn’t make it anymore and it’s kind of hard to find the combo I wanted preloved, but I discovered Gucci made one around the same size too so I settled for that first. The desire for Chanel never died so as you all know I eventually caved for that gently used on from fashionphile. I haven’t seen many comparison photos out there so I thought you guys might be interested!
Height and width wise they are about the same, Chanel has a turn lock closure and Gucci has the regular push down closer (not a fan of the way the Gucci closes, mostly because the bag is so soft it’s hard to click close when the bag isn’t stuffed right).
View attachment 4073012
But the Chanel is just a tiny bit deeper, it is also more structured.
View attachment 4073013
View attachment 4073014
It could be just my particular bag but the quilts are puffier, I do own a medium lambskin chevron Chanel I bought earlier this year and it was not as puffy as my Extra Mini.
View attachment 4073015

Another main difference is the inside.
Chanel has a fully leather lined interior and a stupid divider down the middle (what we’re they thinking? Did they think “Geeze so much space in this little bag, let’s stick a divider down there so people can fit even less stuff in”?):
View attachment 4073016
Gucci has the microfiber interior with the key/Fanny pack clip
View attachment 4073017

I did weigh them when I first got it and I think they weighed about the same at ~300 grams (Chanel was like 10g heavier I think). You can’t take the chain off the Chanel to weigh but from impressions it seemed like Chanel’s bag body was slightly heavier than its chain and like more than half the weight of the Gucci was from its own Chain. For both bags the weight distribution was roughly half bag half chain. The weight distribution matters because I like to rest my hand on the strap of my bags when worn shoulder and the Gucci bag body is so light I would end up moving the whole bag up and down my shoulder while it’s not as obvious with the Chanel. The Gucci does have a slightly longer chain than the Chanel.
What a great comparison!! I’m so glad you got the extra mini - it’s stunning! I actually like the divider on the extra minis because my phone (iPhone X) slips perfectly into the slot there. Do you feel the Chanel is way more luxurious and better quality than the Gucci? Do you think you’ll be keeping the Gucci now that you have the Chanel?

What a great comparison!! I’m so glad you got the extra mini - it’s stunning! I actually like the divider on the extra minis because my phone (iPhone X) slips perfectly into the slot there. Do you feel the Chanel is way more luxurious and better quality than the Gucci? Do you think you’ll be keeping the Gucci now that you have the Chanel?

Thanks! I was slightly disappointed to find the that Chanel, despite being bigger, can’t fit much more than the Gucci because of the divider. I don’t actually stick my phone in there so I will have rathered the extra space to put in more random things(I have a regular iPhone 7, but I am always using it anyway, it’s glued to my hand). Both fit roughly the same amount of stuff for me, and are my basic essentials (keys without the key holder, Small Chanel flap card case, lipstick, earbuds, nail file), the Chanel could probably fit a tiny bit more but not enough to make a difference (another lipstick or two).

Yes, I do find the Chanel more luxurious because of the soft and puffy lambskin, the stronger structure, and a real turnlock clasp (I don’t love snap closure for bags). It’s not quite fair to the Gucci bag to judge it like this though, because it’s like 1/3 the price of a Chanel.

I will still be keeping the Gucci because it’s lower maintenance due to being calfskin, and it can also be worn as a belt bag which is very trendy right now (but I refuse to commit to a real belt bag).

Last edited:
Thanks! I was slightly disappointed to find the that Chanel, despite being bigger, can’t fit much more than the Gucci because of the divider. I don’t actually stick my phone in there so I will have rathered the extra space to put in more random things(I have a regular iPhone 7, but I am always using it anyway, it’s glued to my hand). Both fit roughly the same amount of stuff for me, and are my basic essentials (keys without the key holder, Small Chanel flap card case, lipstick, earbuds, nail file), the Chanel could probably fit a tiny bit more but not enough to make a difference (another lipstick or two).

Yes, I do find the Chanel more luxurious because of the soft and puffy lambskin, the stronger structure, and a real turnlock clasp (I don’t love snap closure for bags). It’s not quite fair to the Gucci bag to judge it like this though, because it’s like 1/3 the price of a Chanel.

I will still be keeping the Gucci because it’s lower maintenance due to being calfskin, and it can also be worn as a belt bag which is very trendy right now (but I refuse to commit to a real belt bag).

I’m so glad you posted this comparison. I was considering the super mini as well but now may go for the bigger size or the camera case. Also, what I find is interesting is that all the extra minis I see have that center divider. My extra mini doesn’t have a center divider. It’s a slip pocket in the back. I think because it was a limited edition. I actually wish I had the center divider! [emoji14]IMG_1404.jpg

I’m so glad you posted this comparison. I was considering the super mini as well but now may go for the bigger size or the camera case. Also, what I find is interesting is that all the extra minis I see have that center divider. My extra mini doesn’t have a center divider. It’s a slip pocket in the back. I think because it was a limited edition. I actually wish I had the center divider! [emoji14]View attachment 4073449

What’s the size of your phone? I’m eyeing on a extra mini but I have 7 plus and I’m not sure if it would fit in the bag.