Chanel earrings material

wild child

O.G.
Aug 8, 2006
I tried doing a search but didn't find the answer :sad:

I'm new to Chanel and kind of want a pair of earrings. I was wodering what material are Chanel earrings made of, or are the earring posts made of (i.e. Rhodium plating, sterling silver, 18k gold). I have sensitive ears but really want a pair of Chanel earrings.

thanks in advance! :smile:

I put off of buying Chanel earings because I was worried they would irritate my ears but I ended up buying one pair & they were fine so I then bought two mire pairs & I wear them every day all my gold and silver earings have not been worn since I love the Chanel earings there so pretty, maybe get a pair & see how you get on with them you could allways sell them on eBay.

I was told by the SA that they are not even silver.

I have sensitive ears and can wear only gold (not sure about silver) and I have some Chanel earrings which I must wipe my earlobes and the earrings with alcoholic wipes before I put the earrings on, failing which I need to be ready for swollen earlobes.

To be frank Chanel earrings are made out of cheap materials - yup, not even silver or anything of the like. I also have sensitive ears but for some reason after the first few times of wearing them my ears get used to it and don't swell up/get itchy anymore.

On a somewhat related note, the metal bit in the middle of the back that comes with the earring fell out today..! Grr. Thank god it wasn't a crystal.

I have no idea of what type of materials they used but definitely something cheap as what eggpudding said. Me too have some highly sensitive skin so Chanel earrings are definitely not a thing for me. But i do have 2-3 pairs. I can only wear them for less than an hour, and i still end up with swollen, infected earlobes and it will take weeks-month to recover. So now i totally given up.

I do feel like they should made some of the accessories out of the hypoallergenic material for people like us. For me, only surgical steel, titanium or platinum will help. ;)

I have sensitive ears too and always buy gold or silver plated earrings. I find that with time the plating comes off and my earlobes get irritated.
I usually coat my earring posts with clear nail polish once this happens and it usually works well. After a few months, I apply another coat.
Perhaps you could give this a try with a pair of earrings you already own to see if it works for you.
Let us know what you end up doing. Many of us ladies are in the same boat with us when it comes to sensitive ears.

Last edited:
I think I might be the only one that can wear them, I love them & since buying my first pair a month ago & then two more pairs I've not stopped wearing them, I don't sleep or shower in them, I hope my ears don't ever become sensitive because I will definitely buy more.

I have sensitive ears too and was afraid I'd be allergic to the earrings. I couldn't resist and wanted to try them. Luckily, I've been tolerating them. It's been a month and the only problem I have is slight itchiness but nothing alcohol wipes won't solve. Try them out!

Thanks for all the replies! I don't think i'm going to give them a try. As pretty as they are my ears get irritated very easily and it's just not worth it for me =(

Hopefully one day Chanel will make fine jewelery and the earrings will be available in 18k gold or platinum.

Oh I have a pair of clip ons in case you have sensitive ears can consider that. Very nice ones but it hurt A LOT the first day I wore it. So painful that my ear lobes got the CC indentation. No choice I had to bring it back. Nearly wanted to exchange for something else but it wasn't allowed and the SA offered to send back to loosen for me. After loosen it's much better. Maybe you can try your luck for clip ons but just remember to bring back to loosen in case you get the same experience as me.

To be frank, if you wanna talk about "worth the price" I don't think any luxury goods is really "worth the price" no matter how good is the material. A good material leather flap for a few thousands? I don't think so.
I have a Bvlgari B zero 1 ring with diamond. Tiny diamonds. Price was about SGD4k+ when I got it 5yrs ago. Not sure of current price but definitely gone UPPPPP by now. If you wanna compare, SGD4k+ can get good grade diamond at local jeweller. Anyway I don't think luxury brand can be said about worth the price or not. We are afterall paying for the brand only.

Just my 2 cents :smile:

I'm with all the gals here. Definitely a nice to have, but not worth the price! The costume jewelry collection is sub-par, IMO.

Reactions: katieCH008
I only have one pair of Chanel earrings that I purchased in September. I prefer gold or even silver because my skin is sensitive.
I noticed that my ears would itch slightly when wearing the earrings, but this past week, I couldn't believe it. One ear actually starting bleeding around the piercing!
Even though I LOVE Chanel earrings, I think I've purchased my first and last pair. And I may have to give the ones I have to my sister.
Really bummed!