Chanel Bag arrived badly damaged. Seller refused to be responsible. What do I do?

Xtreme1

Apr 14, 2019
I bought a Chanel bag from an IG seller and paid via Wise.

When bag arrived, it was not packaged properly, with loose bubble wrap and bag badly damaged, a long deep cut. It was not as per the photos/videos she sent. Seller claims courier damaged the bag and refused to take any responsibility. She told me both of us should claim damages from courier and I will just have to take the damages offered by courier and rest my case.

The problem is she underdeclared the value of the package by a great deal without asking me. I just paid for the item and she shipped it. I was not aware that she underdeclared the value.

This has been causing me a lot of stress and sleepless nights.

Any advice / help?

I'm not sure what the laws are regarding this issue in your country/state, but typically, the seller would be responsible for delivering the goods to the buyer. You bought an undamaged item and have not received it. What does Wise's policy say? I'm not familiar with it.

I suggest you stay civil, but be very firm in explaining all this to the seller and informing her that none of this is your fault or your responsibility. Return the bag and get your money back - shipping and all.

Reactions: lulilu and MAGJES
I've never heard of Wise so I googled and it appears to be a wire transfer?.....which is not a safe way to pay if you are a buyer....you are unprotected if the transaction does not go well. I would think if the courier is at fault then the person sendng the item would be the one to file a claim but that is just a guess.

I'm sorry your transaction did not go well but if you purchase an expensive item on insta fromm someone you do not know you should ALWAYS use a payment method where you as the buyer are protected. Always.

The only person who can file is the sender/seller. They are the ones that purchased the service.
It's been ages since I sold online, and NEVER on social media platforms, but the protocol was for the buyer to return the item, the seller would then refund and go after the carrier for reimbursement.
Sorry, but your seller is a thoroughly unscrupulous person. To under declare the value, urge you to fraudulently claim against the courier, and use a payment method that leaves you completely unprotected doesn't bode well for any cooperation on their part. Returning the bag could mean that you'd be out the money AND the bag.
How did you pay for the wire transfer? Did you use a credit or a debit card?
Was the packaging damaged in a way that would correspond with the cut?

Reactions: BeenBurned
It never ceases to amaze me when I read these anecdotes where buyers send hundreds or thousands of dollars to a stranger and do it by a method that offers no protection!

I don't know how it was shipped but I believe major shipping companies (USPS, Fedex, UPS) allow either buyer or seller (sender) to file insurance claims but both sides need the cooperation of the other.

As for @poopsie's question about funding a wire transfer, AFAIK, cash has been the required form of payment, explicitly because c.c. companies aren't going to take the risk such as in this case.

The OP should also file a report on the user to Instagram. (I don't know how to report the user and haven't done it but I found this.) I hope you can give an explanation.
How to report a profile on Instagram
  1. On the app, go to the user's profile and tap the three dots located on the top right of the screen next to their name. ...
  2. Tap "Report" on the app and "Report User" in the browser. ...
  3. Once again, select the reason why you're reporting the profile.

I'm not sure what the laws are regarding this issue in your country/state, but typically, the seller would be responsible for delivering the goods to the buyer. You bought an undamaged item and have not received it. What does Wise's policy say? I'm not familiar with it.

I suggest you stay civil, but be very firm in explaining all this to the seller and informing her that none of this is your fault or your responsibility. Return the bag and get your money back - shipping and all.

Item arrived but badly damaged. Wise says try to resolve with seller.

Thanks for your suggestion dear. I'm trying to do that right now but she is refusing any responsibility.

I've never heard of Wise so I googled and it appears to be a wire transfer?.....which is not a safe way to pay if you are a buyer....you are unprotected if the transaction does not go well. I would think if the courier is at fault then the person sendng the item would be the one to file a claim but that is just a guess.

I'm sorry your transaction did not go well but if you purchase an expensive item on insta fromm someone you do not know you should ALWAYS use a payment method where you as the buyer are protected. Always.

She was a reputable seller and was recommended by my friend so i went with it.

Yes seller is filing a claim but she declared a low value without me knowing.

Thanks dear for the reminder. After this experience, i will always go with buyer's protection no matter how reputable the seller is.

Reactions: MAGJES
The only person who can file is the sender/seller. They are the ones that purchased the service.
It's been ages since I sold online, and NEVER on social media platforms, but the protocol was for the buyer to return the item, the seller would then refund and go after the carrier for reimbursement.
Sorry, but your seller is a thoroughly unscrupulous person. To under declare the value, urge you to fraudulently claim against the courier, and use a payment method that leaves you completely unprotected doesn't bode well for any cooperation on their part. Returning the bag could mean that you'd be out the money AND the bag.
How did you pay for the wire transfer? Did you use a credit or a debit card?
Was the packaging damaged in a way that would correspond with the cut?

Returning the bag could mean that you'd be out the money and the bag. -> Thanks dear for reminding me on this. Didnt think of that.

Does it make a difference if i pay by wire or crediy card?

Yes, the bubble wrap and dust bag was also cut together with the bag.

It never ceases to amaze me when I read these anecdotes where buyers send hundreds or thousands of dollars to a stranger and do it by a method that offers no protection!

I don't know how it was shipped but I believe major shipping companies (USPS, Fedex, UPS) allow either buyer or seller (sender) to file insurance claims but both sides need the cooperation of the other.

As for @poopsie's question about funding a wire transfer, AFAIK, cash has been the required form of payment, explicitly because c.c. companies aren't going to take the risk such as in this case.

The OP should also file a report on the user to Instagram. (I don't know how to report the user and haven't done it but I found this.) I hope you can give an explanation.
How to report a profile on Instagram
  1. On the app, go to the user's profile and tap the three dots located on the top right of the screen next to their name. ...
  2. Tap "Report" on the app and "Report User" in the browser. ...
  3. Once again, select the reason why you're reporting the profile.

Can we still file insurance if she didnt insure and declared a low value without me knowing?

Thanks dear for your suggestion on reporting her. I didnt think of it. It is helpful.

Can we still file insurance if she didnt insure and declared a low value without me knowing?

Thanks dear for your suggestion on reporting her. I didnt think of it. It is helpful.
On sites that offer protection, it wouldn't matter what the seller insured it for. Insurance is to protect the seller and it's up to the seller to send an item in such a way that it arrives to the buyer in good condition.

If the seller is so "reputable," she should make you whole, either issuing a partial refund in an amount that a repair would cost or allow you to return it for a full refund. (But as others have pointed out, there's the possibility that she may not issue a refund upon return.)

Yes seller is filing a claim but she declared a low value without me knowing.

Thanks dear for the reminder. After this experience, i will always go with buyer's protection no matter how reputable the seller is.
Really sorry for this outcome. I’ve only purchased one bag on Instagram ever and it was about 3 years ago. The seller was reputable and was recommended by a “friend.” I say friend but it was an internet friend/facebook purse group friend so technically not a real friend Anyway - the seller requested a wire transfer which I refused to do - I guess because I’m old my paranoia runs deep. I said i would pay by PP only. We went round and round. Over and Over. She made me pay an extra 3% which was worth it. I paid - then crickets. No response to messages / no tracking uploaded on paypal. After two weeks she finally surfaced and said she had not been feeling well and would mail it out. Again….no tracking uploaded on paypal and no response to messages for yet another week. Finally after I threatened to file a claim on paypal she admitted that she discovered that the bag she sold me was not delivered to her as promised (what??) and was trying to find a replacement. I requested a refund immediately. Now - do you think I would have received a refund if I was not protected. nope. This was a reputable seller with a “store.” Of course she did not refund me right away. There were a few more silent days but I was patience because i knew I was protected. Piece of mind is worth 3%.

Amen.
I do not care WHO recommends or how reputable someone claims to be…..you are the only one that can look out for your money.

On sites that offer protection, it wouldn't matter what the seller insured it for. Insurance is to protect the seller and it's up to the seller to send an item in such a way that it arrives to the buyer in good condition.

If the seller is so "reputable," she should make you whole, either issuing a partial refund in an amount that a repair would cost or allow you to return it for a full refund. (But as others have pointed out, there's the possibility that she may not issue a refund upon return.)
Thanks im still trying to negotiate with her. She offered a buy out at 2k below what i paid or 300 which doesnt help at all.

Really sorry for this outcome. I’ve only purchased one bag on Instagram ever and it was about 3 years ago. The seller was reputable and was recommended by a “friend.” I say friend but it was an internet friend/facebook purse group friend so technically not a real friend Anyway - the seller requested a wire transfer which I refused to do - I guess because I’m old my paranoia runs deep. I said i would pay by PP only. We went round and round. Over and Over. She made me pay an extra 3% which was worth it. I paid - then crickets. No response to messages / no tracking uploaded on paypal. After two weeks she finally surfaced and said she had not been feeling well and would mail it out. Again….no tracking uploaded on paypal and no response to messages for yet another week. Finally after I threatened to file a claim on paypal she admitted that she discovered that the bag she sold me was not delivered to her as promised (what??) and was trying to find a replacement. I requested a refund immediately. Now - do you think I would have received a refund if I was not protected. nope. This was a reputable seller with a “store.” Of course she did not refund me right away. There were a few more silent days but I was patience because i knew I was protected. Piece of mind is worth 3%.

Amen.
I do not care WHO recommends or how reputable someone claims to be…..you are the only one that can look out for your money.
Thanks for sharing your story. I will probably go through paypal next time.

Thanks im still trying to negotiate with her. She offered a buy out at 2k below what i paid or 300 which doesnt help at all.
That's nonsense!

I'm not really sure how "reputable" a seller this is if those are her offers for a problem that shouldn't be YOURS!

IMO, you should post her ID/website so others won't meet the same fate if they buy from her.

This doesn't seem like a very reputable seller to me!

That's nonsense!

I'm not really sure how "reputable" a seller this is if those are her offers for a problem that shouldn't be YOURS!

IMO, you should post her ID/website so others won't meet the same fate if they buy from her.

This doesn't seem like a very reputable seller to me!
Thats right, she just does not want to lose money and feel that she did nothing wrong at all cos she sent a good bag as she claims.

So I the buyer should take all the risk and loss.

She has made a supposedly happy 1st Chanel purchase which was saved up for turned into a terrifying nightmare causing me sleepless nights for 2 weeks.

I will post her IG here to warn others after the negotiation is concluded. As of now, nothing has been confirmed, i dont want to accuse her yet.