Chanel Backpacks??

nyc_cady

Louis is My 1st Love
May 7, 2008
What do you TPFers think about backpacks?? If anyone can remember some of my previous posts about the medallion or the GST - I'm still in the same dilemma.

So I've been browsing eBay (mostly) and I've found a couple backpacks I think are cute.

To backpack or no???

If you are into backpacks then go for it. i'm more of a tote girl.

See that's the thing - I don't know if I am a backpack girl. I love the ability to be hands free with them, but I live in NYC and I don't know how good they would be if I was say in a crowd or on the subway and someone could sneak their grubby little hands into it and then poof, my wallet is gone.

The one I'm looking at has a zipper, so I could possibly feel it if someone was trying to get into it, but I still don't know. Maybe living in NYC for so long has me jaded! And I'm an UESider too!!! :P

Well, I think you can hold your backpack when you are on the subway or in a crowd. I love backpacks but have not found one in Chanel. I used to use them more when my girls were younger and I needed my hands to be free. Now I use totes or flaps. But I would get one if Chanel started making them again. I might look at ebay but I still want some new bags. The backpack is also nice because it puts the weight of your purse on both shoulder and not just one. Sometimes I like to carry alot of things in my purses and they get heavy especially with my GST. I would like to have an option of using a backpack. But I usually use a tokidoki backpack with my chanels. HTH

If you're an UES then I would go for the tote. Do you ride the subway? I wear a messenger bag when in NY.

Yeah - I normally am a tote girl. It's amazing the amount of crap I manage to cram into a bag that could be considered small by some people!

I LOVE the subway - I know a lot of people talk down the subway, saying it's dirty, cold in the winter, hot in the summer, smelly, etc, but to me that's New York! I love being able to get off and walk to my destination, it let's me see new things in New York or things I walk past every day and perhaps didn't notice before. Plus it's exercise!

I do take cabs and car services, but I hate getting stuck in traffic - I just feel the subway is more efficient - unless you get stuck in a tunnel for 1/2 an hour and are late for a meeting and have no way of letting that person know (no cell phone signal down in the tunnerls for all you non-NYers)!!

Anyway - I could rant and rave for hours about what I love about NYC and what I dislike, but we're here to talk about purses!

I like messenger bags, but I'm short and I think they look funny on me. I'm only 4'10".

*sigh*

backpack is kind of hard in the subway. if you don't want a tote then maybe will consider a hobo or :nuts: just got it ... i know there's the option of drawstring bag. i don't think there are new ones but if you search on the preowned market I've seen drawstring bags which i guess may be a good alternative to backpack. i've seen some really cute drawstrings :yes:

IMO backpacks are unacceptable unless you're a student or visiting Disneyland. It's exceptionally hard to look elegant while wearing a backpack, because really, are you going to wear a backpack with Loubs and a cashmere coat?

I'm a fan of backpacks. As a mom with two super active boys, both hands have to be free and always on the run, so backpack is the way to go, at least for me and probably many moms with young kids. It has to fit into your lifestyle. A backpack is great when it comes to an outing with the kids. For work, NO.

The only Chanel backpacks I've ever seen are the flap ones. Basically the ones that are a classic flap with backpack straps. They're very cute and I've seen them go for cheap on eBay, although I never bought one because I can't imagine where I'd use it. I think it would be very handy to have when traveling or if you have kids, but other than that it's not something I would see myself using every day. :nogood: Just my two cents!

IMO backpacks are unacceptable unless you're a student or visiting Disneyland. It's exceptionally hard to look elegant while wearing a backpack, because really, are you going to wear a backpack with Loubs and a cashmere coat?

I totally agree with you about the the whole backpack and Loubs thing!! I can't imagine strapping on a backpack over my Ralph Lauren cashmere coat and feeling elegant!

I do have a 4 year old and toting him around NYC, I have to be has hands free as possible!

I do love the flap backpack (those are the only ones I've seen) - I just am on the fence about if I'd truly use it. I think the $400 or so I would spend on the backpack on ebay is $$ that I could put toward my GST or some other type of tote.

Oh...decisions, decisions!! :P