Celine Triomphe WOC - funny smell?

Marilla

O.G.
Jul 22, 2012
I bought a Triomphe woc last week, and as soon as I unboxed it I noticed a bit of a funny smell - kind of sickly sweet - almost like weed! I’ve left it out to air it but the smell isn’t going away. My husband thinks it might be something they’ve treated the leather with - so interested to know if anyone else has one and if yours smells funky too?
Picture because it’s so pretty even if it’s smelly lol

5BAE89E2-E46C-4D4F-AA77-263B4E874450.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a Triomphe woc last week, and as soon as I unboxed it I noticed a bit of a funny smell - kind of sickly sweet - almost like weed! I’ve left it out to air it but the smell isn’t going away. My husband thinks it might be something they’ve treated the leather with - so interested to know if anyone else has one and if yours smells funky too?
Picture because it’s so pretty even if it’s smelly lol

View attachment 5755895
YES! I just received my Triomphe card holder in shiny calfskin and it reeks of weed. Debated exchanging for a different one, but it’s now out of stock everywhere so have decided to just accept it… smell and all :biggrin:

Reactions: Marilla
YES! I just received my Triomphe card holder in shiny calfskin and it reeks of weed. Debated exchanging for a different one, but it’s now out of stock everywhere so have decided to just accept it… smell and all :biggrin:
I’ve seen a couple of YouTubers say there’s a funny smell too so it’s defo not just us!
I’m going back to London today to smell a few more lol and I’m going to ask Celine what the hell the smell is! I’ll update you later ;)

I’ve seen a couple of YouTubers say there’s a funny smell too so it’s defo not just us!
I’m going back to London today to smell a few more lol and I’m going to ask Celine what the hell the smell is! I’ll update you later ;)
This bag is next on my wishlist so that's a shame to hear it's got a bad smell :sad: please let us know what Celine said!

So I went into Celine today and took my bag. They were shocked at how bad the smell was! They called the manager who said there’s been a few complaints about weed smelling items, and he thinks there’s been a batch of them that have had something go wrong with the dyeing process. He said he’s taking it up with Celine HO
Anyway, they changed my bag over for a fresh smelling one lol. Hopefully as yours is a smaller item the smell won’t be too overwhelming! My bag made the whole room smell!

So I went into Celine today and took my bag. They were shocked at how bad the smell was! They called the manager who said there’s been a few complaints about weed smelling items, and he thinks there’s been a batch of them that have had something go wrong with the dyeing process. He said he’s taking it up with Celine HO
Anyway, they changed my bag over for a fresh smelling one lol. Hopefully as yours is a smaller item the smell won’t be too overwhelming! My bag made the whole room smell!
Thanks for the update! I have heard of something similar happening at Hermes before where there was an issue with the dye and it made the bags smell like weed! Glad to hear they exchanged it for you, I'm going to order mine online so fingers crossed I get a fresh smelling one too :lol:

Reactions: Marilla
Glad you were able to switch it out to a fresh smelling one! I have a quick unrelated question - is this bag too big to use inside a tote bag? like, I'm looking for a wallet on chain that i can carry comfortable inside a work tote so that for lunch time / quick trips out of the office i can carry the wallet on a chain with me? or is it too big to be using it inside another bag? I know it will fit, but will it take much too much room?

Glad you were able to switch it out to a fresh smelling one! I have a quick unrelated question - is this bag too big to use inside a tote bag? like, I'm looking for a wallet on chain that i can carry comfortable inside a work tote so that for lunch time / quick trips out of the office i can carry the wallet on a chain with me? or is it too big to be using it inside another bag? I know it will fit, but will it take much too much room?
Hi speckle. It’s not too big but it’s a very structured bag - almost like a box - so you might find it a little bulky to use inside a tote. I’d also be worried about the leather getting scratched and spoiled inside a tote. Maybe a YSL woc would work better for you.

Reactions: speckle
I bought a medium croque in black smooth calfskin this weekend and it has the EXACT smell that you described. I've had it for a few days and it still smells pretty strongly...guess I should go back to Bergdorf. It's so weird because my medium triomphe has the nicest leather smell and this croque smells like a mix of weed, chemicals, and plastic.

I bought a medium croque in black smooth calfskin this weekend and it has the EXACT smell that you described. I've had it for a few days and it still smells pretty strongly...guess I should go back to Bergdorf. It's so weird because my medium triomphe has the nicest leather smell and this croque smells like a mix of weed, chemicals, and plastic.
That’s exactly the smell - weed, plastic, chemicals. I ended up returning the second bag that I exchanged too. After I unboxed it and it was exposed to the air it started to get the same smell. They definitely have a major problem with certain batches.

For those that had odor issues earlier in the year, is it still noticeable or did it eventually go away? I recently purchased a mini triomphe and it has that weed smell; I’ve already exchanged it once and am still dealing with the stink. I purchased it in a seasonal color, so my options are limited on being able to continue exchanging…hoping the smell will fade, but I’d love to hear other people’s experiences (especially while I’m still in the return window). TIA :heart:

For those that had odor issues earlier in the year, is it still noticeable or did it eventually go away? I recently purchased a mini triomphe and it has that weed smell; I’ve already exchanged it once and am still dealing with the stink. I purchased it in a seasonal color, so my options are limited on being able to continue exchanging…hoping the smell will fade, but I’d love to hear other people’s experiences (especially while I’m still in the return window). TIA :heart:
I returned mine twice and in the end gave up and just took a refund. I kept the final one about 3 weeks but if anything the smell got worse rather than better. I went into Celine in Florence a few weeks ago and a few of the display bags they had absolutely reeked. I can’t believe they’re not doing anything to resolve the problem :/

I have the card holder similar in size to your mini, and despite being so tiny it still has a very strong stench after 6 months. I don’t use it regularly though and store it in the dustbag/box when not on rotation, so that may contribute to the smell not really fading.

Have you tried letting it air out in an area with good circulation to see if the smell fades at all?