Celine Price Point / History

Miraku

Sep 8, 2017
Hello,

I hope it's okay that I'm reaching out, I've lurked the Celine boards for a while and everyone has always been such a wealth of knowledge on Celine. Does anyone happen to know about the history of Celine as a brand? Specifically vintage price points and if the brand has always been a luxury designer (LV or Chanel status and materials) or started more mid-range contemporary (Kate Spade or Michael Kors type of fast fashion)?

I ask because I have a vintage shoulder-carried bucket bag in their monogrammed canvas (same logo as the Triomphe bag) with leather trim, lining, and handles. It's a little worn in the handle attachments and one point of the yellow stitching around the opening has snapped. Is it worth it to have it professionally repaired? Or when it was purchased was it more of a fast-fashion/ mid-range price & material? Thanks so much.

@Sophia @Elliespurse

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know about the history of Celine as a brand? Specifically vintage price points and if the brand has always been a luxury designer (LV or Chanel status and materials) or started more mid-range contemporary (Kate Spade or Michael Kors type of fast fashion)?

I ask because I have a vintage shoulder-carried bucket bag in their monogrammed canvas (same logo as the Triomphe bag) with leather trim, lining, and handles. It's a little worn in the handle attachments and one point of the yellow stitching around the opening has snapped. Is it worth it to have it professionally repaired? Or when it was purchased was it more of a fast-fashion/ mid-range price & material? Thanks so much.

Early Celine bags, pre Philo, have no collectibility today in the resale market, though the all-leather bags were nice quality. The designs were mainly quotations of higher-tier brands, often imitating LV and Hermes. Repair if you want to keep and use it, but to sell you'd add expense you couldn't recover.

You can check Sold listings on eBay to see items like yours and their current pricing.

Early Celine, pre Philo, has no collectibility today in the resale market. The designs were mainly quotations of higher-tier brands. Repair if you want to keep and use it, but to sell you'd add expense you couldn't recover.

You can check Sold listings on eBay to see items like yours and their current pricing.
Thanks! I am referring more to the quality used back then than the resale value now. I would be keeping the bag either way. But I'm wondering when these were made were they not expected to last for decades? Is the material itself not worth repairing? Or was it created with the same craftmanship as vintage LV?

Do you mean the macadam PVC bags? Do you want to post pictures of the bag then other can assess and provide more insightful view?

I own a few vintage Celine items for the beauty I see in them not really the price point.

Do you mean the macadam PVC bags? Do you want to post pictures of the bag then other can assess and provide more insightful view?

I own a few vintage Celine items for the beauty I see in them not really the price point.
Yes that's right, it's a macadam bag. That's a great idea! I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight. :smile:

2qx39MZ.jpg

Can’t chip in on history but will say it’s a nice looking bag if a little outdated.If it makes you smile, repair and keep it (here on tpf u can find recommendations for repairs), just my 2 penny worth...

Reactions: Miraku