Celebrity Rehab w/ Dr Drew

...I heard Dr Drew say that he had a harder time treating these folks on celebrity rehab than any other addicts as they are spoiled and they have not hit rock bottom as some other addicts have.

I have mixed feelings about the show. As much as I think it educates people as to what addiction is and how hard it is to treat addicts and how important it is to understand all the aspects of this disease, having the cameras around makes me wonder how much an affect that has on people being truly honest. Because brutal honesty is paramount in recovery. Through all 3 of my DH's rehabs, because he is a successful professional musician, he ended up with a lot of other famous musicians and let me tell you, it was not much different from what you see on this show. Prima donnas galore. These are people that are used to having things done for them, having tour buses and planes waiting for them, being taken to the finest hotels and restaurants and all of a sudden, they are expected to clean a toilet at 7am with a toothbrush every morning. I am not kidding. Total humility, obedience, surrender and honesty is required in rehab. Its hard enough for a high profile addict to be expected to do the most menial tasks but to have a camera in your face to while you are doing it? Those are the things they don't show you because I am 100% positive none of them agreed to have that stuff video taped. I also wonder if having a camera in their face encourages them to go "drama queen" cause they are afterall, performers. They know they have an audience and they cannot help themselves. Jeff I think, abuses this more than anyone else.

I have mixed feelings about the show. As much as I think it educates people as to what addiction is and how hard it is to treat addicts and how important it is to understand all the aspects of this disease, having the cameras around makes me wonder how much an affect that has on people being truly honest. Because brutal honesty is paramount in recovery. Through all 3 of my DH's rehabs, because he is a successful professional musician, he ended up with a lot of other famous musicians and let me tell you, it was not much different from what you see on this show. Prima donnas galore. These are people that are used to having things done for them, having tour buses and planes waiting for them, being taken to the finest hotels and restaurants and all of a sudden, they are expected to clean a toilet at 7am with a toothbrush every morning. I am not kidding. Total humility, obedience, surrender and honesty is required in rehab. Its hard enough for a high profile addict to be expected to do the most menial tasks but to have a camera in your face to while you are doing it? Those are the things they don't show you because I am 100% positive none of them agreed to have that stuff video taped. I also wonder if having a camera in their face encourages them to go "drama queen" cause they are afterall, performers. They know they have an audience and they cannot help themselves. Jeff I think, abuses this more than anyone else.
Yes! Excellent point about the performers and the cameras. I think that is what Dr Drew is going through. I am not sure he will keep doing this show for that reason right there as he is serious and "all about the recovery" and I think perhaps he thinks the show at some times glamorizes recovery and sometimes ridicules it.

wow! he really looked like this? what a shame

attachment.php

I know Dr. Drew said"Originally he turned down the idea" for the exposure reason and then decided that if it could help a larger audience he would do it.

I saw Tawny last night on the Reality Show Surreal Life and it made me wonder if she was doing it just for the exposure-I know everyone Loves her and I like her but her emotional reactions sometimes don't ring genuine for me as much as drama/acting. I think it bothered Amber when she was sharing about sex 4 drugs and then Tawny came in and just feed upon Amber's anger towards her Mother-A healthier response might have been to support Amber's own words and not add to it KWIM???