CeeJay's BAL-a-palooza!! [Balenciaga Collection over time]

Another amazing recent find, and yet another prized "oldie". If you are familiar with Balenciaga bags, especially those from the earlier Chevre years, 2004 was by-far the best year for color saturation. The hues of the S/S and F/W seasons were just superb, and this is a good example of that .. a 2004 F/W Pistachio City! Amazeballs ..
2004 FW - Pistachio City.jpg

So, as I've mentioned before, as much as I LOVE the Hobo style, it just hasn't really worked out for me because it really lends itself to carrying a lot less than I normally do.

However, that hasn't deterred me from "trying" to use this style .. some Hobos/Besaces from the collection:

1) '08 Ruby Besace/Hobo - gorgeous but alas - sold

1249143247.jpg

2) '08 Anthra GGH Maxi Besace - still in the collection

1251241269.jpg
Hi, CeeJay! I am new and excited to be here. I just found an Anthra GGH Maxi Besace that looks exactly like yours! The leather is very thick and nice. Do you know if it is goat or lamb? I am a bit confused - with a little research I think it is FW 2008, which is when the leather changed. Also, how is the piping along the strap holding out, the one I received is still fine but might be breaking down a bit. I appreciate any intel on this bag and appreciate all the knowledge I have already received from reading your forums!!!

Hi, CeeJay! I am new and excited to be here. I just found an Anthra GGH Maxi Besace that looks exactly like yours! The leather is very thick and nice. Do you know if it is goat or lamb? I am a bit confused - with a little research I think it is FW 2008, which is when the leather changed. Also, how is the piping along the strap holding out, the one I received is still fine but might be breaking down a bit. I appreciate any intel on this bag and appreciate all the knowledge I have already received from reading your forums!!!
Oh wow .. I sold that many years ago; just found that the Hobo style didn't work for me. The Anthracite was a 2008 F/W color, so it's definitely Lambskin (Agneau), but .. interestingly enough, the '08 F/W leather was super thick & nice! Alas, I can't really speak to the piping; maybe try to post the question in the Hobo Group?

Wow, what a fast reply. I cannot believe how thick the leather is which is why I asked. Thank you so much! I am looking forward to becoming a Balenciaga collector and continuing to follow all of the wonderful people on this site!

I had had this bag way back in the day, but during my STUPIDITY times when I sold all my Cities to move up to the Part-Time bags, I sold this beauty. However, came across another one .. and could NOT resist. An interesting note about these old Metallic bags -
  1. The "original" season for them was the 2004/2005 Holiday collection
  2. The leather is actually not Chevre, but Lambskin with a metallic 'coating'
  3. The Hardware was "painted" the same color as the leather -AND- the inner (normally silver) tag was also painted the same color as the leather
  4. As such, you do need to be careful with these bags as the paint could chip off the hardware, but given my extensive collection, I don't use these that much .. they are for special occasions!
Enjoy - the 2004/2005 Holiday Collection - Rouge Metallic City ..
2004 Holiday Rouge Metallic v2.JPG

.. and last, but certainly NOT least .. the bag that started it all ~ ~ ** the 2001 1 (Spring/Summer) Le Dix Gold Label Flat Brass First ** ~~ THIS was the bag that Nicolas Ghesquière gave to the various Fashion Editors and started the whole "Motorcycle" Bag love!!!

I am particularly lucky in that, not only is this the original Le Dix .. but that this is Nappa Chevre leather (Nappa is a treatment of leather that makes it particularly buttery soft)!!! ENJOY ..
2001 1 - Gold Le Dix.jpg 2001 1 - Gold Le Dix Label.jpg

@CeeJay i stumbled into this forum around xmas after i read some blog about the 2000's coming back... and am now re-obsessed with these bags!

thanks to your posts i understand that i own some 2007 chevre leather! it's the only new bal i ever bought, at the old chelsea store in nyc. i think it's olive vert, tho it looks super brown so maybe truffle? tags are long gone. anyway, thank you for cluing me in!! i could have sold that baby on ebay for $50 in a desperate moment, lol. deep down, i think my intuition always knew i had something special. even after many brutal winters of abuse, she was a ride or die.

your collection is wonderful, and thank you for sharing all your knowledge!

Reactions: lbbolton
I had had this bag way back in the day, but during my STUPIDITY times when I sold all my Cities to move up to the Part-Time bags, I sold this beauty. However, came across another one .. and could NOT resist. An interesting note about these old Metallic bags -
  1. The "original" season for them was the 2004/2005 Holiday collection
  2. The leather is actually not Chevre, but Lambskin with a metallic 'coating'
  3. The Hardware was "painted" the same color as the leather -AND- the inner (normally silver) tag was also painted the same color as the leather
  4. As such, you do need to be careful with these bags as the paint could chip off the hardware, but given my extensive collection, I don't use these that much .. they are for special occasions!
Enjoy - the 2004/2005 Holiday Collection - Rouge Metallic City ..
View attachment 4374507
I love this bag, so special with the painted hardware!