Caviar lamb or smooth calfskin so black

Newbie2016

Nov 15, 2016
image.jpeg image.jpeg I think both look very nice and in some pictures I like the caviar and in others I like the smooth calf.... If you have them or have seen both in real life...what are your thoughts?

I have always loved the So Black bags :smile:

I have the smooth calf from this year ... almost bought the grained lamb from last year but there was a mixup at the boutique and it was sold to someone else.

I have seen comparison photos, and for some reason I prefer the smooth calf - no particular reason, I just do. that said I think both are lovely :smile:

Do you have the chance to purchase either one?

I was choosing between a smooth calf boy bag and the grained lamb boy earlier this year. I asked SA about durability and he said due to the way the lamb had been treated it would be more sturdy and resistant to scratches. This was his opinion as we know that was the first ever offering of grained lamb from Chanel.

When the grained lamb came out, I missed out.
I found out about it later when my SA told me that she bought one for herself.
I thought Chanel was going to release the grained lamb again for the C18 when my SA told me that the so black would come back for C18.
When I saw the smooth calf I did not like it as much since the quilts look deflated and not as puffy as the grained lamb?
Attached is the grained lamb that my SA has bought for herself.

Attachments

• LAMB.JPG
    LAMB.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 1,449
Reactions: cyrill
I have the grained lambskin so black boy. I love it. The hardware had the subtle iridescence to it that many have talked about and I do find the quilt more puffy than the calfskin (at least from photo since I have not seen in person).

Also I don’t know if grained lamb will be made again in the future but I am a fan so I like having one that’s more rare while durable :smile:

Reactions: Marleah
I have the calfskin from 18C and while I adore both versions, I was initially bummed about missing out on the 17S version. But I quickly realized how much I appreciate the versatility the calfskin boy brings to my collection. Since most of my bags are caviar, having one in smooth calf gives me a little variety as far as the look of the leather goes.

Reactions: Marleah
I'm really struggling with whether to return my matte calfskin in new medium. While the matte adds to the so black look, the lambskin does add a sort of wow factor. Too bad I missed it.

I have both the grained lambskin and calfskin so black boys in new medium. I love both equally...it’s really difficult for me to choose one. IMO, the calfskin is a bit more matte. But it’s still gorgeous in person.

Reactions: Vanana
I have both the grained lambskin and calfskin so black boys in new medium. I love both equally...it’s really difficult for me to choose one. IMO, the calfskin is a bit more matte. But it’s still gorgeous in person.

Do you find the matte calfskin scratches more easily? I've heard that from some people but my SA told me it would be durable

I have the so black calfskin boy in new medium from this season toi and while yes while the quilts are less “puffier” I actually liked the flatter look as I think it adds to the streamline of the boy bag. More masculine and edgy looking. The so black boy is gorgeous and is stunning to look at.

Reactions: ser42
I have the so black calfskin boy in new medium from this season toi and while yes while the quilts are less “puffier” I actually liked the flatter look as I think it adds to the streamline of the boy bag. More masculine and edgy looking. The so black boy is gorgeous and is stunning to look at.
Yep, I do think the matte gives it an edgier feel!

so I revisited this thread and saw some of the really great posts from so black boys calfskin owners too, and couldn’t resist posting a perspective that just came to mind that may be relevant for those still considering this comparison.

Here’s a way to look at this (full disclosure I’m a total hopeless addict and enabler so if you need something to just push you over the edge, here it is, read on :P)

Imo, chanel was able to successfully navigate its timeless elegance with modern edginess when certain boy bags were done right and totally demonstrate that vibe perfectly. You may prefer the grained lamb, you may prefer the calf, but heres the thing... no matter which one is avail if you look at each of these options on their own instead of comparing, seriously is it a problem?

I mean you may prefer grained lamb for durability, but if you love the so black boy for durability, is calf not durable? Other brands don’t offer caviar leather and we happily buy them in calfskin, so.... ? Calfskin also dials up the suppleness of the leather a bit look wise and that’s not a bad thing. The so black makes the boy bag look so edgy imo under both leather types and if you are lucky to locate one and love the so black line, is either one a bad choice really?
I personally prefer the grained lamb but I thought if I didn’t have one already and the calfskin shows up, honestly I don’t think I would turn it down because it wasn’t grained lamb :P
Just a thought.., and it seems like both grained lamb and calfskin Owners are quite happy with their so black boys so why not? Unless you see the calf or lamb and personally has a dislike of one specifically and it’s a matter of personal strong like or dislike ?