Cat's bad breath?

Glass box is normally only needed for ones that don't do well in office visits and the techs that work with the cat would be injured if they tried to restrain it.

I would suggest anesthesia (make sure they are blood tested to make sure nothing else is wrong prior to surgery) that way if they have to make an extraction of a tooth (mine did) that they are already under to make the process easier and less painful on the cat.

Your little Yorkie was in pain because she had teeth problems. It had gotten so bad that the vet had to remove 12 teeth! It isn't a matter of "putting your pet through" a painful procedure. It is absolutely necessary. It is the same as a person having a bad tooth and not doing anything about it. Can you imagine how painful that would be over time if left untreated? Our animals can't tell us how they are hurting. Breath mints are NOT the answer. You really need to take your cat to the vet to get this checked out.

And yes, unfortunately anesthesia is necessary to do a teeth cleaning for kitties and dogs too. I can totally understand if people don't want to spend the money because they can't afford it or something. But ultimately, our pets can't help themselves, so we have to do our best for them. If pets have problems that go untreated and neglected, they will have a shorter life.
^I understand that animals are helpless and can't speak for themselves. I would do anything possible to help out my pets. Don't get me wrong I understand the importance of good oral hygene for dogs. Unfortunately my previous yorkie passed away due to a tooth infection. I just feel MeiMei did not handle the anethesia very well and I am doing what I can so I can limit her teeth cleaning by the vet but if its absolutely necessary then yes I would have her put under to have her teeth clean.
As for Stitch he occasionally has bad breath and its not as stinky as MeiMei I was just wondering if there are any breath mints or something besides teeth cleaning that I can do for him.

I just picked up my kitty from a vet dental visit. I didn't like the smell of his breath last weekend and figured he needed his teeth checked and cleaned. Turns out he had a large, oozing what-looks-like-cancer mass in his mouth.

So if your cat's breath smells bad do get it checked out. It could be very serious.

Over the years I've had several cats that have lived to be old geezers (18 to 20 years old) and none have had teeth issues or needed cleanings--except for one. An orange tiger tabby. I've heard that orange tabbies are genetically predisposed to tartar problems and boy oh boy, this guy sure is. I have to take him in yearly for teeth cleaning otherwise his mouth turns into a swamp of decay.

I agree that you should bring your cat to the vet for a dental cleaning; and the sooner the better. One of my cats had bad breath and he went to get his teeth cleaned a few months ago and we got away lucky that none of his teeth needed to be extracted. The teeth cleaning alone was about $450CAD and the vet said that it was something like $300 per tooth if he needed extractions.

Also the vet also advised us that we should be brushing the cats teeth everyday. He said that if it's not done everyday, then you might as well not brush at all.. one of the other reasons why one of my cats had bad teeth is because he doesn't chew all of his dry food but my other cat with the good teeth chews his food to pieces before swallowing. So you might want to take notice if your cat is just swallowing his kibble or chewing it.

I hope this helps!

Take the cat to the vet, just in case. Continuos bad breath is not normal.

Sometimes Roxy has bad breath, but I noticed that it's because of the food. If we just give her soft food for some day, she get really bad breath. So now, we just give a minimum amount of this kind of food to her. Good that she prefer the cookies anyway. ;)

Get Stitch's teeth checked at the vet's. If needed get them cleaned and yes Stitch will need a ga for the op, because there's just no way you could clean a cat's teeth if they are awake. Another good way to keep teeth clean is given them a raw chicken wing of thigh once or twice a week. The chicken's got to be raw as the bones will split and hurt them when cooked. Just make sure the chicken is the best quality you can buy.
Btw very pretty cat :smile:

^Thank you Beany I'll be sure to pass down the compliment to Stitch. Anyway thanks all for the advice I guess bottom line I need to have his Vet check his teeth out to make sure everything is ok. I am just weary because of my past experience with MeiMei. Oh well in the meantime I am looking into some breath mints for him.

I noticed that my older cat Contessa had a bad breath and her corner teeth became yellowish when she was about 6-7 months old. Vet recommended cleaning, but the problem was I don't want my little girl to be sedated at all, we've been through so much already with the moving, her broken leg, several surgeries, etc.
So, long story short, when we met the breeder of our second kitten, she advised Oxyfresh gel. There is also Oxyfresh oral solution and I'm not sure what else, there is a a web page with the same name, oxyfresh.
Since putting gel in Contessa's mouth is out of question whatsoever, I use Oxyfresh solution, I add it to her drinking water and voila! No bad breath, no yellow teeth, no stress for her, just perfect.

Last edited:
I believe some cats are more prone to caries and periodontal disease than other cats. Nevertheless, I monitor my cats' diet and brush their teeth at least 2-3 times a week. I also routinely check their mouth for calculus, gingival inflammation, caries, etc.

I missed this thead when it was started back in February, but I still want to take the opportunity to stress how important it is to talk with your vet about anesthesia for a cat. My cat died as a result of over-inflating the cuff on the tracheal tube when he was anesthetized for dental work. I subsequently learned that some vets use tracheal tubes without cuffs, or even no tracheal tube at all, when dealing with cats and their narrow trachea. Please be sure you find out what will be done, who will be doing it, and that you are comfortable with it before you hand your kitty over, even for "routine" procedures.

I noticed that my older cat Contessa had a bad breath and her corner teeth became yellowish when she was about 6-7 months old. Vet recommended cleaning, but the problem was I don't want my little girl to be sedated at all, we've been through so much already with the moving, her broken leg, several surgeries, etc.
So, long story short, when we met the breeder of our second kitten, she advised Oxyfresh gel. There is also Oxyfresh oral solution and I'm not sure what else, there is a a web page with the same name, oxyfresh.
Since putting gel in Contessa's mouth is out of question whatsoever, I use Oxyfresh solution, I add it to her drinking water and voila! No bad breath, no yellow teeth, no stress for her, just perfect.

hi, where did you get the oxyfresh oral solution? i saw it on the website but didn't see any in the store. may be the petco i went was not big enough. i really want to try this for my cat for preventive reason.

omg what they told you about the glass box, i would think the same thing. imagine someone is distracted and does grab wrong gas..

maybe try to go somewhere where they do it like another poster said through an IV in the leg..