Cat-Burglar

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
I'm turning to you guys coz you really are the experts :flowers:

My cats are usually very well behaved but today one of my (2) cats has the skills of an escapologist, for instance, today he broke into the cat food cupboard not once but every time he was left alone for a minute.

I think it's a challenge hunting game to him, he can open most doors that he can pull towards himself, he open 2 sets of curtains to jump on the window ledge, he's not allowed out at night but if he can he'll whizz out the front door as someone leaves or enters, jumps 3 fences and flies through a neighbour's side passage back over 3 fences, to the back garden (which is where he wants to go) then meow to come in the back window.

1. This cat is well fed and fed 3 X day 08:00, 12:00 and 18:00. He eats it all eventually but there are on or two pellets left. If either of the cats is actually hungry they come to tell me by climbing on me and kneading their feet on me (usually only happens first thing in the morning if I'm late to rise). Actually, I would say my other cat is the greedier of the two, this one will wait to be fed patiently in his feeding place. I think he has just found a new 'game'.

2. Someone is at home nearly everyday with him. He has a garden and the whole of the house to run play in, 3 litter trays, groomed (when allowed to) toys (and played with) etc so it's certainly not lack of attention.

3. He can not usually open the cat cupboard when closed properly because there is no side-lip to the door but he has suddenly found a way to open the draw on the top which slightly pulls open the door below.

4. Once in the cupboard, he's gashed open his favourite bags on the bottom to let all the food spill out (and we are talking about big bags).

I didn't 'discipline' him, I just told him he was a naughty boy, cleared up, closed everything then taped the draw shut (I know that won't last long, he'll scratch it off the minute he's alone again)

Please can you tell how to nip this in the bud (he can be quite habitual)? Are there any other tips from your experience? Have you had a cat like this?

:biggrin:To be honest, I have never managed to discipline my cats. My previous one was not allowed on the new sofa, but what she did was to simply get on it when I was out. ( I know that as every time I walked in there would be loud thump as she heard me coming. She would be standing innocently in front of the sofa, but you could see the indent her weight had left on the feather pillows!) :biggrin:
My new kitten is allowed to do anything she wants, except go on the kitchen counters. So far my husband just says to her in a stern voice: 'I am disappointed !' And immediately she jumps off.:biggrin: so I would also like to hear from other members who had more success.

For some cats, it's part of their makeup (one of ours has never met a cupboard or drawer she didn't want to explore).

You likely won't break him of the habit, so try redirecting it. The Cat guy on TV (Jackson Galaxy) uses toys that allow the cat to figure out a way to manipulate the toy to get the treat. They get to hunt and then kill their "prey" (ie. a temptations treat).

I would go a decent pet store, explain the situation and ask them what they have.

:biggrin:To be honest, I have never managed to discipline my cats. My previous one was not allowed on the new sofa, but what she did was to simply get on it when I was out. ( I know that as every time I walked in there would be loud thump as she heard me coming. She would be standing innocently in front of the sofa, but you could see the indent her weight had left on the feather pillows!) :biggrin:
My new kitten is allowed to do anything she wants, except go on the kitchen counters. So far my husband just says to her in a stern voice: 'I am disappointed !' And immediately she jumps off.:biggrin: so I would also like to hear from other members who had more success.

:lolots: Animals are so clever and funny too. That is pretty advanced, what a shame she couldn't cover her tracks LOL.

It reminds me of a huge dog I used to look after years ago, he wasn't allowed in the living room at all, so if I came in he would hide. He thought if he couldn't see me then I wouldn't be able to see him. With only his head and shoulders under a small table or behind a curtain I could see his massive black bottom and tail sticking out. I would call his name and he would pretend he wasn't there, then I would lower my voice and say his name slowly and he would c r a w l out and then try to lick his way out of trouble. Ah, he was so funny and a darling. I am better with dogs I think, cats don't even pretend to listen :biggrin:

Does you DH make house calls? He could make a fortune!

Update: Where one leads, the other will follow. Both caught red-handed at dawn this morning attempting breaking and entering (actually, entering and breaking, but let's not split cat-hairs LOL)

I reinforced boundaries straight after. I am keeping both little darlings out of the kitchen completely so the 'mastermind' will hopefully develop another obsession somewhere else and not escalate yesterdays 'incident' into a habit.

For some cats, it's part of their makeup (one of ours has never met a cupboard or drawer she didn't want to explore).

You likely won't break him of the habit, so try redirecting it. The Cat guy on TV (Jackson Galaxy) uses toys that allow the cat to figure out a way to manipulate the toy to get the treat. They get to hunt and then kill their "prey" (ie. a temptations treat).

I would go a decent pet store, explain the situation and ask them what they have.

I have a nice pet store just don the road so I will check it out this weekend thanks :flowers:

I think he will love it. Are there any brands or types of those toys that you would recommend (or think I should stay clear of)?

I need to Youtube Mr. Galaxy too.

With mine it is open doors. There are a few places here that have been put off limits to kitties. Like my closet and office. Or the kitchen door that leads to the outside world. I enclosed my patio so they have a large area to lounge outside. I can leave a door open for a matter of a few seconds and there will be at least one cat sneaking in. Really bad things happen when I inadvertently shut tem in so before I go out I have to count noses.

With mine it is open doors. There are a few places here that have been put off limits to kitties. Like my closet and office. Or the kitchen door that leads to the outside world. I enclosed my patio so they have a large area to lounge outside. I can leave a door open for a matter of a few seconds and there will be at least one cat sneaking in. Really bad things happen when I inadvertently shut them in so before I go out I have to count noses.

:lol: I can imagine, I have more than enough trouble with just 2

i have nothing to contribute but i want to say that's a very smart cat....you just need to out smart him...:Push: very cute story..:P

I think you are absolutely right juneping but I fear I'm not going to manage it...

...in fact he is probably on-line somewhere on another computer, chatting to his friends and asking for tips on how to discipline his bossy, slightly dumb, pet human, who keeps spoiling his advanced hunting games

and yes, that is actually him (probably hacking into my tpf account to see what I've been spending his treat-money on) :biggrin:

dini2.jpg

aw...he's so adorable....:heart:

Thank you juneping, I have to agree with you :yes: He was certainly a very good boy today

This thread is too funny!

After I've forgotten all the clearing up and worry about where he's got too I must say I do laugh a lot.

Yesterday my 6' BF said "Who's this?" and did an impersonation of our cat playing with a paper bag (he launches into them like a rocket and then tears them up from the inside, before I could answer our cat came in and did exactly the same thing, I laughed till it hurt :roflmfao:

If it makes you feel better one of my cats has developed a strange fascination with my Beauty Blender sponge. Even when I zipped it away in my makeup case he was still trying to get at it. I wouldn't have been surprised if he chewed through the case to get it (he has chewed through my bra straps before) so I put it in a drawer instead. This morning I left it out to dry and came home to find it mutilated on the floor.Maybe he doesn't like pink?

Aw. What a cute smart kitty. Mine occasionally go after the food storage containers. We keep the bags in a wheeled plastic bin with a locking lid and some loose kibble in another locked plastic bin. The bins are like these: http://www.petfoodexpress.com/products/detail/van-ness-food-storage-containers I think part of what mine like so much is chewing on the plastic bag that the food comes int.

I think if you make it inaccessible so there is no food reward he'll go looking for something else to mess with. Maybe with that + a new toy or playing he'll lose interest.