Cartier Watch Service - beware!

Murberry

Mar 31, 2017
I recently bought a vintage 18k yellow gold Cartier Panthère watch completely set with diamonds (bracelet, case and dial) at an auction. Some of the diamonds were loose and the watch did not run. A local Cartier dealer (I am in the Netherlands) sent the watch to Cartier for me, together with my Must the Cartier watch that needed a battery replacement (always ran perfectly on time). It would take about 2-3 weeks to get a quote and 8 weeks for the repair, they guessed. After 2,5 weeks the dealer phoned me and told me Cartier would not touch the diamond setting, because they claimed it was not factory, but they were willing to service the watch. Because they found moisture in the (quartz) movement, it needed a full service, and with that they would replace the blue hands, that they claimed to be oxidized, for free. Also they would replace the (gold) lunet screws, because they were not factory as well. Total cost: €750,-. If I choose to have the -according to them - damaged backscrews replaced, it would be an additional €80,-
But, to have the work done, I had to agree to them replacing my diamond encrusted sunburst dial with a plain white (with black numbers) one, because 'they do not want these watches to exist', so I was told. Only after special request from the dealer and some consideration they would let me get my diamond dial back, but they would disable it to prevent I would have it replaced in the watch. I then decided to have the watch returned to me unrepaired, together with my Must de Cartier that according to Cartier needed a new crown and therefore a complete service à €470. Because you can buy these watches vintage between €500-€800, I didn't think it was worth it.

Once I got my watches back (paid €60 'research costs' for the Must, the dealer was so kind to not charge me for the Panthère because she felt they did not offer me a real solution), I was checking the back of the Panthère for the damaged screws Cartier had mentioned. I did not see what they meant, but once I compared the watch to the pictures I took before sending in the watches, I noticed the screws seemed untouched. Untouched as exactly the same screw with the same tiny screwdriver marks in exactly the same spot in the same position. Then I checked my Must watch and it was the same: the screws appeared untouched. I did some research and every source told me the same story: if the watches were indeed opened up this is impossible. So my watches were both never opened yet Cartier made claims about the watches needing full service and charged me €750 and €470, or €60 research costs per watch. I called the manager at my local dealer and she told me a long long story that high end watchmakers take photo's of the watch and put every screw back in exactly the same position because some customers won't accept a change of one hundreth of a millimeter (she really said that!) and that she was very sure the watches had been opened or she would tell me and that she could ask for the photo's but she wasn't sure they would still have them because of privacy reasons. Uhuh. 'If you can't convince them, confuse them.' (if still in doubt, read this article about screws in watches and why they are never aligned in the first place, and that their position will change every time they are opened because of slight changes in torque from every watchmaker https://www.salonqp.com/updates/watch-culture/roger-smith-dial-screws/)

Three days later I took the watches to a watchmaker. He put the Panthère watch under a camera with a microscope so I could see it on a big televisionscreen. There was no oxidation on the hands. He then opened the watch and told me it hadn't been opened for a while, because dead skin cells fell of when he opened it (which is completely normal but not when it has been opened and not worn again). There was no moisture in the movement, but some very light tarnish was visible on the battery only (it might have been empty for years?). He replaced the battery and we waited 20 breathtaking seconds for the 'pulse' that showed the movement was working. It worked, and it worked fine. The watchmaker did some lubrication where needed, and made the bracelet to size for me, all while I was waiting. After about one hour of work and talking he charged me €48 and I left his shop with my lovely watch working.

My Must de Cartier watch (and the Tag Heuer I also brought with me) both were ready one week later, and I was charged €28 for a battery-exchange for the Must. It was checked (no further service needed) and tested to be waterproof as well. It runs perfectly. The watchmaker told me this watch also had not been opened for quite some time...

Now everyone reading this story can draw their own conclusion of what happened here and decide whether they want to bring their watches to Cartier for 'service' or take them to a real watchmaker (maybe I should add that 'full service' for a quartz movement means Cartier throws out the old movement and replaces it with a new one. Why? Because you don't need very well trained people (aka real watchmakers) to do this, so it's cheaper than actually servicing these watches).
If you enjoy being lied to and ripped off excessively and you don't know what to do with all your money, then go ahead and take them to Cartier, you won't be dissapointed. If not, opt for a good watchmaker.

The worst part for me was realizing I would have done it. Had they charged me €1200-1300 for 'servicing' this watch and repair and check the diamond setting, I would have happily paid for it. Because it is Cartier. Because you don't expect this kind of practice from a reputable company. You just don't think they need it. I took the Panthère to a goldsmith who send it to a first class diamond setter, 2,5 weeks later the work was done and I paid €120. Got that? We fool ourselves justifying these ridiculous prices they charge, we let them get away with it, BECAUSE IT'S CARTIER. They know best, right?

Dear Cartier, I LOVE your designs, your watches, your jewellery, please focus on what you do best and make your profit there, instead of ripping people off with made-up 'research' and overexpensive repairs that are just unneccesary. It would make us all feel so much better about your brand. Now wouldn't that help with your sales? (I switched to buying Tiffany & Co).

I will share this experience all over the internet, on every watch forum etc. because I DON'T enjoy being lied to, I can think of nicer ways to spend my money , and I guess there are many people like me out there. But most of all, people should know who they are dealing with. Truth needs to be told.

I recently bought a vintage 18k yellow gold Cartier Panthère watch completely set with diamonds (bracelet, case and dial) at an auction. Some of the diamonds were loose and the watch did not run. A local Cartier dealer (I am in the Netherlands) sent the watch to Cartier for me, together with my Must the Cartier watch that needed a battery replacement (always ran perfectly on time). It would take about 2-3 weeks to get a quote and 8 weeks for the repair, they guessed. After 2,5 weeks the dealer phoned me and told me Cartier would not touch the diamond setting, because they claimed it was not factory, but they were willing to service the watch. Because they found moisture in the (quartz) movement, it needed a full service, and with that they would replace the blue hands, that they claimed to be oxidized, for free. Also they would replace the (gold) lunet screws, because they were not factory as well. Total cost: €750,-. If I choose to have the -according to them - damaged backscrews replaced, it would be an additional €80,-
But, to have the work done, I had to agree to them replacing my diamond encrusted sunburst dial with a plain white (with black numbers) one, because 'they do not want these watches to exist', so I was told. Only after special request from the dealer and some consideration they would let me get my diamond dial back, but they would disable it to prevent I would have it replaced in the watch. I then decided to have the watch returned to me unrepaired, together with my Must de Cartier that according to Cartier needed a new crown and therefore a complete service à €470. Because you can buy these watches vintage between €500-€800, I didn't think it was worth it.

Once I got my watches back (paid €60 'research costs' for the Must, the dealer was so kind to not charge me for the Panthère because she felt they did not offer me a real solution), I was checking the back of the Panthère for the damaged screws Cartier had mentioned. I did not see what they meant, but once I compared the watch to the pictures I took before sending in the watches, I noticed the screws seemed untouched. Untouched as exactly the same screw with the same tiny screwdriver marks in exactly the same spot in the same position. Then I checked my Must watch and it was the same: the screws appeared untouched. I did some research and every source told me the same story: if the watches were indeed opened up this is impossible. So my watches were both never opened yet Cartier made claims about the watches needing full service and charged me €750 and €470, or €60 research costs per watch. I called the manager at my local dealer and she told me a long long story that high end watchmakers take photo's of the watch and put every screw back in exactly the same position because some customers won't accept a change of one hundreth of a millimeter (she really said that!) and that she was very sure the watches had been opened or she would tell me and that she could ask for the photo's but she wasn't sure they would still have them because of privacy reasons. Uhuh. 'If you can't convince them, confuse them.' (if still in doubt, read this article about screws in watches and why they are never aligned in the first place, and that their position will change every time they are opened because of slight changes in torque from every watchmaker https://www.salonqp.com/updates/watch-culture/roger-smith-dial-screws/)

Three days later I took the watches to a watchmaker. He put the Panthère watch under a camera with a microscope so I could see it on a big televisionscreen. There was no oxidation on the hands. He then opened the watch and told me it hadn't been opened for a while, because dead skin cells fell of when he opened it (which is completely normal but not when it has been opened and not worn again). There was no moisture in the movement, but some very light tarnish was visible on the battery only (it might have been empty for years?). He replaced the battery and we waited 20 breathtaking seconds for the 'pulse' that showed the movement was working. It worked, and it worked fine. The watchmaker did some lubrication where needed, and made the bracelet to size for me, all while I was waiting. After about one hour of work and talking he charged me €48 and I left his shop with my lovely watch working.

My Must de Cartier watch (and the Tag Heuer I also brought with me) both were ready one week later, and I was charged €28 for a battery-exchange for the Must. It was checked (no further service needed) and tested to be waterproof as well. It runs perfectly. The watchmaker told me this watch also had not been opened for quite some time...

Now everyone reading this story can draw their own conclusion of what happened here and decide whether they want to bring their watches to Cartier for 'service' or take them to a real watchmaker (maybe I should add that 'full service' for a quartz movement means Cartier throws out the old movement and replaces it with a new one. Why? Because you don't need very well trained people (aka real watchmakers) to do this, so it's cheaper than actually servicing these watches).
If you enjoy being lied to and ripped off excessively and you don't know what to do with all your money, then go ahead and take them to Cartier, you won't be dissapointed. If not, opt for a good watchmaker.

The worst part for me was realizing I would have done it. Had they charged me €1200-1300 for 'servicing' this watch and repair and check the diamond setting, I would have happily paid for it. Because it is Cartier. Because you don't expect this kind of practice from a reputable company. You just don't think they need it. I took the Panthère to a goldsmith who send it to a first class diamond setter, 2,5 weeks later the work was done and I paid €120. Got that? We fool ourselves justifying these ridiculous prices they charge, we let them get away with it, BECAUSE IT'S CARTIER. They know best, right?

Dear Cartier, I LOVE your designs, your watches, your jewellery, please focus on what you do best and make your profit there, instead of ripping people off with made-up 'research' and overexpensive repairs that are just unneccesary. It would make us all feel so much better about your brand. Now wouldn't that help with your sales? (I switched to buying Tiffany & Co).

I will share this experience all over the internet, on every watch forum etc. because I DON'T enjoy being lied to, I can think of nicer ways to spend my money , and I guess there are many people like me out there. But most of all, people should know who they are dealing with. Truth needs to be told.

Thank you for sharing this experience. I recently felt obliged to swallow a $700 service on my white gold tank Americaine. I will think twice next time based on your experience.

Thank you for sharing this experience. I recently felt obliged to swallow a $700 service on my white gold tank Americaine. I will think twice next time based on your experience.

Thank you for your message. $700 is a lot of money for servicing a quarz movement, especially once you know they just replace it with a new one (I bought a brand new, authentic, sealed Cartier movement for my Panthère online, not knowing if it was needed but the watchmaker told me it was a good idea anyway to keep a spare, because these movements are not the best quality. The movement cost me les than $200, and then there was at least one person making a profit of it, so imagine what these movements cost to Cartier. On the other hand, if your Tank Americaine is an automatic, it is a different story, as I do think these are actually serviced. The question remains though if the full service was really neccesary, or it would have been sufficient to replace the battery.

Reactions: 880 and same99
Thank you for your message. $700 is a lot of money for servicing a quarz movement, especially once you know they just replace it with a new one (I bought a brand new, authentic, sealed Cartier movement for my Panthère online, not knowing if it was needed but the watchmaker told me it was a good idea anyway to keep a spare, because these movements are not the best quality. The movement cost me les than $200, and then there was at least one person making a profit of it, so imagine what these movements cost to Cartier. On the other hand, if your Tank Americaine is an automatic, it is a different story, as I do think these are actually serviced. The question remains though if the full service was really neccesary, or it would have been sufficient to replace the battery.

My tank is automatic, not quartz. As you said, I still do wonder if it was really necessary. They claimed it was not simply the battery as they tried that first. I still have my doubts but felt obliged to only because the service extended the warranty on the watch.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this! just FYI, I think it was in the late 80s or 90s, Cartier Watch repair service (or something like that) had a class action law suit. I had my tank and diamond panther cleaned and I think it was about $300-500 total. Several months later, I got a GC from Cartier for $300! that was given to everyone that used their service in a specific time frame. After that, I gathered they cleaned up their act and gotten better, but looks like they slowly went back to their old bad ways. Now, whenever I need any watch repairs, I take them to my local watch repair shop, and I feel good that I'm supporting local businesses of old fashion skills.

Thank you for sharing your story. I recently dropped off my Cartier Tank for battery replacement. I've only used it for 1 year or so and it stopped working. However I got it from Jomashop which is not an AD, so I didn't have the Cartier warranty. The watch was brand new when I got it, so I figure it's just a battery change. After 4 weeks I was quoted $560 Canadian Dollar because they "found that the inside of the watch needs maintenance". Thank goodness I read your story because now I am suspicious of their assessment. I turned down this service from Cartier. Once the watch is returned to me, I shall bring it to a trusted watch repair shop and see what they can do.

Reactions: 880
Cartier’s policy is that with any work a full service has to be done. I tried to get the scratches buffed out of mine but they would only do it with a full service. Also, if they suspect water damage then they require a replacement of the second hand etc. It doesn’t sound like anything they suggested would require opening the watch to see. It was just the adding up of “automatic” charges. Sounds like the Manager was handing you a load of hooey.

It’s super annoying. As if their policy that, if you want your band changed out, they will keep the old band. I almost got caught on that one as well.

Cartier did this to me too. Their service prices are 10x what a skilled private watchmaker would charge??. It is “grip n rip” charges and I also found they insist on “interventions” that are not necessary. For the same watch I took it to 2 Cartier boutiques in different countries. They assessed that there were different “mandatory” interventions. But amazingly the same total price! I love the classic designs but the services charging model are very disappointing.

Thanks for sharing. Sad to hear this kind of practice about a company I like their jewelry and watches so much...
I once waited 2 hours to have a Tiffany ring polished free of charge and it came back looking exactly the same. It was nice of them to give me a polishing cloth for free, but for my 2 hours on vacation, I would have rather be doing something else (they told me it was going to take 15 minutes).

Dear Murberry,
Thank you for sharing. I have the same problem with my Cartier watch. Could you please introduce me that watchmaker so that i can replace the battery and check up my watch? (i am in the Netherlands too).
Many thanks,

Oh dear, thanks for the post here. I almost to pay SGD$525 for my Tank Française watch for full servicing. Thank you for the information here‍♀

Thanks for sharing. So sad it happened to you but at least you had your watches well fixed. My cousin bought her ballon bleu 8,9 years ago and ran out of battery in less than the first two years, so she took it to her local watch repair store after checking the service with Cartier boutique, had the battery replaced for like around AU$20 battery, it still runs today. The watchmaker said that the original battery in the watch wasn’t used with any great quality one. And that really shocked me so I turned to Rolex for my first watch.

Reactions: 880
Oh my
I need the clasp repaired/replaced on my Panthere
I always took it to Ben Bridge as they were "authorized". Now that Cartier has opened a stand alone boutique around the corner from them they are no longer.
Terrific
Not