Cartier tank: yay or nay?

Buy a replica and call it a day.

Please let's no go there. I'm sure you meant well but replica is just a big no no in my book. Either I can save enough and get myself a nice luxury watch in the lower price point range (ie tank solo or pm tank française) and hopefully be satisfied with the way it works, or I'll just get myself a nice tissot or seiko and call it a day. It just won't do for a nice 'keep it forever" milestone bday present but that's another story.
But getting a replica anything, be it a watch, a piece of jewelry or a bag would leave a sour taste in my mouth. I know some people don't mind. I do. To each their own...

Veteran here - have had my Tank Francaise for almost 9 years. Adore it so much and it's been so reliable. I don't do my services through Cartier, but through another very reputable watch repair shop. Much less expensive. I pay only $30-$50 for a battery change. Expect to pay around $300 after years and years to have the watch cleaned and serviced. For me, I JUST had to do that last year. This watch will simply never go out of style and is perfect for nearly every occasion. Love, love love it!!!

Veteran here - have had my Tank Francaise for almost 9 years. Adore it so much and it's been so reliable. I don't do my services through Cartier, but through another very reputable watch repair shop. Much less expensive. I pay only $30-$50 for a battery change. Expect to pay around $300 after years and years to have the watch cleaned and serviced. For me, I JUST had to do that last year. This watch will simply never go out of style and is perfect for nearly every occasion. Love, love love it!!!

Thank you Greentea for sharing your experience. Exactly what I needed: the input of a "veteran"! And I like what I'm reading! ;)

Hi,

I just wanted to add that it is definitely not 400 for a battery change...that is the complete service. The battery change is 40-60 dollars, from cartier, cheaper elsewhere. Also, although the tank is quartz operated, it is very high end quartz movement, with the same level of movement decoration as the automatic watches they have (it is also at the same level of quality as JLC quartz). I am not sure why quartz gets such a bad rap, but it really does. Interestingly, the cartier quartz movements are actually produced IN-HOUSE (which is something watch snobs swoon over), unlike 99% of their automatic and manual movements.

Hi,

I just wanted to add that it is definitely not 400 for a battery change...that is the complete service. The battery change is 40-60 dollars, from cartier, cheaper elsewhere. Also, although the tank is quartz operated, it is very high end quartz movement, with the same level of movement decoration as the automatic watches they have (it is also at the same level of quality as JLC quartz). I am not sure why quartz gets such a bad rap, but it really does. Interestingly, the cartier quartz movements are actually produced IN-HOUSE (which is something watch snobs swoon over), unlike 99% of their automatic and manual movements.

That makes more sense. My SIL has a Boucheron and that's about what she paid to get her battery changed there.

I didn't know that about the quartz movement! My brother keeps telling me "they are jewelers not watch makers" I didn't know it was the same quality as JLC. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for you input.
My brother is a watch fan too and we've already had that conversation. Though he admits his rolex doesn't keep time too well… But I understand how some people would feel strongly about putting that kind of money toward a battery operated watch.
BTW the tank does come in automatic, though it's the larger model.

Unfortunately I can't fit a tank automatic or a rolex in my budget. And if I could I would probably get a JLC anyway. :biggrin:

You know what, that's exactly my thought now!

I adore my Cartier, it's the tank francais ladies small two tone. I've had it for nearly 6 years and never had a problem.

I don't go to Cartier for battery changes or servicing though - there is a really wonderful antique jeweller/vintage watch dealer near my work who does that for me. For me, it's not the cost of servicing with Cartier so much (although I acknowledge it's a big hit) but the fact that they have to send my watch away as there's no Cartier boutique in my city. Too annoying IMO.

I've had my small Cartier Tank Francaise (alligator strap) for more than 12 years now. I don't wear it as often as I used to because I have other watches to rotate, but I never feel it is out of style. I am thinking about getting a different color strap for a change.
It's been serviced completely once or twice. I have it done at the Cartier main store in Manhattan.

Buy a replica and call it a day.

Please let's no go there. I'm sure you meant well but replica is just a big no no in my book. Either I can save enough and get myself a nice luxury watch in the lower price point range (ie tank solo or pm tank française) and hopefully be satisfied with the way it works, or I'll just get myself a nice tissot or seiko and call it a day. It just won't do for a nice 'keep it forever" milestone bday present but that's another story.
But getting a replica anything, be it a watch, a piece of jewelry or a bag would leave a sour taste in my mouth. I know some people don't mind. I do. To each their own...

I agree with you that a replica for a Birthday present might not be appropriate.
I just don't believe as a principle to get something so expensive that other things in life have to be sacrificed.
Since you mentioned in your OP that you use your cell as a time keeper, would you really enjoy a watch?
In any case, good luck with your decision.

Hi ladies,
I need your help in deciding whether to get a tank for a coming milestone birthday or not.

I’ll be 40 in a little over 18 months. I have been thinking on what to get and fell in love with the Cartier tank. Either the SS solo or SS tank française in the pm. Getting either means saving like crazy, and asking for money for coming bday and Xmases to add up to what I’ll be able to put aside.

Here is my dilemma: I’ve read all the threads I could find re the Cartier tank. And lots of them have been like a cold shower :sad:. Mainly tpfers disappointed in their watch because they aren’t reliable, and service that seemed overpriced.

I don’t mind the saving part. I’ll even stop buying Hermès scarves to get this watch (which says a lot :P).

But I expect a reliable watch that keeps the time and doesn’t need to be taken back to Cartier every few months or so. (Once every two year for battery change seems more my thing) Am I deluding myself? Does getting a tank mean extra care / hassle and (given what I expect from a watch) disappointment?

Should I get a less expensive quartz watch (right now I use my iphone if I want to know the time) and use the money for something else (maybe a small diamond pendant)?

Any help/opinion/suggestion is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading me.

I had the opposite experience with Cartier. I got my Cartier Tank (two-tone) for my 40th birthday. Prior to that, I have been a Rolex owner (I have a SS Datejust with MOP dial and diamond markers) and although the watch is very pretty, it never kept proper time (and neither does my DHs Rolex). I am SO happy with my Cartier Tank. I've had it serviced (regular maintenance) and had no issues with the Service dept. I consider it an upgrade from my Rolex:smile:
Oh, and I agree about the replica - it was an awful suggestion and shouldn't have even been thrown out there for consideration as far as I'm concerned...

Reactions: Lovelynadine
image-3991541077.jpg

I love my small MOP tank, just wish I had the bigger size! Keeps great time, but a lot of $$ for maintenance but I think all high end watches are like that. I think it's such a classic look!

I had the opposite experience with Cartier. I got my Cartier Tank (two-tone) for my 40th birthday. Prior to that, I have been a Rolex owner (I have a SS Datejust with MOP dial and diamond markers) and although the watch is very pretty, it never kept proper time (and neither does my DHs Rolex). I am SO happy with my Cartier Tank. I've had it serviced (regular maintenance) and had no issues with the Service dept. I consider it an upgrade from my Rolex:smile:
Oh, and I agree about the replica - it was an awful suggestion and shouldn't have even been thrown out there for consideration as far as I'm concerned...

Thank you vhdos, on both counts!;)
And it's not the first time I've read something about Rolex not keeping time. :tdown:

Do it! I bought myself a steel/black alligator strap tank solo recently & love it. I plan on using it for many years to come ;)

Do you by any chance know why there's such a price difference between the tank pm and the solo? (over 1000€ between the two) When I read the description on the site I can't see why. I've read a thread about it but there was no clear answer...