Cartier Tank Francaise vs Rolex Date Just

elisa_p

O.G.
Dec 26, 2007
Hi everyone,

I’m more of a lurker than a poster but I save a dilemma and need opinions! I am treating myself (with my parents help) to a luxury watch which will be my first. I have narrowed it down to two very different choices but cannot figure out which one to get. I have fairly small wrists and my style is pretty classic.

So it’s either the TF in small two tone (pink gold) with diamonds as the markers or the Rolex date just two tone (everride) and oyster bracelet with sundust as the dial colour. Size is 28.

http://www.cartier.com/en-us/collec...-française/we110004-tank-française-watch.html

https://m.rolex.com/watches/datejust/m279161-0002.html#configurator

I honestly love both but ty Cartier is def more understated while the Rolex is more “flashy” and sits bigger on my wrists. In terms of cost they are roughly around the same range. What would you all go for? Should I go for the Rolex as it retains value better? Please help! This will likely be my watch for quite a while as I can’t afford to get another one for a number of years. So that makes it even harder to make a decision.

Both are cute. My first watch was similar rolex. Now I actually looking at tank...
Hi everyone,

I’m more of a lurker than a poster but I save a dilemma and need opinions! I am treating myself (with my parents help) to a luxury watch which will be my first. I have narrowed it down to two very different choices but cannot figure out which one to get. I have fairly small wrists and my style is pretty classic.

So it’s either the TF in small two tone (pink gold) with diamonds as the markers or the Rolex date just two tone (everride) and oyster bracelet with sundust as the dial colour. Size is 28.

http://www.cartier.com/en-us/collec...-française/we110004-tank-française-watch.html

I honestly love both but ty Cartier is def more understated while the Rolex is more “flashy” and sits bigger on my wrists. In terms of cost they are roughly around the same range. What would you all go for? Should I go for the Rolex as it retains value better? Please help! This will likely be my watch for quite a while as I can’t afford to get another one for a number of years. So that makes it even harder to make a decision.

Love the Rolex! The rosegold is more noticeable than on the Cartier and I love the smooth bezel! To my eye, the Cartier looks like a less substantial watch. What about the movements? Is the TF a quartz watch vs the Rolex being automatic? That right there would also make me lean towards the Rolex.

I love the Tank, but it is a quartz movement, and I just couldn't justify paying such a high price for a quartz movement. I have 2 Rolexes and I love them. Also, Rolex holds its price a lot better than Cartier watches do. Check out resale sites or ebay and see how much Cartier depreciates, just as another thing to consider.
I LOVE the everose DJ! I 1000% think go for the Rolex!

Both watches are lovely, but I would go for the Rolex.

The brushed finish on the Cartier watch makes the already understated two-tone even less noticeable; and with a quick glance, it could easily be mistaken for the stainless steel version. With the Rolex, you can easily tell that the watch is a two-tone.

Cartier is a wonderful world-renowned brand known for jewelry and to a lesser extent watches. Rolex is known for excellent quality watches.

In addition, I also think that the Rolex is more modern in appearance than the Cartier.

Finally, while I would not purchase the watch as an "investment," the Rolex will have considerably better resale value than the Cartier.

Reactions: jpezmom
I love the Tank, but it is a quartz movement, and I just couldn't justify paying such a high price for a quartz movement. I have 2 Rolexes and I love them. Also, Rolex holds its price a lot better than Cartier watches do. Check out resale sites or ebay and see how much Cartier depreciates, just as another thing to consider.
I LOVE the everose DJ! I 1000% think go for the Rolex!
I dont think that is true. I saw somewhere recently the opposite...... i was researching rolexes.

Hi everyone,

Have you tried them both on? I saw shocked at how pinky the rose gold rolex is. I had my heart set on it for christmas then changed my mind after seeing it ( much darker than online). I have the tank f and love it! But both are nice. I would go with yellow gold in rolex though.

Have you tried them both on? I saw shocked at how pinky the rose gold rolex is. I had my heart set on it for christmas then changed my mind after seeing it ( much darker than online). I have the tank f and love it! But both are nice. I would go with yellow gold in rolex though.
I’ve tried on the Rolex in all RS and TT RS and it didn’t seem too pink at all! The lighting and your skin tone could both be factors.

My tank is automatic. I have the stainless and love it.

I think, between these two, I’d pick the Rolex. The tank looks too close to yellow gold (and the eighties) to me.