Cartier - Santos Demoiselle or Tank Francaise?

Hello, I own a Tank Louis Cartier (gold, small size, black leather band) for years now and love it to bits. I usually wear it every day, but because of the leather band I don´t want to wear it during really hot summer days, while skiing, cooking a whole menue and doing the washing up etc.

For our anniversary in the summer of this year, my dh promised to buy me another cartier watch with a metall band.

I had a look at the tank watches with metall band, but they all seemed a little bit too sporty for me. The tank francaise is the one I like best of all the tank watches with metall band, but she is also a bit on the sporty side. Then the sa showed me the santos demoiselle (small size, I am not the person for larger watches as I would like to archive a classic, elegant look) and I loved it immediatly. My dh and dd like it best on my wrist, too.

But know I have second thoughts (I don´t want to make a mistake ;)):

Is the santos demoiselle a real classic? The tank seems to be more popular.
Is it too small? I am petite and I have small wrists, and I never considered my small tank Louis Cartier to be too small, but, you know...
As I normally wear gold jewelly, I would choose a two-tone-watch. Are these less classic than one tone watches?

Thank you for reading and I would appreciate your opinion!

I would absolutely go with the Demoiselle! It's more ladylike in my opinion...but I do have a Tank Francaise and dying to get a Demoiselle, so...
Buy what you like best and don't worry about what is more "popular". I think it's great to have a watch that is not seen on every other wrist...and if you two like it so much better like you said then it is crystal clear to me. You didn't like the Tank francaise, but the Demoiselle. Your only concern is, if you go with the most classic, well then I can assure you that the Demoiselle is as classic as the Tank Francaise. They are both very "old" styles and you don't have to be afraid that it will go out of style or will be dicontinued...like it happened with the roadster.
I'm envying you for getting such a great present. Lucky you, enjoy!
Oh and for the two-tone issue. I don't like it while others do very much. I think it looks old and dated in my opinion...plain stainless steel looks more elegant and classy to me.

Last edited:
Thank you for your opinion. Now I am debating with myself at the moment if I like the two-tone or not...

I am wearing a simple yellow gold wedding band and a lot of antique jewellery which is yellow gold as well. However, I own some art deco pieces where yellow gold and white gold is mixed as well, I like the mixture there... But do you think a plain stainless steel watch is okay with gold jewellery?

Decision, decisions... but I tend towards the Demoiselle at the moment :smile:

In terms of two-tone I like the look of the demoiselle. I think the tank francaise is prettier in all one color metal, either all SS or all gold. I think both are beautiful watches but do find the demoiselle a drop dressier. I hear you though on wanting a watch that is classic and doesn't get discontinued for fear that it would look dated but I still wouldn't let that sway me from what I really prefer and find more aesthetic which in this case seems to be your preference for the demoiselle. I think since you tried on both and your family thought the demoiselle suited you better that you'd probably be happier with that choice. Even if the watch gets discontinued it will still look classic and will make it that much more special that you have one and you don't have to see it on everyone else. ;)

Thank you for your opinion. I like the look of the demoiselle a lot (the look of the tank francaise as well, but I think on my wrist I slightly prefer the demoiselle).

But I haven´t made up my mind yet if I would like to have a demioselle all ss or tt...

I am petite and have tiny wrists too :smile: I loveeee my tank francaise.. It is lovely and elegant. Goes beatuifully with my fine gold jewellery. On the other hand, I feel it does not go with any of my fashion jewelry or casual outfits. So depends what you use it for. Heres a pic of mine :smile:

image.jpeg

I am petite and have tiny wrists too :smile: I loveeee my tank francaise.. It is lovely and elegant. Goes beatuifully with my fine gold jewellery. On the other hand, I feel it does not go with any of my fashion jewelry or casual outfits. So depends what you use it for. Heres a pic of mine :smile:

View attachment 2461746
Thank you for your picture. I like your tank francaise a lot! Is it all stainless steel or two tone?

I always wear a yellow gold wedding band and a saphire on a yellow gold necklace. Furthermore I own serveral pieces of antique jewellery (diamond rings, earrings) which I wear sometimes. I have got more elegant outfits as well as more casual outfits, but my clothes are never really "sportive".

The picture might not be too clear, sorry about that, I used my iphone. Its actually full gold :smile: You should try both options on your wrist at the shop if possible. Then you will know which one suits you better. I like to keep trying things on my hand till I connect with 'the one'

Full gold is wonderful, what a lovely watch!

I am going to visit a Cartier boutique at the end of the month and I talked to the sa on the phone. I will try the demoiselle and the tank francaise both in ss and tt - and I hope I will feel clearly which is "my" watch...

Hmm, I had the same choice to make. I am also petite with tiny wrists (I wear a love bracelet size 16 and it's slightly too large)
I could only afford the SS demoiselle or tank, in the end I went for the small tank as I found the demoiselle to be a bit too shiny.

The tank is a great understated yet classic and stylish watch. I can wear it to any occasion, which is great

Good luck with your choice!

I have the midsize SS Tank franchise and I also prefer that over the demoiselle. I wear it with any attire but it looks best with a pencil skirt, high heels, and a white (or color) v-neck blouse with rolled sleeves --love it, very smart looking!

I have the française in ss/gold and a panthere (demoiselle replaced the panthere) in ss. I love the delicate nature of the demoiselle and it is less likely to get knocked off. Looking to buy on in gold sometime in the next five years.