Cartier Quartz watch - Lifetime item or fashion item only?

anemonefish

Jan 9, 2009
Hi!
I got a Cartier Moonphas Two Tone Santos in the early 90s. It was a limited edition I believe and cost alot of money. About NZ$6700- (I was in New Zealand at the time).

I bought it as I always love Cartier items.

Anyhow, the movement started playing up. When I set the watch it would immediately loose 10-13 min. I took it to a few watchmakers but none could fix. They told me the quartz movement is at fault and only Cartier could repair.

I sent it to Cartier and they have quoted $500- to repair/service/overhaul.

I am a bit disappointed that quartz can be like this..... I mean I was hoping to pass this watch down the family line ...... but it seems quartz only has a life of 20 years (at best). I am not talking about battery changes - I have done heaps of these - and no - a battery did not leak.

I am upset that quartz does not last forever. A mechanical watch could be 50,60,70 years old and still get serviced and function perfectly.

I paid a high price for this watch because it is a moonphase item.

HAVE ANY OTHER HAD ISSUE WITH QUARTZ BEFORE? I WAS HOPING TO GET A QUART PATEK PHILLIPE BUT NOW I AM WORRIED ABOUT FUTURE REPAIR/SERVICE COSTS.

100_0567.jpg

I'm really sorry to hear about your watch, I'd probably be upset too it's a good thing cartier stand by their product..

Last edited:
never had a problem either (with quartz that is once had problems with an automatic but that also got repaired) but the service fee cartier quoted you (around 500$)seems to be within normal range .

watch maintenance is somethin one should do anyways every few years no matter if quartz or automatic or handwound

unfortunately any marterial posession can break down but as long as a company stands behind their product and can repair/ overhaul it (even with a fee) it is fine .enjoy your watch and also do not let let this unfortunate episode put you off from going the patek route !
all of these watches are passing down worthy pieces!