Cartier in Paris

I would take the appropriate precautions from the suggestions given above.
Not sure what time of day you intend to make this purchase (first thing in the morning or
late day not that should make any difference) but just make sure that ring is secure on you
(in your pocket) & not carry a Cartier shopping bag.
A 15 minute walk can be longer when you may be feeling a little uneasy about carrying a
purchase so the option of a cab or Uber should be considered
If Cartier can arrange delivery to your hotel I might consider that. The usual protocol is that
your packaged once delivered to the hotel is then delivered to your room. Not sure how
comfortable you might be knowing this engagement ring will be in your hotel room until you
return from a day being out & about in Paris.
Think smart & of course Paris is one of the most romantic cities to have this experience.
Enjoy!!

Reactions: JulieKat and 880
Congrats on your engagement!

I live in Paris, I take the metro all the time and I'm very cautious.

I'd avoid carrying any paperbags with the Cartier logo out in public, not even the white discreet paperbags. Wear the ring right from the store, turn the diamond around so it just looks like a simple band from the outside. Walk with your hands in your pocket?

I always believe having the ring on your finger is the safest full-proof method to never losing it (unless you get mugged like Kim K). I don't trust hotel safes either so wouldn't want to leave any precious items in the hotel room.

Hi all, my fiance-to-be and I have a trip to Paris planned later this month, and I wanted to surprise her, with a Cartier 1895 Engagement ring.
I will probably buy the ring the the 'Rue de la paix' boutique, and heard that Paris has A lot of pickpocketing, mugging and robbings.

My hotel is 15 minute walk from the boutique, so I planned on walking from the boutique straight to the hotel.
I wanted to ask for your opinion if it is safe to do so, and if maybe I should reconsider.
I will not be carrying a Cartier bag, and will put it inside my backpack.

Thank in advance :smile:
I like shopping as early in the day as possible. I have a weird impression that if there would be any criminal activity happening it would be less likely to happen in the AM, if anything you can hire private transport/ Uber for travelling back

Thank you all for your responses!! I appreciate them very much!!
So, do you think it will be ok if I take an Uber / Cab instead straight to the hotel?
will the risk be lower this way?

Thanks again!! :smile:

Thank you all for your responses!! I appreciate them very much!!
So, do you think it will be ok if I take an Uber / Cab instead straight to the hotel?
will the risk be lower this way?

Thanks again!! :smile:
The risk is for you to be aware of your surroundings when you leave Cartier
There should be no problem calling an Uber from Cartier walking out when the Uber
arrives & then getting to your hotel.
There are times when a SA will gladly accompany you to your car if you ask & that
could make you feel perhaps more in your comfort zone

Thank you, and Last question, should I take an Uber, or ask Cartier to order me a Taxi?
Is there a difference in my arrival to the hotel with the e-ring intact? (We don't have Uber here so I don't really know)
Thanks!!

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement! You‘ve picked the most romantic, stunning city for such a momentous occasion!

As previous posters have mentioned, Paris is really quite safe for such a large city, you just have to be aware, and smart. I’m in Paris 4+ times a year, and the only time I’ve personally witnessed an issue, was when my Dad‘s wallet was almost stolen out of his pocket - but that was because he had stupidly put it in his back pocket! :shocked:

Uber really is a great option to get you from Cartier to your hotel. It’s affordable, and you get door-to-door service - I would definitely request the car while you’re still inside Cartier.

Regardless of how you plan on getting to your hotel, I’d unquestionably put the ring in a bag that’s securely on your person - i.e. a regular crossbody bag. As others have also mentioned, don’t leave the store carrying the Cartier branded bag. Bring a plain reusable tote bag with you, and put the Cartier bag, wrapping, etc. in the tote. And lastly - easier said than done - but try not to act nervous. Pickpockets will totally pick up on that.

ETA - since you mentioned that you’re not familiar with Uber, make sure you download the app, create an account, and have everything set up before you go to Paris!

Last edited: