Cartier Diamants Leger vs Tiffany DBTY

Never tried Tiffany but anyone having a size debate on cartier…large model all the way! Went with yellow gold LM and haven’t regretted it since! I don’t think its “too big” at all and both the diamond and the chain really sparkle! Below is also a picture of the SM next to a yg LM and rg LM (i dont remember which is which). Also included a layering pic with my vca guilloche
473BADAB-6934-497E-86E3-0726D6AB1E06.jpeg178B6C9A-B333-4DA4-A351-EF0258AD144A.jpeg
6C34DF1A-A5F4-4B25-9F43-ECD7BB1C4868.jpeg

I'm new and am bumping this old thread because I just watched an unboxing video on YT. The lady in the video stated that she was told by her SA at Cartier that the Legers diamond in the LM necklace is actually illusion set with tiny diamonds and not a solitaire?? Is this true? I was thinking I wanted this necklace and not Tiffany, but now I'm unsure!

By the way I've been lurking for years but finally joined with this very important question/concern! :wave: Love this place!

I'm new and am bumping this old thread because I just watched an unboxing video on YT. The lady in the video stated that she was told by her SA at Cartier that the Legers diamond in the LM necklace is actually illusion set with tiny diamonds and not a solitaire?? Is this true? I was thinking I wanted this necklace and not Tiffany, but now I'm unsure!

By the way I've been lurking for years but finally joined with this very important question/concern! :wave: Love this place!
Welcome to the forum! Can you reference the video?

Hi- I replied yesterday with the link but it's held up in moderation. The title of the YT video is "Cartier Love Necklace 3 Diamonds Unboxing". During the last part of her video she explains why she didn't buy the Legers necklace and shares what the Cartier SA told her about it.

Thanks for that! I wonder why the woman in the video was misled, or perhaps she misunderstood. In any case she is spreading misinformation that could harm sales and the reputation of the Legers! I'm leaning towards the Legers now.

Reactions: neopeipei
Thanks. I did see the website description and double-checked after watching the video. The word "totaling" made me wonder since it doesn't state "one" diamond even though "diamond" is singular, not plural. I actually had never heard of an illusion set diamond before so wanted to be doubly sure. I of course would ask an SA prior to purchasing, if did decide on it, but didn't want to embarrass myself by asking in case it was a crazy question. It makes it sound cheap, and that is something Cartier is not!

Thanks. I did see the website description and double-checked after watching the video. The word "totaling" made me wonder since it doesn't state "one" diamond even though "diamond" is singular, not plural. I actually had never heard of an illusion set diamond before so wanted to be doubly sure. I of course would ask an SA prior to purchasing, if did decide on it, but didn't want to embarrass myself by asking in case it was a crazy question. It makes it sound cheap, and that is something Cartier is not!

You’re right. The word “totaling” is unsettling now that you’ve pointed it out. I went to the website and looked up the Love Ring with 1 diamond as a benchmark and the description is also unsettling “Love wedding band, 18K yellow gold, set with 1 brilliant-cut diamonds totaling 0.02 carats. Width: 4mm.” ie it says “1” but then it says “totaling” and diamond is pluralized! Or it also could be bad proofreading of the website

I learned about illusion diamonds in the past month. My favourite jeweller posted about it on IG - they created a multi-carat emerald cut ring. The result was a big stone! Impressive.

I was also considering the Diamants Legers LM but decided to go with this jeweller to make a solitaire diamond bezel necklace with them. I gave them the same budget as the DL LM and they were able to find me a 0.46 carat hearts and arrows E colour VS2 which is nearly the same as my e ring specs. A few hours after I confirmed with the jeweller, I saw the video posted above. How ironic!

Yes, you must definitely ask your SA about the DL’s diamond. It really is about getting the best value and knowing what you’re getting.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DaintyDiamonds
I have translated the description from the French site: ‘Diamants Légers large model necklace, 18K yellow gold (750/1000), set with a brilliant-cut diamond of 0.18 carat. Pattern diameter 5.48mm. Chain length from 380 to 410mm.’
It’s badly translated to English, it’s really one diamond solitaire.

Yeah, I don't think it would make sense if it's an illusion diamond - too complicated and illusion diamonds are usually to create much bigger diamonds. YAY! Thanks for the translation :biggrin: